Interstellar (Post-release)

Finally saw this last night.
Good movie. Great effects.
But I have a few questions.

1: Where is all this "science" I've been hearing is supposed to be in this film?
a: Wormholes are theoretical. They may as well be fiction.
b: A massive planet orbiting a black hole doesn't get sucked into the black hole, but a tiny spaceship orbiting the planet will?
c: Cooper crosses the event horizon of a black hole and isn't atomized?
d: ...and then is spit back out into his own solar system?? (I realize this was necessary to tell a nifty story, but it's pretty far-fetched)

2: Why is it so darned important to save the human race? Sure, I would go to great lengths to protect the people I love, but the human race as a whole?
Why? What good are we? All we seem to be interested in is making our fellows suffer. When we're not dreaming up excuses to slaughter each other wholesale, we're inventing governments and economics and ridiculous ideologies and religions to oppress ourselves and others.
What do we contribute to the universe? All we do is consume resources and create garbage. So we find a new world to exploit and cripple... Will we live together in peace? Can we ever possibly live together in peace? History says "NO". What possible motivations could a sane individual have for wanting to perpetuate human suffering?

What a bleak attitude you have toward your own kind! Jeez....

Of course there is suffering in the world. But I don't think it's fair to paint the entire human race in with those who cause that suffering. It isn't ALL of us.

Also, we do more than just consume. There are multiple examples of how we *try* to contribute to the planet. one small example is how we make an effort at least to plant new trees when we cut down existing ones. Just one small example.

I've heard this theory before, when I was young in fact, and subscribed to it when I was still trying to find some kind of spirituality to cling to.
But "miracle of life"? It's difficult for me to believe in the "miracle" and sanctity and sacredness of human life when it's treated so cheaply and exploited and abused daily around the world. Of course I have no desire to hurt anyone, and would like nothing more than for humanity to treat one another with respect and dignity, but sadly that's not the way of the world. The world that we created, by the way. It doesn't have to be like this - but we've chosen to make it this way.
I just no longer have any faith in the human race as a whole. Like Mark Twain said - we hold ourselves up as the darlings of creation, but our actions prove us to be the lowest of the animals.

It's not spirituality for me, it's scientific fact.

Bradbury probably has it right... "Too soon from the cave, too far from the stars."

"...we should go back to the moon. We should never have left there. We should go to the moon and prepare a base to fire a rocket off to Mars and then go to Mars and colonize Mars. Then when we do that, we will live forever,”

Or Roddenberry...
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other. And all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up - man, we're going to be something!"

Our story is far from finished this is without question.
I can't think how a moral judgment condemning the entire race can be valid.
But to each his own. Interstellar's message may not be for you. Fair enough.

I really enjoyed the film as well. I thought it had some interesting things to say. Not all of the ideas in the film were well executed, but you know, it's a movie. It was still very entertaining. I can see how some people would forget to enjoy the story being told and get caught up in the science instead.

But the science was just used as story telling mechanism. The film kind of turned into an episode of Doctor Who at the end, which I figured it would eventually have to go that way. I thought it was a little predictable, but still, enjoyed the ideas and the visuals quite a lot. When you're throwing around a lot of ideas about time and space, and the relativity of time as it applies to planets and black holes, things almost always get played loose and fast to wrap things up, and get the story moving.

I was just glad to see a big studio moving asking some big questions. You just don't see that any more.

I just got around to watching this. I don't know how it sounded in the theater but the blu-ray needs to be recalled and remixed. I would say 50% or more of the time I couldn't understand a damn word they were saying. At several times I thought to myself--is this movie in another language because most of it sounds like garbled gibberish? This is definitely one for closed captions.

I just got around to watching this. I don't know how it sounded in the theater but the blu-ray needs to be recalled and remixed. I would say 50% or more of the time I couldn't understand a damn word they were saying. At several times I thought to myself--is this movie in another language because most of it sounds like garbled gibberish? This is definitely one for closed captions.

that is just the awesomeness of the McConaissance.

Hey if anyone buys the blue ray with a frame from the film, and gets one with the Endurance, please let me know if you'd be willing to sell it. Thanks.

garbled audio -

This is just the infuriating modern audio style that movies are drifting toward. Chris Nolan is on the cutting edge of the trend.

2: Why is it so darned important to save the human race? Sure, I would go to great lengths to protect the people I love, but the human race as a whole?
Why? What good are we? All we seem to be interested in is making our fellows suffer. When we're not dreaming up excuses to slaughter each other wholesale, we're inventing governments and economics and ridiculous ideologies and religions to oppress ourselves and others.
What do we contribute to the universe? All we do is consume resources and create garbage. So we find a new world to exploit and cripple... Will we live together in peace? Can we ever possibly live together in peace? History says "NO". What possible motivations could a sane individual have for wanting to perpetuate human suffering?

You give humans a failing grade . . . compared to what?

We are a failing at our own self-imposed idea of what we should be. Which happens to be FAR, FAR more altruistic than any other species ever has been.

When a population of deer over-expands & consumes too much of the local resources, the deer don't start feeling guilty about the other species they are negatively affecting. We do.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Blu-ray is mixed to sound exactly as it did in the theaters. Many theaters, at the time of the movie, put up small signs saying "We know it's hard to understand the dialogue due to the volume of the background music and effects. This is how the director intended for the movie to sound. It is not a problem with our sound system" or something to that effect.

Read more about it here: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Movi...topher-Nolan-Interstellar-Sound-Us-68216.html

Nolan's response: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/christopher-nolan-breaks-silence-interstellar-749465

I saw it in IMAX. In most cases, the volume of the effects is much louder already in IMAX. Let me tell you, the sound for this movie was thundering, and yes, at times it overpowered the audio...

Interesting read about 3D printing the Endurance

http://3dprint.com/62694/3d-print-lab-for-interstellar/

I don't want to go off like I did on phase pistol, again sorry phase pistol, but I find the title of that article insulting. 3D printing technology was definitely used, but it was just one of the techniques/tools used, and sometimes only used to save manpower. There's a lot of great uses for printed parts, but to imply that everything was printed or laser cut, and put together like a store bought model kit is insulting, and dismisses the hard work and talent of all the people involved. I said I wasn't going to go off, oops. And Krest, my rant was not aimed at you but at the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that title is stupid. 3D Printing doesn't win any Oscars. I admire all the great craftmanship that went in all there wonderful models. I think 3D printing is a great addition to the toolbox, but as with any tools, you have to know how to use them.

A lot if people don't understand that 3D printing isn't an easy job. I think a lot of people just assume that a 3D model magically appears and then materializes inside the printer.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back