Another Noob Hope Luke Lightsaber

SeattleMaddog

After a few months of gathering parts and spending way more money than I will ever admit to my wife (especially on the Exactra), I am ready to build my screen accurate replica of Luke's ANH Lightsaber. I am drawing a lot of inspiration and information from VFX Freak and his build thread A Noob Hope Graflex Lightsaber Build.

ANH Lightsaber Build-2.jpg

I bought the Graflex flash and Exactra EX-20 calculator off eBay, I got them for good prices relative to the market but this is an expensive project for a newbie like me. Gino supplied me the t-track for the grip but I ran into my first problem when I started looking for a d-ring.

I tried using d-rings from dog collars but they were too thick (about 3.5mm vice 2.5mm needed for this prop). I ordered some d-rings from a dealer on eBay but their measurements were inaccurate, so I started looking around town again. Finally a local artisan pointed me to the shoe repair place I walk past almost every day, and he sold me two perfect examples for a dollar.

I fashioned strap from a cheap metal tray bought at the Dollar Shop using Sym-Cha's template, and after three attempts produced a version I am happy to attach to my Graflex. Here are the photos:
ANH Lightsaber Build.jpg
ANH Lightsaber D-ring and Strap-2.jpgANH Lightsaber D-ring and Strap.jpg

My plan is to complete the lightsaber over the next week, and I will post updates here as the build progresses. VFX Freak did such a good job documenting his build I will only address the challenges I encounter as I follow his lead.

Wish me luck.

After a few months of gathering parts and spending way more money than I will ever admit to my wife (especially on the Exactra), I am ready to build my screen accurate replica of Luke's ANH Lightsaber.

Haha :lol
I know what you mean.

It's worth the money :wacko or something like that will help you.

Back to topic ;)
The D-ring clip is well done. I like the Sym-Cha's template and used it myself.
As he mentioned in his template-thread: When you drill the rivet hole in your Graflex put something like a broomstick in the bottom piece. So you have something to absorb the pressure from drilling.

I think you have noticed it yourself, but...
May I mention that your really nice Graflex has the "wrong" red button type?

Have fun with your build and keep us up to date with updates ;)

I think you have noticed it yourself, but...
May I mention that your really nice Graflex has the "wrong" red button type?

Oh crap, I completely missed that little problem with the button. I have an extra set of grips, so I think I'll press on and replace it latter. Definitely a padawan mistake.

Thanks Luke.

Last edited:
Wow that's great progress SeattleMaddog ;) ...

just an off topic question : How does one post links of other folks directing to the members list and the same for posted threads in a current thread . . . or where can I find info on how to do so? It's been bugging me since last week that I don't know how to do it :confused

Chaim

Get er done!

I'm not kidding... I've had the parts for a ANH Luke for almost 2 years now... still haven't put it together.

But in 4 days I'm heading to Seattle... using my friends shop there, I'll drill a D-ring hole and join ya in finishing one off.

Wow that's great progress SeattleMaddog ;) ...

just an off topic question : How does one post links of other folks directing to the members list and the same for posted threads in a current thread . . . or where can I find info on how to do so? It's been bugging me since last week that I don't know how to do it :confused

Chaim

I just right clicked on your avatar and copied the link to your profile then inserted the hyperlink into the text. For each post in a thread there is a number in the top right corner (looks like this: #4), right click and copy the link and insert into your post.

Maddog

Get er done!

I'm not kidding... I've had the parts for a ANH Luke for almost 2 years now... still haven't put it together.

But in 4 days I'm heading to Seattle... using my friends shop there, I'll drill a D-ring hole and join ya in finishing one off.

Sounds like a plan although I am no longer resident in Seattle, I moved back to Australia years ago. Post your photos when it is done.

I have not seen an Exactra under $80, and then I have the added advantage of living on the other side of the world from where they are available. Postage adds substantially to my costs for items that were not marketed here.

I bought one here on the RPF a year ago or so simply because the price kept dropping because no one wanted it. I wasn't really needing one but the price got down to $50 or something so I bought it. Before that I grabbed one off eBay for $65 and that bubble strip was the one Rebelscum used to mold for the original RS run.

The first one bought was $125 off eBay and that is crazy high for an outdated piece of technology. I could never pay that high again.

Last edited:
Postage pushed the cost above $100 off eBay but it was definitely the cheapest price I could find a few months ago.

I have cleaned up the Graflex, it has some flaking chrome but like VFX I prefer the used look although I'm not sure I'll be bashing my grips to enhance the weathering.

I also cut and beveled the t-tracks. Next step is to drill the Graflex base and attach the d-ring but I will leave that until tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410924469.062346.jpg

Looking great, Maddog! My first Exactra ended up costing more than $100 as well, so don't feel too bad.

Good luck with the build and thanks for the kind words!

My Exactra's were almost around $75 + shipping ... some less, some a bit more ... all still intact though
. . . and this http://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=110176 . . . is what shows up when I follow your
instructions ... not a name underscored as you did previously perhaps it's a PC thing or living upside
downunder hahaha ... also I'm on a mac mini :wacko

Chaim

Last edited:
I pulled the Exactra apart last night and worked on fitting the bubbles. Although followed VFX's advice to cover the bottom, it peeled off in the final stages and I put some scratches on it. Damn! I'm going out to find some plastic polish this afternoon and some scrap wood to help me fit the d-ring.

Now I just need to remember to slow down and stop making preventable mistakes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411007335.627422.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411007348.762266.jpg

That thread was a huge help for me when I built my Luke ANH. Good luck with your build! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Although I'm still trying to track down an exactra at a reasonable price :rolleyes

I pulled the Exactra apart last night and worked on fitting the bubbles. Although followed VFX's advice to cover the bottom, it peeled off in the final stages and I put some scratches on it. Damn! I'm going out to find some plastic polish this afternoon and some scrap wood to help me fit the d-ring.

Now I just need to remember to slow down and stop making preventable mistakes.

View attachment 378068

View attachment 378069

Sorry to hear that.
You can try to use plastic polish on the scratches.
Should work like magic ;)

I finally drilled the Graflex base this afternoon and riveted the d-ring in place. It is a little higher than I expected but I'm happy with the result.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411108858.357570.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411108871.298189.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411108883.215230.jpg

The grips should be attached tonight or first thing on Saturday morning, I will post photographs of the finished lightsaber by late tomorrow.

Very excited to finish this one before I head off to Japan next week.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back