Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

Saw it again tonight, dunno if this was resolved elsewhere, but saw it mentioned in this thread. David actually says to Mother at the end 'New log-in - David (number)', so he wasn't already registered in some unseen conspiracy as someone else suggested.

This presumably means David couldn't enter Walter's code to access the embryo chamber because he didn't know it, which kinds of craps on the David switched bodies with Walter theory, unless it wiped Walter's memory. It also suggests The Covenant has really crappy security protocols.

Yeah, the "new" part toasts any conspiracy theory but it does`nt discount the swap, he just does`nt need to be Walter anymore.

The thought of that guy being in total control over that ship and its contents is very chilling......and from a story sake, kinda awesome.

Maybe I missed that but did they say in the film that humanity had not encountered any other alien life? In Prometheus that was implied but never really said, which made them discovering an ancient alien civilization and seeming so nonplussed was really annoying. Same thing here, they make these astounding discoveries (wheat! a crashed ship!) and they seem only marginally interested.

I'd have to see Prometheus again... but I remember their complete disinterest in a giant, headless, humanoid annoying the **** out of me, but more so that the devout catholic along for the ride wasn't at all "HOLY CRAP!" at the wall depicting a crucified xenomorph (which... David... hadn't... made yet?!?)

alien.jpg

Wow it's getting muddled.

Can David entirely control the ship though? A possible reason for keeping Daniels and Tenessee alive may be that he actually needs a minimal crew on arrival at Origae-6. The Prometheus and Nostromo both seemed to require multiple human crew members to effect landing. The Sulaco appeared to be entireley automated, but designed to stay in orbit.

Yeah, the "new" part toasts any conspiracy theory but it does`nt discount the swap, he just does`nt need to be Walter anymore.

The thought of that guy being in total control over that ship and its contents is very chilling......and from a story sake, kinda awesome.

I'd have to see Prometheus again... but I remember their complete disinterest in a giant, headless, humanoid annoying the **** out of me, but more so that the devout catholic along for the ride wasn't at all "HOLY CRAP!" at the wall depicting a crucified xenomorph (which... David... hadn't... made yet?!?)

View attachment 731383

What disinterest?! Fifield and Millburn freaked out and took off. The crew had been briefed on why they were going there. The scientists went there specifically to find aliens. They expected/hoped to find them and reacted as scientists would. The grunts reacted as a grunt would.

What disinterest?! Fifield and Millburn freaked out and took off. The crew had been briefed on why they were going there. The scientists went there specifically to find aliens. They expected/hoped to find them and reacted as scientists would. The grunts reacted as a grunt would.

I did say I needed to see it again, but I just remember thinking "This is the first sighting of Alien life and it's practically human, and no one seems to be that shocked!"

And no one I know but me even noticed the "***** ****** pose" alien, so it wasn't at all pointed out by the devout catholic.

btw, I actually REALLY like Prometheus. A lot.

In Covenant no one gave a rats ass at all about what was going on. How far into the wheat field before anyone mentioned it. They were only a hundred feet from the alien ship when they started talking about it, but no one seemed interested.

A crew member is screaming like she's gonna die about a guy being sick, but everyone still walked and took their time getting back to the ship....

David scares off aliens from killing them and everyone just follows him, not one person going "WHY IS THERE A WALTER HERE?!?!"

Someone see's the girl from prometheus's dog tags and no "holy crap!"... the other even looks before saying "Weiland...."

Let's have some REAL reactions here. We're not robots in the future.

If it wasn't Star Wars night, I'd be all over watching Prometheus again.

View attachment 731383

To be fair that just as much resembles the Deacon or Neomorphs.

I like Prometheus, too. Lots of faults. But, it was tantalizing. I, too picked up on the ******-like pose. Even the Engineer in the beginning in his loin cloth had a ******-like look about him, and the whole notion of sacrificing himself for the creation of new life. The drinking of the black goo/ wine. In the context of Ridley's comments about ******, it seemed to make sense on some levels. But, now that he's blown that all to Hell, it changes or destroys the intriguing bits about Prometheus.

To be fair that just as much resembles the Deacon or Neomorphs.

*high pitch* yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh *high pitch*.... but I don't think that was the idea.

I think Ridley knew if he didn't get to the xenormorph sooner than later, he was going to have problems.

or Prometheus would have been called "Alien: Prometheus" or Covenant would have been called just "Covenant" (or "Paradise Lost") with no Alien in the title....

- - - Updated - - -

I like Prometheus, too. Lots of faults. But, it was tantalizing. I, too picked up on the ******-like pose. Even the Engineer in the beginning in his loin cloth had a ******-like look about him, and the whole notion of sacrificing himself for the creation of new life. The drinking of the black goo/ wine. In the context of Ridley's comments about ******, it seemed to make sense on some levels. But, now that he's blown that all to Hell, it changes or destroys the intriguing bits about Prometheus.

I wanted MORE on where he was going with his religious take... THAT was interesting.

Actually the idea that David, with a creator complex, made the Xenormorphs was a great idea... and one of the few things I liked. It was just in a story I've seen done better.... twice (and a half... I actually enjoy "Resurrection")

Yeah Im fearful the Engineer story line is dead but unless that's David in that crashed derelict flight suit or a hapless colonist they have to be back for Paradise to lead into ALIEN.

Can David entirely control the ship though? A possible reason for keeping Daniels and Tenessee alive may be that he actually needs a minimal crew on arrival at Origae-6. The Prometheus and Nostromo both seemed to require multiple human crew members to effect landing. The Sulaco appeared to be entireley automated, but designed to stay in orbit.

I`m just assuming that he and MUTHUR are as one and have it covered and Daniels and Tenessee are just there in case of emergency. Tipping his plan is for them is not to be involved in Origae 6 in any fashion, loose ends and all. Maybe theres enough training and planning already with those sleeping that they could carry on without the main flight crew.
David is HAL on crack, they may not even be heading to Origae-6.:wacko

C'mon dude, did you watch the movie or doze off, mmmm? :cool

A crew member is screaming like she's gonna die about a guy being sick, but everyone still walked and took their time getting back to the ship....

The others also had an infected crew member with them, who they were struggling with to return

David scares off aliens from killing them and everyone just follows him, not one person going "WHY IS THERE A WALTER HERE?!?!"

They knew all about the Prometheus survivors by then.

Someone see's the girl from prometheus's dog tags and no "holy crap!"... the other even looks before saying "Weiland...."

Not what happened. Daniels and Walter found the dogtag and photo of Elizabeth and Charlie, Walter immediately recapped the story and Daniels expressed wtf amazement and sadness at Shaw's situation. Meanwhile the other team found Shaw's hologram ...and expressed WTF & sadness at Shaw's fat
e :lol

Yeah Im fearful the Engineer story line is dead but unless that's David in that crashed derelict flight suit or a hapless colonist they have to be back for Paradise to lead into ALIEN.

Spot on. Maybe we'll get an Engineer revenge story: 'Kill Dave - Pts 1 & 2' :)

Just saw this last night. I dont really have much to add, it was enjoyable to see on the big screen, but the CGI work, and ferocity of the neomorphs was just too much CGI motion blur. I hate not being able to see whats going on, and just a thrashing of limbs and white bugs the crap out of me. I get they are supposed to be bestial and other worldly, but cmon. Also, Im still not sold on the motivations of David, considering he is an android, peoples reactions to there being a walter on the planet that nobody surveyed etc, not wearing helmets, the blind stupidity of the crew... I just dont get people defending the STUPID decisions these people make in these movies, and to me, its hack writing. Especially the part where the captain hovers over the egg. Its not suspenseful if we know what happens. Nobody in their right mind would trust a person, let alone a robot, follow them in a dank cave, and look into an egg for an ungodly amount of time. The visuals were great, and the production was awesome, but man. The writing! Also, why would a 10 year old model of David/Walter still have access codes to a ship that may or may not be funded by Weyland/Yutani? Was the company mentioned at all in Covenant? In prometheus they explained why they were funding a trillion dollar expedition. This one didnt explain anything. I think it was just a case of Ridley pouting that his last Alien/***** movie didnt get the results he wanted, so he puked up what he thought people would like/make money.

Also there were SO many Blade Runner references which I thought was really odd. Really pushing the "shared universe" thing.

which kinds of craps on the David switched bodies with Walter theory, unless it wiped Walter's memory.

I thought that theory was debunked since Walter's android body can heal, where as David's doesn't. He needed to be stitched after all.

I thought that theory was debunked since Walter's android body can heal, where as David's doesn't. He needed to be stitched after all.
Yeah thats what I figured too. And how would he actually have done it, especially since David is a previous model, and none of that kind of tech has been explained in the other movies, which are farther in the time line.

I love how some people can so easily drop themselves in to these situations and then so easily predict how they will behave and react to them. Who are the robots again?

Walter is running USB : 5,000,000
David is running USB : 4.000.000

If Ridley Scott had cast an Aussie Prometheus crew member, that Hammerpede thing woulda turned out a ****load different.:devil
k1.jpg k2.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt it we will not be that lucky!

I can't wait to see how it does this weekend, I think it will be DOA

It's been a week and it still hasn't hit 50 million in the US. Worldwide, it still hasn't hit profit territory. Is this bad enough to stop the sequels?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back