The Martian (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Ridley Scott is heading back to space for The Martian starring Matt Damon

Guess I better scrape plans for my Mars movie script treatment now.

From wiki: The Martian is based on the novel which was self published by Andy Weir in 2012. He put the book online for free on his website and later due to demand offered a Amazon Kindle version for 99 cents. Crown Publishing purchased the rights and re-published it in early 2014. 20th Century acquired film rights in 2013.

I would prefer Ridley Scott to create this new sci-fi standalone film, instead of the Prometheus sequel. And then perhaps follow it up with the Blade Runner sequel.

Re: The Martian

I had heard so much great stuff about the book. Just finally now getting around to reading it. Its really awesome. I can't see Matt Damon as the lead, though. I like him as an actor, but just not as Mark Watley. I really love all the humor in the book. Hope they can translate that to the film.

This movie will hopefully have new type of interresting space suit to copy.

You can find this books as audiobook from you tube. If you havent red it yet, you should do it immediately.

I'm curious to see what this will turn into as it's adapted for the big screen. Considering 95% of the book is lengthy detailed monologues about trouble shooting technical problems. I don't see them devoting large chunks of screen time to Matt Damon soldering stuff with a voice over explaining the martian atmosphere's effect on electronics.

May have been better suited as a series if they wanted to get into the technical minutia that made the book interesting and unique.

I eagerly anticipate seeing how Matt Damon insinuates man's avarice is the cause of Mars' inhospitabiliy...

First Look at Matt Damon and the Practical Rover in Ridley Scott’s THE MARTIAN

Author Andy Weir:

"Matt Damon's assistant, Colin (a hardcore Seattle Seahawks fan) lost their Super Bowl bet. So now he has to wear a Patriots jersey for a year.

And hey, look at that name patch on Matt's shirt! :) "

11056572_717286745037287_2725650837192220647_n.jpg

20th Century Fox's presentation at CinemaCon.

devincf: THE MARTIAN: OH WOW! It looks ******* awesome. Damon says "I have to science the s*** out of this.

colliderfrosty: THE MARTIAN extended trailer was fantastic. Cast and visuals for Ridley Scott's film look awesome. Def going to be a big hit.

EricVespe: First footage of Ridley Scott's The Martian looked great. Damon stranded on Mars. Think a more action-y Apollo 13

EricVespe: The Martian: Damon is stranded on Mars. Rescue is 4 yrs away, he has 31 days life support. "I'm gonna have to science the s*** outta this."

colliderfrosty: Best of the panel was THE REVENANT and THE MARTIAN. Both looked awesome and impressive for different reasons. Fox is going to have huge year

Cinemacon: Matt Damon Sciences The **** Out Of THE MARTIAN Footage | Badass Digest
More info on the footage. Even more excited about this movie now.

Last edited:

I like that suit design - I wonder if Ridley used the same costume designer on Prometheus?

I see Ridley Scott has become the master of the Tall Space Helmet.

I consider my self a spacesuit connoisseur, but I'm not sure about this Martian suit. It seems kind of all over the place, design wise.

We'll have to see more of it. But so far I'm getting that it looks too much like the Prometheus suits, and it seems to have lots of purposeless straps and buckles on it.

It's nice to see folks giving a chance to the unknown self published authors instead of well known crap like Twilight.

And something realistically researched to boot, I wonder if Scott is on board with realism too?

Just being a space nut here, that suit does not look very pressurized. Mars is nearly vacuum for all reasonable purposes for a human.

Maybe some new tech underneath I always imagine.I know there were more form fitting concepts that were supposed to provide
more mobility.

Last edited:

There are two ways to go with space suits.. either high-pressure air, to balloon them up, or else skintight fabric that basically holds the body together with physical force. There is a concept that's been around awhile called the "Biosuit", which uses the skintight pressure approach. NASA has never used them yet though.

main-qimg-a12f12b1212c1212b1212d12121212121212cdbfd0b1212f1212.jpeg

So on Damon's suit we might just be seeing a tough outer jumpsuit that protects the biosuit. It would not have to be pressurized.

In the novel as I recall, the astronauts wore typical pressurized NASA balloon suits.

The Prometheus suits certainly appeared to be the skintight pressure variety.

91_website_image_kykp_standard.jpg

Well he must take that suit off at some point, so maybe we see more details.

Honestly this is the first film I think that has a chance to do Mars right so fingers crossed big time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back