Guri's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Galadriel Armor - concept design

Re: Galadriel Armor - concept design from The Hobbit

<3 Loove!!!

Also some of the scale stuff for the first films was a mylar coated fabric ;) I saw some in person. The only mylar around here atm is a pearl and pearl-pink and sadly shows the backing too much. But the shapes appears stamped out in strips and sewn along the top.

Oh my god. This is gorgeous! I wish I had the patience to do all that. Maybe one day in the future...hahaha

<3 Loove!!!

Also some of the scale stuff for the first films was a mylar coated fabric ;) I saw some in person. The only mylar around here atm is a pearl and pearl-pink and sadly shows the backing too much. But the shapes appears stamped out in strips and sewn along the top.

Yeah! I remember when I made the Haldir armor looking at loads of images - from what I understand some of the costumes in The Hobbit used the same aluminum scales I am using, only in a Champagne color instead of brushed gold. They have mirrored gold available now; it wasn't when I started. As much as I think that would have been super cool to be that shiny, it would probably have made the contrast from the foam and the aluminum stand out even more than it already does.

Oh my god. This is gorgeous! I wish I had the patience to do all that. Maybe one day in the future...hahaha

Obtaining this patience has been a process, for sure. I've had to go back between this and Kili in order to stay sane.

Last edited:

The shoulder armor is just about done, just need to add a few more pieces here and there, trim it and paint anything that shows gold. I found some beautiful gold crinkle fabric for the cape too! photos soon.

I'm working on the hip armor today...

hiparmorpattern.jpg

I made half of it in cardboard and gold wrapping paper just to be sure I know how much I need before I start the craft foam process. The lower part of the skirt will snap on under the vest so that I can take off the armor skirt if I need to.

Thanks Kelsohighlander and Kialna!!

So here are the steps for making foam armor. I didn't take photos as I went because of just being focused on getting it done. But I will try to take more when I make the wrist guards. I do have a video tutorial on making craft foam look like leather, though, and that has almost all the same steps:

https://youtu.be/4IZSr2CZRp4

First step - cutting out templates in paper/stock paper (above)
Second step - Iron the foam on both sides to seal and this shrinks it as well
Third step - Iron heat n bond on to fabric
Fourth step - Iron the fabric to the back of the foam
Fifth step - trace out the templates on the fabric and cut out
Sixth step - iron each piece, fold in half to form and when it cools it stays that shape
Seventh step - put two to three coats of mod podge glue on the foam side to seal it further
skirtscales.jpg
Eighth step - spray paint gold 2-3 coats
Ninth step - touch up with paint brush on the underside and edges in case it is ever seen
Tenth step - sew it on.

I numbered every leaf and wrote them on the above image so I could keep of the templates and the foam pieces... there are 40 template pieces, which makes almost 80 altogether because there are some center pieces which did not get doubled. Thankfully foam is light. haha!

Last edited:

Some progress... the upper armor and skirt armor is done and I"m sewing leaf maille pieces on the cape. I still need to make the crown and the hair 'jewelry' and figure out the lower arm pieces.

capeandskirt.jpg
The fabric that is gray and beige will eventually be covered with extra gold fabric from the cape or more leaf maille, depending on how much time I have.

Please don't tell me how many days until Dcon, I don't have time to cry.

This is absolutely stunning! I cannot wait to see the finished product!

Wow ! So beautiful ! Now, maybe you need a lance and a helmet or something for your head

Thanks everyone! This costume has taken a lot of time, but is a complete joy to work on.

Wow ! So beautiful ! Now, maybe you need a lance and a helmet or something for your head

Yeah! I am planning to 'forge' the lance/spear Daniel Falconer designed to go with it and he also drew a crown with the hair 'jewelry' which should be interesting to figure out.

This looks amazing. The part I like most? It's off the beaten path. I think it is all the more stunning because it wasn't depicted on film. Your rig comes with a story built in "the costume that almost was...".

Thanks everyone!! :)

This looks amazing. The part I like most? It's off the beaten path. I think it is all the more stunning because it wasn't depicted on film. Your rig comes with a story built in "the costume that almost was...".

What I'm wondering is how to approach explaining it at Dcon - do I just let it stand as is and if someone asks say it's Galadriel in armor... or do I somehow figure out how to bring a photo of the design with me? I really need to give Daniel Falconer the credit for the design, but I obviously can't explain the entire story to everyone I meet.

I'd love to hear ideas on it...

I see your dilemma. I am working on a build that I suspect won't be recognised by most. I plan on having the conversation with those that connect it and leaving the costume to speak for itself with those who don't connect it. Kind of like a living easter egg for those cool enough to catch on.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back