Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

AWESOME news if true. I'll put it under spoilers, just in case.

NEcqWO5yiKuTge_1_1.jpg

Harrison Ford to co-lead Star Wars: Episode VII alongside three young stars - Movie News | JoBlo.com

The long and the short of the article is this: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are all back, yes, but Ford will have a much more substantial role than the rest. Han Solo is a 'Co-lead' along the new younger actors!

AWESOME news if true. I'll put it under spoilers, just in case.

http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.news/NEcqWO5yiKuTge_1_1.jpg

Harrison Ford to co-lead Star Wars: Episode VII alongside three young stars - Movie News | JoBlo.com

The long and the short of the article is this: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are all back, yes, but Ford will have a much more substantial role than the rest. Han Solo is a 'Co-lead' along the new younger actors!

Yep, read that too. Sounds great!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm not as keen on Ford being more of a lead over Hamill and Fisher. It kind of takes away from the Star Wars saga being about the Skywalker family... even if one or more the young cast is a Skywalker, I just think Luke (and even Leia) should be a bit more prominent. Making Solo more of a "star" seems to just be capitalizing on Ford's post-Star Wars success.

I'm not as keen on Ford being more of a lead over Hamill and Fisher. It kind of takes away from the Star Wars saga being about the Skywalker family... even if one or more the young cast is a Skywalker, I just think Luke (and even Leia) should be a bit more prominent. Making Solo more of a "star" seems to just be capitalizing on Ford's post-Star Wars success.

Well, obviously the PT was about Anakin. The OT was about Luke. And it would seem this new trilogy will be about the Solo daughter, so perhaps featuring Han Solo prominantly in this first film serves that story. I don't think these movies are going to be about Luke and I would not be surprised if Luke has no children.

Well, obviously the PT was about Anakin. The OT was about Luke. And it would seem this new trilogy will be about the Solo daughter, so perhaps featuring Han Solo prominantly in this first film serves that story. I don't think these movies are going to be about Luke and I would not be surprised if Luke has no children.
I'll agree to an extent. Being Jedi seems to imply no kids (although I thing EU stuff may've countered that), the Solo daughter and all that. I guess if it serves the story well, I don't have an issue with it - I'm just concerned that this might just be because Ford had the most successful career. (That said, Ford may arguably be the better actor and more suited to carry the new movie/trilogy).

I want Luke to be just a strong and prominent a character as Han - I think that should be a no brainer.

I'll agree to an extent. Being Jedi seems to imply no kids (although I thing EU stuff may've countered that), the Solo daughter and all that. I guess if it serves the story well, I don't have an issue with it - I'm just concerned that this might just be because Ford had the most successful career. (That said, Ford may arguably be the better actor and more suited to carry the new movie/trilogy).

I want Luke to be just a strong and prominent a character as Han - I think that should be a no brainer.

Actually when you put it that way, about Luke, I am changing my mind. He IS a Jedi who would have kids, actually. He believes in love and attachment. In regards to Ford, dollars to donuts one of the delays in this screenplay being finished was likely negotiating with him. I think he is one and done for this trilogy. Maybe he dies and that is the catalyst for Luke picking up the saber again, in which case he would feature prominently in the next two films along with the Solo daughter, who keep in mind would be Force sensitive like her Mom and brash like her Dad. Sounds pretty cool!

Actually when you put it that way, about Luke, I am changing my mind. He IS a Jedi who would have kids, actually. He believes in love and attachment. In regards to Ford, dollars to donuts one of the delays in this screenplay being finished was likely negotiating with him. I think he is one and done for this trilogy. Maybe he dies and that is the catalyst for Luke picking up the saber again, in which case he would feature prominently in the next two films along with the Solo daughter, who keep in mind would be Force sensitive like her Mom and brash like her Dad. Sounds pretty cool!
I get the same sense about Ford's involvement. One and done... he might probably be the heroic death we get in the first movie. Solo's a funny character - I could see a kidnapped child (and wife) being the reason for him being involved as heavily as he is rumored to be.

Guess we could go back to how Ford was biatching back in ROJ about how he wanted to do more with Solo and he actually wanted to kill him off,so maybe that's gonna happen?

Maybe see Luke as a Jedi master but with a bunch of kids who's a bit reluctant to get in some mess until something goes down with Solo then he gets his dark side on and goes looking for somebody with a vengeance? he DID get pretty cranky when Jabba had Solo,no telling what'd happen if somebody killed the guy,maybe go Vader for a bit.

Guess we could go back to how Ford was biatching back in ROJ about how he wanted to do more with Solo and he actually wanted to kill him off,so maybe that's gonna happen?

Maybe see Luke as a Jedi master but with a bunch of kids who's a bit reluctant to get in some mess until something goes down with Solo then he gets his dark side on and goes looking for somebody with a vengeance? he DID get pretty cranky when Jabba had Solo,no telling what'd happen if somebody killed the guy,maybe go Vader for a bit.

Or maybe Solo is killed trying to protect his daughter, who maybe causing imbalance in the Force, and Leia has to go make him come out of seclusion.

Or maybe Solo is killed trying to protect his daughter, who maybe causing imbalance in the Force, and Leia has to go make him come out of seclusion.

I get the feeling if that happens it's not a matter of getting Luke to step up it'd be a matter of getting out of his way,that boy has his Vader moments and messing with his friends is one that gets him going (admit it he was fairly bad ass when he went after Jabba)

Agreed. While I love Ford and Solo, I'm hoping Luke is the character who propels the action/story forward. At this point it's probably wise to take all rumors with a large grain of salt.

You'know here's an off the wall thought-what if Luke gets Knobi'd and it's Solo and his kid who are after bloody revenge? nobody mentions the fact that it's Luke who could die.

I like the idea of Luke passing on what he learned and then becoming one with the force. I really want to see it go that way, but I think people would complain JJ was just copying the original Star Wars.

Which is exactly what making Luke a secluded hermit would be...an exact copy of Obi from ANH. Not sure why anybody would want that.

It just seems like what would actually happen.

Maybe some of it is my own nostalgia for the OT, and the desire for a new generation to view Luke the way I see Obi-Wan, but it just feels right. I dont want to see another Death Star, and I hope everything else with the direction of the story is completely different from the OT, but this one aspect, Luke as the wise old Jedi master, passing on his force wielding knowledge to the next generation, it just feels right. A perfect way to connect the new with the old.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back