Cyberman in FOAM!!! - WITH PATTERNS!!

Shiroppi, I want to say soon, but my day job has consumed my free time completely. I have patterns, but they are sized for me and need to be adjusted for someone thinner.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey wondersquid!
I can't get over the 2013 cyberman build it looks great! You said in an earlier post you would fix the scaling then post the patterns. When do you plan to do that? I would REALLY love to make one. The 2005 cybermen are cool but idk the 2013 stick with me I love them. Cheers!

Hey wondersquid!
I can't get over the 2013 cyberman build it looks great! You said in an earlier post you would fix the scaling then post the patterns. When do you plan to do that? I would REALLY love to make one. The 2005 cybermen are cool but idk the 2013 stick with me I love them. Cheers!

be patient bro .

Hey! I finally made some money so I am doing some shopping for electronics. Does anyone know the diameter for the light but in the middle of the chest plate? JUST the part that lights up not the mechanical iris or the outside. a diagram would be nice if anyone has one. Thanks :)

14383316_974027796039442_1752347615_n.jpg

I have been working on this suit as a part time hobby for awhile now. Do you guys know any ways to improve my build based on this picture? Its my first cosplay build i have made so I would like some feedback.

The problem that is bothering me the most is that i used a dull knife for the arms and some of the parts for the chest so the edges are a bit rough but im planning to grind down those edges a bit.

The photo is a bit grainy. But it looks good. Using more fresh blades helps get cleaner cuts. But you can sand the foam with 220 grit sandpaper and alcohol. It takes lots of patience. But it should help smooth out rough areas.

You could take a slice out of the inside seam, maybe a 1" strip cut out, then rejoin the seam and it will be a smaller diameter. Also get some spongy foam, like the kind in couch cushions, and cut a ring that you glue inside the arm. Then your arm slides thru the ring and is snug inside because the spongy foam compresses to fill the void.

As a word of encouragement, Teen, I think your efforts are really paying off. Your patience, attention and consideration of critique is helping turn your project into a stellar build. Keep going.

Couldn't have said it better myself, part of the reason why I have this page up here is so there is some sort of community for this type of build. Admittedly the RPF is a great resource for all types of builds especially in foam. But I like having a Dr. who foam area.

I just found this thread (and entire community!) 6 days ago, and I love it. My 9 year old decided 10 days ago he wanted to be a Cyberman for Halloween, so here I am. I have most of the upper body done, and am starting on the helmet and legs today. Hoping to start plastidip tomorrow, and then actual painting early next week.

Quick finishing question since I'm seeing different methods all over my Googling around - if you're using caulk or other gap filler, are you doing that before or after plastidip? I'm using EVA foam mats (from Sam's Club). I've used plenty of caulk in household projects, and you usually prime first, then caulk, then paint, but since I've never done a foam build before I was hoping someone on here would say yay or nay to this method :)

I've cut the patterns down to 75%, except the head which is 90%, and it's working really well! Here's a pic from a few days ago when the torso and lower arms were done and I was starting the upper arms -
rpf_post.jpg

It's been extremely helpful reading everyone's build process, tips & tricks, and especially trials & tribulations! Thanks so much for the patterns, Wondersquid! Like so many I'm in awe of your crafting skill!

I finished the costume last Wednesday, finished painting Thursday, and Friday was trick or treating at my husband's workplace. It held up really well and got rave reviews :) I ended up not doing a 'wired' bodysuit, custom gloves, or using the shoe pattern. He has on a black long sleeved top and black (girl) leggings, and I had my husband do the shoes, which he just contact cemented some 1/8" foam over a pair of puppy-chewed sneakers. I also left the back of the torso piece open, because otherwise it was too big of a hassle for him to don/doff the piece. I attached straps from the upper arms to the torso, and also put straps on the thigh pieces. The thigh straps have a loop at the top, which attaches to a belt worn under his shirt, because his legs are like little pipe cleaners and if I made the thigh fit, he wouldn't be able to get his foot into it.

I did end up caulking after Plasti Dip. For the Dip, I did 1 coat brushed on, and two coats sprayed, then caulking, then spray paint.

I cannot recommend the EVA floor mats from Sam's Club, even though they're quite cost effective at first glance (if you're in a rush and don't have a Harbor Freight). They were horrible to sand, and tough to work with.

Picture from trick or treating Friday -

20161028_163018.jpg

/ETA - the gloves were from Amazon, and were Optimus Prime gloves.

Attachments

• 20161028_163018.jpg
    20161028_163018.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 189
Your suit looks great TNSLB!!!

PS. Gotta love how small the world is cause I also work there with your husband. I would recognize that wall anywhere.

just downloaded the patterns and was wondering, how do I re-size them for my height as I am 5'4". this is my first time working with patterns.

Hi, Great Templates and nice work!

I was wondering... What is that particular type of foam called? I have been using the anti-fatigue EVA floor mats with the large diamond plate pattern on the back and am interested in switching to this type of foam.

Thanks
LK

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

just downloaded the patterns and was wondering, how do I re-size them for my height as I am 5'4". this is my first time working with patterns.

If you have Photoshop you can measure it and resize that way. I believe you can do it in Gimp as well.

I just opened them as a PDF and resized them in there - Printed them at 75%, cut out the paper arms and legs and taped them together to see if they'd fit. The head I ended up having to do at either 90 or 95%, I forget, but the body was 75%.

This is identical to the second set of mats I needed to buy that were much easier to work with than the kind I bought at Sam's club - http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

I just opened them as a PDF and resized them in there - Printed them at 75%, cut out the paper arms and legs and taped them together to see if they'd fit. The head I ended up having to do at either 90 or 95%, I forget, but the body was 75%.

This is identical to the second set of mats I needed to buy that were much easier to work with than the kind I bought at Sam's club - http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

Awesome.Thanks for the link.Off to shop I go! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back