Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

I watched this a second time last night. Now I'm convinced that Luke has been channeling some influence through Rey. Whenever Rey pilots the Falcon or even shoots the pistol she looks surprised or acting as if she's been guided. Maybe I'm reading into it but that's sure how it looks.

I'll be disappointed if it was Luke guiding her physically - Anakin didn't need that to fly pod racers, why should Rey?

I'm alos going with the idea that someone else brought up somewhere in this thread, that Kylo was accidentally teaching her - in the latter part, at least.

There was one point in the movie where Rey and Kylo were light saber battling and he said something about the Force and it clicked in her mind.

The music went quieter, she said, "The Force!" and she became very calm and focused. After that she definitely became more powerful and was actively using the Force.

The more I think about the idea where luke isn't in this film, the more i like it. Everything with the map and artoo and taking a 30 second trip to see Him didn't feel like a journey. BB8 should have had a clue to find him, not his address. Maybe his information was that luke went to the first jedi temple...wherever that is

The end of the movie should have ended up with them boarding the falcon to head off...much like the end of empire.

So then the next movie begins with them breaking into the jedi temple (what remains of it) on the first order controlled coruscant to find a holocron with information about the first jedi temple.

Let's make a real quest out of this!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Although I like where your head's at, and agree with the 30 second trip being a bit....rushed....but they had to do more then just mention him. The film, although well paced, was almost 2 1/2 hours long. Had they done the ending different I think you would have ruined the pacing of the film or gotten the ROTS treatment with too many endings. Or at least the feel. Wouldn't have been enough, at least not for me, to just hear about Luke. I think the 1 minute he was in the film and just the look on his face said so much, yet also left us wondering. Light? Dark? Both? Daughter? Just enough to want more. Ending with them flying off into the stars would have left you too much like ESB, but not in a good way. You know you would have been like, "Ummm where the F is Luke? That's it? They fly away?"

This is the helmet of Captain Dosmit Ræh of the Tierfon Yellow Aces, per the Visual Dictionary. I believe the novel or something mentions that she played with the helmet and imagine the battles Ræh was in,

She says she is a pilot, so I assume she uses the helmet.

Well, Luke had to come up with a name when he hid her on Jakku - couldn't keep the name Kira, Kylo Ben would recognize it.
I still have a problem with Luke being the one to leave her because of the age problem . it does not seem Kylo was 15 when he killed all the other Jedi if that is why Luke left her and disappeared if they would not have shown the end of the massacre in the vision I would have bought it easier but he was the same height and build hard to believe he has not grown at all from 15 to 29 ?!? but like peter told alexander when discussing the titans "who knows these things?"

I'll be disappointed if it was Luke guiding her physically - Anakin didn't need that to fly pod racers, why should Rey?

I'm alos going with the idea that someone else brought up somewhere in this thread, that Kylo was accidentally teaching her - in the latter part, at least.

There was one point in the movie where Rey and Kylo were light saber battling and he said something about the Force and it clicked in her mind.

The music went quieter, she said, "The Force!" and she became very calm and focused. After that she definitely became more powerful and was actively using the Force.

exactly the way I have seen the force used is you listen to it and it tells you what you need to do to accomplish, your goals . take Anakin jumping from the ship to land on Zam's ship I took it the force just told him you wanna catch her jump now and he did he did not see her and calculate it he just believed and listened. even Yoda talks a good game yet is want in the execution he says lifting a small rock is no different than a huge X-Wing but when a Dooku try's to drop the huge metal thing on Anakin and Obi-Wan Yoda has to stop and concentrate. why ? he should have been able to easily push it away and go after Dooku but it was different cuz it was big in his mind and threating his friends he forgot his own training( and they needed Dooku to get away to drive the plot forward.) Rey just listened to the force and let it guide her the way Anakin did pod racing and luke did shooting at the first deth Star . she had no prior bias to think she could not do it . or as I love saying " got no brains to hold you back"

I'm really not getting the criticism of it being a short trip to see Luke. It's not like we had an uninterrupted shot of her boarding the ship, starting it up, taking the trip and arriving. There are edits. There is an implied passage of time between them. It's been done in every movIe for over a century. WTF

Last edited:
Yeah, really. I'm not getting a lot of the criticism to be honest. It seems like some people are trying really hard to not like the movie. It's getting blasted for things a lot of other movies, including the OT, get a pass for.

In ANH, Vader has Captain Antilles on board the Tantive IV looking for the Death Star plans and can't seem to use the Force to get that info.
In TFA, Kylo has Poe Dameron on board the Finalizer looking for the map to Luke Skywalker and uses the Force to get that info.

In ANH, Vader has Leia as prisoner and she's interrogated by Vader and he can't get the location of the Rebel Base. I'm guessing this could be explained by Leia's latent Force ability... similarly, Rey can't seem to be mind probed by Kylo Ren; but, it's obvious her burgeoning Force skills are at play.

"Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable. It will be some time before we can extract any information from her." Now, here Vader implies that that it was the interrogation droid that does the mind probe, not him using the Force. Obviously, Kylo also has a droid present; but, we see him specifically use the Force to get inside her head - he expects to be able to get a full map from Rey that she merely saw (didn't study or memorize it).

I got the feeling from the OT, that you could get more-of-less general feelings from someone's thoughts via Force. However, I get the feeling from TFA that you can use it to outright read minds.

Have we had any solid reasoning on this change yet? I know we probably won't get anything canon about this change in Force ability, but any cool fan theories? (Outside the obvious Kylo Ren is better than that part that Darth Vader was).

In ANH, Vader has Captain Antilles on board the Tantive IV looking for the Death Star plans and can't seem to use the Force to get that info.
In TFA, Kylo has Poe Dameron on board the Finalizer looking for the map to Luke Skywalker and uses the Force to get that info.

In ANH, Vader has Leia as prisoner and she's interrogated by Vader and he can't get the location of the Rebel Base. I'm guessing this could be explained by Leia's latent Force ability... similarly, Rey can't seem to be mind probed by Kylo Ren; but, it's obvious her burgeoning Force skills are at play.

"Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable. It will be some time before we can extract any information from her." Now, here Vader implies that that it was the interrogation droid that does the mind probe, not him using the Force. Obviously, Kylo also has a droid present; but, we see him specifically use the Force to get inside her head - he expects to be able to get a full map from Rey that she merely saw (didn't study or memorize it).

I got the feeling from the OT, that you could get more-of-less general feelings from someone's thoughts via Force. However, I get the feeling from TFA that you can use it to outright read minds.

Have we had any solid reasoning on this change yet? I know we probably won't get anything canon about this change in Force ability, but any cool fan theories? (Outside the obvious Kylo Ren is better than that part that Darth Vader was).

Kylo Ren's over confidence ?

Yeah, really. I'm not getting a lot of the criticism to be honest. It seems like some people are trying really hard to not like the movie. It's getting blasted for things a lot of other movies, including the OT, get a pass for.

I wasn't criticizing . I loved the film and refuse to nitpick. I was merely agreeing with another post as to the rushed space jump. It seemed as though, despite editing, that the trip was very quick. In ANH you see them hanging out on the ship etc implying a longer flight. This isn't something that bothers me at all though. I can deal with minor things like this. JJ did us proud in my opinion.

TFA is slowing down already. It's barely ahead of JW, and JW fell well over a billion dollars short of Avatar. TFA will be lucky to get to $2 billion. It won't even come close to Avatar's $2.8 haul.

The Wook
But, TFA hasn't opened in China yet. China is the world's second largest movie market. JW opened in China at the same time as the rest of the world.

Even though it's not canon, GL decided Darth Plagueis was a Muun. Also Andy Serkis confirmed Snoke was a brand new character. Plagueis was never seen but referenced in the film canon. Also Larry Kasdan had no idea who Darth Plageuies was when asked. So the math doesn't look good for that rumor.

Has anyone confirmed if that was Luke's actual X-Wing helmet Rey had on Jakku at her home?

The question i think needs to be was it intended to be Luke's. I looked that up first thing after I got home. I swear i counted 5 ticks over the ear, but the ear decals themselves are different. Something blue with the number 78 (i think) in film whereas lukes is sort of a yellow diamond shape....

But, TFA hasn't opened in China yet. China is the world's second largest movie market. JW opened in China at the same time as the rest of the world.

No, I understand that. But JW fell $1.1 billion short of Avatar. So even if TFA has legs equal to JW--which it won't--add an extra $200 million for China to TFA's haul, and it will come up nearly a billion dollars short of Avatar. TFA's just not gonna have the legs to even make a run at Avatar, what with so many people hating the film.

The Wook

I wasn't criticizing . I loved the film and refuse to nitpick. I was merely agreeing with another post as to the rushed space jump. It seemed as though, despite editing, that the trip was very quick. In ANH you see them hanging out on the ship etc implying a longer flight. This isn't something that bothers me at all though. I can deal with minor things like this. JJ did us proud in my opinion.

I was just referring to the nitpicking in general, not anything you said. The movie is not above criticism but the hate it is getting on social media is just ridiculous.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back