The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

Yeah I can't stand it when characters don't react. For example, I've been playing The Witcher 3 and I've slept with EVERY woman I can convince, cajole, or pay for (you get XP for it) and yet my girlfriend Yennifer only gets upset if you pick the other main choice, who is her friend. You'd think a sorceress would know about that and be a little upset. Either that or she is very understanding...

Knowing the characters in the witcher she's probably just resigned herself to the fact that he's a manwhore lol. It's funny in New Vegas every little thing ticked people off and in 4 nobody gives two craps about anything.

Yeah I can't stand it when characters don't react. For example, I've been playing The Witcher 3 and I've slept with EVERY woman I can convince, cajole, or pay for (you get XP for it) and yet my girlfriend Yennifer only gets upset if you pick the other main choice, who is her friend. You'd think a sorceress would know about that and be a little upset. Either that or she is very understanding...

Just saw a Just Cause 3 video where a plane crashed in town and an engine lands behind 2 guys and they pay absolutely no attention to it lol

Oh another favorite is in games, new games, where you snipe a guy standing next to another guy, and the live dude just keeps on doing whatever he's doing. He's not concerned his buddy's head just exploded; he might not even have noticed.

Yeah a lot of the youtube stuff I watch points that out and everyone has a good laugh. Game makers are getting lazy and focusing on making the games shiny and pretty instead. Just Cause 3 tends to do that but then it just lets you live out every over the top action movie dream ever so it gets a free pass lol.

Speaking of the Witcher 3, anybody else find the controls clunky as hell ? Especially combat ? Oh and good lord is my Geralt weak and slow to level. Nearly every quest is too high level for me and I get butchered by practically anything... I've been told to brew more potions and oil, but despite picking flowers and stuff every chance I get, I have tons of ingredients but none of them combine to make anything ! I think my 500 hours in Skyrim are keeping me from fully enjoy this game, despite being interested in the story so far. It's the mechanics that are ruining for me ...

It does take some getting used to after playing Skyrim. I didn't feel like the combat was bad at all, the third person takes some getting used to though. At first, up to like level 20 it does seem like it takes forever to level up, but it gets faster after that. Just stick to missions that you're leveled to. You can usually take on enemies that are a few levels higher, if you have oils for your sword. I wouldn't even waste time with potions other than Killer Whale (breathe longer underwater), Cat (see in the dark, which Witchers are supposed to be able to do on their own...), and then one other that gives you a carrying weight boost. Otherwise potions were kind of useless. Ingredients and crafting material have no weight so pick up everything you can find.

I think tonight I'm finally going to finish Blood and Wine and this game is so freaking huge that it actually feels like a journey afterwards! I think they said just Blood and Wine was the size of Witcher 2.

Yeah a lot of the youtube stuff I watch points that out and everyone has a good laugh. Game makers are getting lazy and focusing on making the games shiny and pretty instead. Just Cause 3 tends to do that but then it just lets you live out every over the top action movie dream ever so it gets a free pass lol.
Hey. I asked you a question pal. Scroll up. :devil

Sorry my attention span isn't very good at times lol. I want to do a mame cabinet to, i have a book on it but getting the games is a pain in the butt as they always seem to be updating to a new system. At least running old consoles games on a pc is straightforward, though someone's going to need to make new emulators at some point as windows changes. I have a retro pi i really need to setup too. I was trying to get my one psp set up to run old games but i lost the email of the guy, i think he was on here actually. I'd say nearly half of my collection is vintage games with my earliest consoles being a pair of pong machines. We had a bunch of old tvs that would have been good for a cabinet but they were all worn out so bad that even cranking up the brightness didn't help.

What's the weirdest power up or boost you've seen in a game? Because I just rubbed a statue's balls in The Witcher 3 so I can run indefinitely outside of combat... I'm dead serious. :lol

I'd have to say that beats most I know of. Some of the hidden weapons in Dead Rising are out there like the megaman costume or the sex toy cannon.

What's the weirdest power up or boost you've seen in a game? Because I just rubbed a statue's balls in The Witcher 3 so I can run indefinitely outside of combat... I'm dead serious. :lol

Once upon a time I played an old FPS game called Roger Ramrod. All the various powerups in that game were very... detailed.

I think this thread lacks screenshots, so here are some :)
Don't you just hate it when you leave the base, some random NPC has gotten stuck in the stairs..... some how :wacko
wmusLjI.jpg

d3ecpCi.jpg

Or like when developers are too lazy(maybe?) to place graffiti on the actual wall, instead of just leaving it floating in mid-air
XNHQX0D.jpg

93hbwzE.jpg

jT9Qtfw.jpg

"lets use a PS one era texture here, and lets just leave this big giant hole in the side of the building for everyone to see" :p
6KosnJN.jpg

the graphics are nice and smooth, but i don't know if i want different with a mario game. i just want standard mario that is CHALLENGING. something the stuff beyond the galaxy games where not. and are we going back to the plot line that mario is from the real world?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful looking stuff up on the game, supposedly there's a lot of leaks including the entire ending. Supposedly the game takes 40 hours if you look for everything, has no story dlc coming but of course has friggin' pvp dlc. Mind you the leaks are to be taken with a grain of salt but the pvp crap rubs me the wrong way as i'm sick of it being put into games that don't need it.

the graphics are nice and smooth, but i don't know if i want different with a mario game. i just want standard mario that is CHALLENGING. something the stuff beyond the galaxy games where not. and are we going back to the plot line that mario is from the real world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

From the look of the trailer it seems you bounce back and forth between a "real" world and a more typical fantasy one. Guess we'll see!

Pre-ordered my Switch today. Can't wait until March!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back