BB-8 Toy

I picked up the Hasbro version that's exclusive to Target. I like him a lot. He's a good size and the remote works quite well. I know it doesn't have the sophistication of the Sphero, but for almost half the price, it's a pretty great toy.

One thing I like is that the Hasbro version has carved panel lines (unlike the smooth painted details on the sphero). I found that painting some weathering really brings out the panel lines and makes him look more "scale model", less "toy". I even weathered the remote!

Attachments

• IMG_4075.JPG
    IMG_4075.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4077.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 123
Seeing more and more of the videos is making me more and more excited for my BB-8 to show up on Tuesday. I should've paid for the Saturday delivery...oh well...it'll be here soon!!

Picked up a Sphero BB-8 at Barnes & Noble of all places. Fun little toy. And yes, despite what Sphero says, it really is just a toy... just a really expensive, really cool toy for grown-ups, like everything else we do here on the RPF.. hehe. Like others have said, the cat doesn't know what to make of it.. she'll chase it up until the point where I turn it around and start chasing her, at which point she wants nothing to do with it.. lol. Control is pretty solid, easy to get back in line if it loses which way is forward. Has a little trouble with deep carpet, as far as getting started, but once it gets some momentum going (it's surprisingly heavy for its size), it's fine going over the little bumps and stuff.

The only con I can think of is that I wish they could have made the sounds come out of the droid itself rather than the phone. Seems like it would have been pretty easy, but maybe they just didn't have the time or the space to put in the extra chips and speaker and stuff.

For anyone that was wondering, it does work with both iOS and Android... most of the articles I was reading about it before release only mentioned that it worked on iPhones, which seemed highly limited to me, but no worries, it does work on everything.

Oh, and an FYI for people just getting it set up for the first time. When the app tells you to hold the phone up to BB-8 to pair the Bluetooth, they mean it.. you really have to hold your phone like an inch away from the droid for it to pair. But once they're connected (you have to do it every time you turn it on), the range is pretty impressive, I can send him all the way down the hall and around the corner and he's still going.

Haven't tried out the "patrol" feature yet, but I might do that when I take him into the office next week.. lol. Let him run around the office on his own for a bit.

My Sphero BB-8 won't be here until next week & then my wife is gonna hide it away until Christmas :lol

so I had to go to the Disney Store today & console myself with the big Disney Store Sound activated one & I love it

it's a nice size & beautifully detailed (hard to pick up in the pictures but it's subtly weathered)

not many "toys" that I put on my display shelf but this little fella just bumped my medal of Yavin :lol

He can be either button or sound operated, head rotates & lights up with sound effects

movement could be smoother but I don't care for under £30 I think it's great

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 110
Sooo...just a little update.

I'm using the android OS on a droid TURBO, & there are some limitations. Some of the features on the official video are only available on the iOS, like voice command & setting a path for him to travel. According to the app site, they are working to fix all the android bugs, & are requesting folks to comment on what phone/tablet they're using, & what the issues are.

Other than the missing features, my only problem is the same others are having. If BB-8 is at a dead stop, when you first start him, he goes backward a few inches, then goes forward. It only happens after you've been driving him for a few minutes. I've also had the app freeze up so bad, I had to restart my phone, once. A couple of significant issues, but the developers seem to be aware & are working on it.

My daughter came home from college yesterday & rolled her eyes as I was driving it around. I stopped it in front of her & asked it if she was grumpy, then did the little gestures where he nods & shakes his head. She stared for a second & asked, " Did he just nod at me?"...then started grinning.

Mission accomplished.:D:thumbsup

I got mine today.

It's a really nice product. The packaging is top notch, the app (on iOS) is solid, and the look of it is great.

It's fun to drive around. My little deaf Chihuahua really didn't know what to make of it...and spent a lot of time barking at it, then running from it.

I only used the "Drive" function today. I'll use the "Patrol" mode tomorrow.

Man, I wish someone could help me get one of those Hasbro/Target BB8 for my son... :(

the Hasbro remote controlled version is going to be available at Argos in the UK from late Sept I think

Zavvi also have them advertised for £47.99

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 100
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back