Help me look forward to the Han Solo new movie - spoilers for TFA within

What about his 1st old lady that he just left hanging in the sand box? Runs off and hooks up with the princess. Dude is a gold digger and only thinks of himself. That's why his last name is Solo. Chewie?..well every man needs a dog as their best friend. I want to know what they will do with that part of him. They should do a Han & lando college years

I didn't get that she lost, as in she pushed them both away, more in, they both left her... but I only saw it once, maybe I missed it.

Yep, you missed it. ;) It's definitely there.

As for the cause thing, he did have one. Defeat the Empire with his friends. He did that, so I'm not sure why you think he abandoned it.

Glunark, I agree with Riceball... Captain Mal didn't kill innocent people, didn't even abandon people, if he could help, he did. And he gave Jane a second chance, even though he didn't deserve it for turning in River - so I don't remember that episode exactly, but whoever that guy was, he must have been very bad.

As for the cause thing, he did have one. Defeat the Empire with his friends. He did that, so I'm not sure why you think he abandoned it.

Well yeah, my point is before A New Hope, Han didn't have any reason not to be a scoundrel. But, in my book, he turned back into one. :(

I was hoping to have my mind changed, but I seem to be digging deeper into my own take on it. I'm still open, though... I guess to make it acceptable that he left I'll have to make Leia into a person who would have chased him off for some reason... or who was emotionally distant/cold, which I just don't see because as tough as she was in the original movies, she had so many moments where she softened and let that side of her connect with both Luke and Han.

Well yeah, my point is before A New Hope, Han didn't have any reason not to be a scoundrel. But, in my book, he turned back into one. :(

I think you're putting too much of your own exposition into it. At no point does anyone say that Han left her in her moment of need or anything like that. She specifically says she drove him and Ben away (which he then says it was his fault too).

I guess to make it acceptable that he left I'll have to make Leia into a person who would have chased him off for some reason... or who was emotionally distant/cold, which I just don't see because as tough as she was in the original movies, she had so many moments where she softened and let that side of her connect with both Luke and Han.

Her character has always been one where appearances matter. I *TOTALLY* see her has a character who would throw herself into her work and become emotionally distant if something like Ben's turn happened. It would be traumatic for both of them and would definitely be a wedge between them. Also, I don't get that she "chased" them away either. As I said, neither of them are the bad guy and yet both are at fault.

Think of the scene in ESB when Han is leaving and says "I guess this is goodbye" and she, despite the fact we know she has feelings for him, just says "yep" and he storms off hurt and upset. She follows him and they have a fight, in which she acts cold and argumentative to hide her true feelings. Han is up front with her but she just won't admit that he's right. She won't open up to him.

Now, think of a similar scene after Ben's defection to Snoke but Leia doesn't follow Han. Is it his fault? No, not really. Is it her fault? No, not really. They're both dealing with something that was probably their ultimate worst fear. It's devastating and it puts a wall between them that in their current state they can't overcome. They need each other but neither of them can be there for each other. I've seen it happen in real life.

I can start to see the point... Thanks for explaining it, Michael

I am obviously biased towards Leia. :D I'll have to work on being more fair if I want to enjoy the young Han movie.

I like Mal as much as the next guy, but his moral code didn't stop him kicking an handcuffed prisoner into a jet engine.

Oh yeah, I remember now - is that clip supposed to support your case? :lol By moral code I didn't mean pacifist or turning bad guys into the authorities... he wouldn't have kicked any and every prisoner into the engines, this guy worked for the most notorious torturer and bad dude and Mal wasn't even going to do business with his boss he was so bad. So it was either do away with him then or have to do it later... I believe Mal did get caught by that guy's boss and was tortured and had his ear cut off... So yeah, bad dude.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back