Mythbusters - WTH man? No Tori, Grant, or Kari?

Re: Adam, please explain..

My guess is that if the B Team was essentially fired it was probably because the production company wanted to save money and having 5 people on camera on the show was costing them too much. But they didn't want to cancel the show so they go and get rid of the 3 extra people which makes the show instantly cheaper and probably gives them more money for raises for Adam and Jaime who would probably be contracted for an automatic raise by this time.

Not sure where I saw it, but Adam was on video (probably on tested) and said that he wanted to go back to the more in depth builds they used to show. So with what I got from that was the 45 min of actual air time per episode really did not allow multiple myths to be shown at the level of detail he wanted. Go back and watch the earlier seasons and you can see the depth of information was higher back then.
Of course getting rid of cast members probably was not required for this, if I recall the original seasons had the staff of m5 occasionally shown on camera but were not hosts like they became.

I disagree it was all about money. I can easily see if there are only 2 hosts not only can they explore more complicated myths but they can include so much more content about that single myth in each episode.

The show has really been '2 shows' crammed in 1 hour for a long time. The current format wasn't really fair to either team as far as giving adequet time to tell each story.

As awesome as it would have been to see the show split into 2 separate shows that would never have happened. In the end seeing more time given to a single myth is probably best as the show moves forward.

Personally I feel like I'm losing 3 of my best friends. But tv shows come and go and life goes on, I'll always have the DVDs.

I disagree it was all about money. I can easily see if there are only 2 hosts not only can they explore more complicated myths but they can include so much more content about that single myth in each episode.

The show has really been '2 shows' crammed in 1 hour for a long time. The current format wasn't really fair to either team as far as giving adequet time to tell each story.

Now this is something I agree with. It wouldn't be a rushed decision by any means but I doubt we have seen the last of the B Team, even if it is on another show.

As awesome as it would have been to see the show split into 2 separate shows that would never have happened. In the end seeing more time given to a single myth is probably best as the show moves forward.

Personally I feel like I'm losing 3 of my best friends. But tv shows come and go and life goes on, I'll always have the DVDs.

I largely agree. From what I've seen, this looks like it was a conscious, creative decision, rather than just a money thing. Maybe money was an issue, I have no idea, but they're not just ditching 3 hosts and continuing along the same path. They're trying something different that I'm excited to see, despite feeling a little sad to see the build team go.
But I did miss seeing the Mythbusters actually build stuff, and I think we got to see less of Adam and Jamie's dynamic on camera when they had to fit everyone else in too, and Adam and Jamie are a lot better in front of a camera than they were when the decision was made to include the build team on camera in the first place. Having the show more focused on building, and possibly more focused on the practical science is a welcome change for me. Some of the recent episodes have actually been among my favourite myths they've tested, and if anything, cutting down to one team will mean they pick and choose better myths.

I've seen a lot of people on FB complaining that the show is going to die quickly now, which I hope isn't the case, because it doesn't deserve to fail simply out of immature protest. I'm sure Tory, Grant and Kari will have no trouble finding other work after such a good run on Mythbusters. I hope for the best for everyone involved.

Wow. Way to be impersonal about it. After 10 years, you'd think they'd have gotten more of a sendoff. I don't rwatch the show anymore anyway as I agree that they'd run out of interesting myths long ago. I'm not sure if Adam and Jamie can carry the show themselves since their straight guy/goofy guy dynamic is long played out. Probably part of the reason they added additional personalities to the show to begin with.

That said, I'd rather they spend an hour testing 1-2 myths in depth than blowing through several half assedly. If that's the new direction they head in, I may watch again.

I am not digging this, at all. My guess is that all 5 people found themselves in a very difficult position, I don't know though. This is a real shame.

I thought it was a pretty good send off vid...

Oh and last night, just after I read this, Kari and Tory made an appearance on The Soup... was surprised to see em!

I'm not saying that Adam and Jaime had anything to do with it and they got greedy, I'm saying that Discovery did it to save money. After all, one of the most expensive things on any production are the personnel and the cast in particular, this is, after all, one of the reasons many popular shows on SyFy only run for 5 years because after that point things start to get much more expensive due to automatic pay raises and the like. It's entirely possible that the same could be what's happening here, all of the cast and crew could be due for pay raises the next season so by getting rid of the B Team they reduce expenses by 3 cast members, the corresponding production staff, and save time (which means money) in the editing room. That's assuming, of course, that there are 2 separate production and post production crews, one to work on/with each team.

Wow....this is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I must say I am a little choked up about this. I haven't watched the latest episode yet but was planning to this weekend. I feel like I am losing three friends here. It will be very interesting if we ever find out the real story, surely it will be brought up on Still Untitled: The Adam Savage project as I think it should be. Adam has always been so honest about everything he talks about. Would be a shame if this just gets swept under the rug.

We know he comes to this forum, he talks about it a lot. C'mon Adam, give us the low down.

Im excited about the change. I really enjoyed Kari, Grant and Tory but I missed seeing Adam and Jamie going through the design and build process. I would rather see more of them working out the nuts and bolts then more splosions..not that I don't love splotions!

No matter how it all works out I will always be a fan. Bust on fellas!!!

I think it's also important to remember that there are producers of the show, the ones who originally brought the concept to Jamie, who 'own' the show and make all the final creative and budget decisions. I know Adam and Jamie have some producer share, but they still answer to the head producers as hosts.

Seperate from Adam and Jamie and seperate from Discovery the actual producers could have wanted the show to go a new direction and had the final say.

Pretty sure Adam & Jamie have nothing to do about this, it's all men in suits wearing fancy ties that decide all of this stuff.

Pretty lame goodbye though, especially after 10 years, but pretty sure they had their own goodbye's with the crew & everything once the camera's were done filming.

I'm sitting here at work and I am actually stunned by this, I really am. I love Mythbusters. But the more I think about it, the show could use an infusion of actually more science and the build process, which I am hoping is the case. It does seem that in the last couple of years every myth was just an excuse to blow up something. However, we all know explosions draw a crowd, so they could lose some of their audience because of this move.

I sincerely hope the build team will get a show of their own in some fashion.

I hope Mythbusters is truly going back to its roots and not going to introduce some new eye candy down the road.

Do people actually remember the first series of Mythbusters fondly?

They spent half the time rummaging though junkyards and charity shops looking for cheap or free stuff to experiment with, and then you had that female "myth expert" who would explain where the myth came from.

Or is all we really remember "Am I missing an eyebrow?" and "I like it in here, its private"

You don't actually expect Adam to give an explanation here do you? I would just keep it as it was announced and even though we are fans of the show he doesn't owe us any thing. Maybe I misunderstand the OP title but it just seemed rude especially when I read it. I know tone is difficult to understand over the internet. If I misunderstood please accept my apology. I'm sure more stuff will come to light as things move on. Change happens all the time. Just be happy the show has gone this long with the cast.

I like the B team just fine - they were fun and entertaining to watch. But since I watch the show through iTunes, I've noticed that I tend to skip through their myths. Not to discredit them at all, but it's all just explosions and shooting guns. And that's not to say that Adam and Jamie don't have their own fair share of similar myths, but you can only do so many before you see the same thing over and over. It stopped being quirky and creative and started being about the B-roll of Kary, Grant, and Tori screaming and gushing over this firepower or that bomb. I really liked their smaller myths, like the pee dance, blowing your own sail, and the insta-freeze beer thing. But even then, there's not a lot of content there. Adam and Jamie's myths just had so much more substance to them, and not getting to show all of that substance was pulling me out of the show. It's a shame they won't be around - I'd like to see them on from time to time to assist, but I'm eager to see where the show goes from here.

You don't actually expect Adam to give an explanation here do you?

No, we don't actually expect him to answer any of us here, it is just kind of a figure of speech. Kind of like when someone gets on here and says "I don't like lens flare--I'm talking to you-- J.J. Abrams!" No one actually expects them to reply.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back