Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Just eyeballing it off of the size and placement of the windows, Discovery seems to be in about the same size range as the original TOS Enterprise.

28279259800_df61a2a436_b.jpg

Another clue is the lighting panels in the drydock.

28457655232_74244d45f4_b.jpg

here's a theory..

What if this takes place after Nemesis, and this is Captain Worf's ship?

a joint Klingon, Federation task force? that would make the ship design a bit more awesome and get me interested in the series.

Wow, I'm highly disappointed in this ship. Ralph's design wasn't very good, it was as well that they skipped it (sorry Ralph, you're a God otherwise!). As Shiporama guy and former self proclaimed Star Trek ship authority from the 90's I declare this thing the worst hero Trek ship yet, blech! What were they thinking?? Matt Jeffries is crying and Rick Sternbach is rolling over in his grave and he's alive and well! But it's apparent that the model isn't really done, maybe it will get better as they add detail and texture. I hope. Or maybe it will grow on me and I'll quit being such a grumpy old man. ;)

I liked Voyager ok, nice model anyway, but not as graceful as the D or TMP. At least Rick out some thought into the design!

I never cared for how lump-like Voyager looked. To me at least. The earlier prototype with the sharper wedge, looked a little better IMHO.

And I never did understand the variable-geometry warp engines. You had to put them UP to go to warp, and when NOT at warp, they're useless. So why not just fix them in the "up" configuration...?

While I'd love for that to be the case, Worf is sadly out of luck. In the Deep Space Nine episode "Change of Heart", Worf decides to abandon his mission to rescue an informant and instead save a dying Dax.

Sisko: "As your captain, it is my duty to inform you that you made the wrong choice. I don't think Starfleet will file any formal charges -- even a secret court-martial would run the risk of revealing too much about their intelligence operations. But this will go in to your service record... and to be completely honest, you probably won't be offered a command on your own after this."​

This detail is even mentioned in two post-DS9 novels.

Showed my 10 year old the trailer and neither of us like the ship design. Hoping to get back to seeing the TOS model at the Smithsonian soon!

A 50-year canon can be something of an albatross. I kind of agree with JJ Abrams/Disney (GASP) when they jettisoned the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Only to re-introduce cherry picked items when needed.

Same with Star Trek. We could say, OK, unless it's been on TV or in a movie, GONE. And they can go from there.

I'd be cool with that. Sorry Worf.

A 50-year canon can be something of an albatross.

Ever read Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner? The Albatros was actually a source of good fortune for the ship and it's crew. It's only when some jerk kills the poor thing that everything goes to heck. Which I guess can be an appropriate metaphor for what Rick Berman did with both Enterprise and Nemesis. He killed the great bird of the galaxy and it will now forever dangle around his neck since everyone knows it was his fault.

The problem is NOT the Albatross. The problem are the idiots in charge who think that killing it is a good idea.

A 50-year canon can be something of an albatross. I kind of agree with JJ Abrams/Disney (GASP) when they jettisoned the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Only to re-introduce cherry picked items when needed.

Same with Star Trek. We could say, OK, unless it's been on TV or in a movie, GONE. And they can go from there.

Leaving out the albatross thing jeyl addressed... I had no trouble keeping up with the canon until they started borking it after DS9 ended. Voyager got some things wrong, as did Nemesis, as did Enterprise, and it just kinda snowballed. I like Mike Okuda, but his research methods have always annoyed me. Much can be gleaned from the original series and films, especially if you look to production notes, scripts, and other things to get inside the heads of the people making them. Everything from the timeline to starship registries is mildly broken. If they'd left off with the Prime Timeline, it'd just be as it was. But anything new is likely going to perpetuate those errors further, plus adding new mistakes or misinterpretations.

As far as the books and comics... Enh. Many of those I'd say "treat as non-canon, but draw much from them". Others I feel deserve higher status. Specifically, anything New Frontier, and the DS9 and Voyager "Relaunch" series, that pick up after the shows ended. I can't speak to how they've interwoven everything further on in the novel-verse, as 1) I'm a bit behind on my reading, and 2) I'm still quietly furious at the direction they went in and after Generations, so I treat everything after Picard goes into the Nexus as his Nexus fantasy -- including him getting out. I don't like the Enterprise-E, I don't like the Titan, I don't like the Enterprise-F, and so forth.

It's a little frustrating, really. I've spent years working to unkink all the problems in the timeline, all the way back to the 1960s. I've used all the known data to anchor specific referents, extrapolated from there, and filled in gaps with appropriate placeholders. And it's been such a headache undoing the careless damage done by various individuals over the decades, up to and including Gene, himself.

--Jonah

I have some friends and colleagues working on the show, and I can confirm that this was put together REALLY quickly (as in MUCH less time than anybody thinks) for Comic-con. Everything we're seeing is very much conceptual and early work in progress.

It is indeed a new vfx shop getting put together, and they are hiring up people who worked on the previous shows.

As I heard it, the only significance to the "1031" registry number is that somebody likes Halloween.

All of the conjecture about the ship design, the registry number, font styles, and trying to figure out things such as the time period based on this stuff is totally off-base, however amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some friends and colleagues working on the show, and I can confirm that this was put together REALLY quickly (as in MUCH less time than anybody thinks) for Comic-con. Everything we're seeing is very much conceptual and early work in progress.

It is indeed a new vfx shop getting put together, and they are hiring up people who worked on the previous shows.

As I heard it, the only significance to the "1031" registry number is that somebody likes Halloween.

All of the conjecture about the ship design, the registry number, font styles, and trying to figure out things such as the time period based on this stuff is totally off-base, however amusing.

thumbnail_48186.jpg

Regarding discovery's rush design process - because rushing such a thing is a good thing :rolleyes

It's a little frustrating, really. I've spent years working to unkink all the problems in the timeline, all the way back to the 1960s. I've used all the known data to anchor specific referents, extrapolated from there, and filled in gaps with appropriate placeholders. And it's been such a headache undoing the careless damage done by various individuals over the decades, up to and including Gene, himself.

--Jonah

Reminds me of Voyager's "year of hell" :p

What, worse than Voyager? ;)

Karl

Voyager was nicely designed :D

I never cared for how lump-like Voyager looked. To me at least.

Me neither. My son called it the USS Shovel. Never a fan but to each their own.

A 50-year canon can be something of an albatross.

Which is why they should start over, IMO. Do a true reboot and start over on a fresh canvas. Think of how great a new Star Trek could be without having fifty years of reverse anachronisms (women can't command starships, etc). Do it right and leave the JJ-verse to the movies, please!

D

To me, the Discovery looks like the Enterprise and a Klingon D-7 had a baby and this was the result. That said, it has potential, they just need to do some tweaks to it, most notably soften or round out all of those hard lines, enlarge the navigation deflector, and put some some of covering over the front of the nacelles to cover the bussard scoops, they can be still be visible but more as points of light rather than clearly defined objects.

If they stick with this design, "fleet-ify" it properly to fit in with ship markings and the appropriate features we would expect
for whatever time period they are keeping from us for now, (The Trekxperts that worked on the shows previously would be able to do that)
and shrink that triangular secondary hull some so it's not so huge and wide. That would fix the proportions and bring her into balance.
I can live with that, if they were worried about me of course.

here's a theory..

a joint Klingon, Federation task force? that would make the ship design a bit more awesome and get me interested in the series.

I thought Worf was now the Federation Ambassador to Qo'noS. That seemed like the ideal job for him. Would he leave that post to be a captain?

And thanks greatly for this insider dope, deeply appreciated, I really don't think you are Buzz Killington. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back