Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

But in all fairness, although Kate McKninnon's character is ostensibly "the Egon" of the group, she is not Egon. If we can make some insinuations from the costume, it seems her character is a bit more....eccentric.

And again, this is one picture without any other context whatsoever.

i'm not sure if this came from paul feig, or twitter....but if feig....have you EVER seen a movie director actually WANT to **** off the fans? this is kind of like showing an old proton pack get blown to smithereens in a video and saying 'forget what you know' ;o)

edit - until anyone comes up with something different, apparently this was dome by some news site called 'ghostbusters news'. who are apparently pro paul feig. you'd think doing something like this might not be the best idea now! :)

Neil, I would recommend taking a few days off from this thread, watch the original Ghostbusters, maybe with the commentary track on, enjoy it for what it is and bask in the undeniable truth that no one will ever take away or undo that film. That's a heck of a lot more than what can be said for Star Wars. Even if the world were to be swallowed by the sun and all traces of humanity and it's accomplishments turned into nothingness, know that you were a part of an existence that had Ghostbusters.

Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure of that. Not on this forum. About 15 years professional experience myself, and I've seen work here that is way better than what I did in the business...primarily because most of what happens here is for love, not pay. (and because people here build things to last 20 years and look good in your hand, and real props are usually built to last 20 days and look good at whatever distance it may be seen from by people who will never get to touch it). But also because, some of the people here are ****ing amazing prop builders.

Here's a little gem to spark some memories though:
View attachment 495401

Although it was meant to be homemade, it was meant to be homemade by someone who was a genius. The idea was that they had built something cutting edge.

That's a fair point. I certainly don't mean to question anyone's professional experience here at all - I know there are legit art folks here as well as people who, as you say, have put their 10,000+ hours into making seriously amazing things as good or better than those made on tight turnarounds by people in the business. I'll freely admit I'm neither. No offense meant at all - I was honestly aiming in the opposite direction.

I guess what I mean is that a movie like this - however ill-advised or mediocre it may very well prove to be - is at the very least, we should confidently assume, employing artists who are passionate, talented and experienced at what they do (because in my decade of professional experience, art people are some of the most dedicated and hardworking people in the business), and their work, especially out of meaningful context, deserves the benefit of the doubt. It makes me sad to see people here dismiss their work out of hand, especially since this is, the vast majority of the time, a haven of goodwill toward under-appreciated art department people - even for movies and props that aren't, let's be honest, masterpieces (which, we can all agree, GB'84 and the proton pack were).

I guess what I mean is that a movie like this - however ill-advised or mediocre it may very well prove to be - is at the very least, we should confidently assume, employing artists who are passionate, talented and experienced at what they do (because in my decade of professional experience, art people are some of the most dedicated and hardworking people in the business), and their work, especially out of meaningful context, deserves the benefit of the doubt. It makes me sad to see people here dismiss their work out of hand, especially since this is, the vast majority of the time, a haven of goodwill toward under-appreciated art department people - even for movies and props that aren't, let's be honest, masterpieces (which, we can all agree, GB'84 and the proton pack were).

Everything you say here is true. Including your earlier point that this movie could be amazing...we just don't know yet.

At the same time, with what we know, we can only call em like we see em. We don't know much, but what we do know makes it look like they are going in the wrong direction at full speed.

And now...I begin to wonder if the designers ever come here...if you do, yes I feel a little bad for poo-pooing your proton pack, but at the same time: you knew you were climbing Everest when you took the job. Same as the guys who took on lightsabers for the prequels, or the new Enterprise models for JJ-Trek. Fans wont even notice your work but once in a lifetime...proton packs are that once.

Maybe this was already touched on, but couldn't this be a "first attempt" pack, then they upgrade to something later in the movie…?

The new proton pack seems to tell one thing sbout the character who made it: much less professional and less ingenious than the inventor/ designer of the original pack.

I just hope that the story has some motivstion for this, e.g. they had to be cobbled together because of a horrible ghost crisis coming out of nowhere.

It certainly does not say"progessinal ghost hunters"..

And regarding prosuction design: it looks like a very cheap attempt to resemble the originals, looking like a fan-made one by someone who did not know about the RPF.

But DANG!!!Kate McKinnon does look cute in that a bit over the top stereotypical "eccentric woman" movie character look.

Maybe this was already touched on, but couldn't this be a "first attempt" pack, then they upgrade to something later in the movie…?

This could very well be the case. How many times in recent movie history have the studios sneaked out early images of iconic figures only to throw us off the scent.
And then the real images appear later.

First Robo cop suit in the robocop remake was a nod to the old movie. then later we see the stealth suit.
First images of Dark Justice then we learn that there will be multiple bat suits.
Crazy variations of the Ironman suits keep coming in every movie.

This could be a prototype proton pack and then they reveal something bigger and badder.
We can only hope this is the case cause this looks like it was cobbled from the trash bin at the plumbers supply down the street.

Regardless If this movie is anything like Paul's previous movies I'm sure I'll need a diaper from pissing and crapping myself silly from laughter.

When scientists build prototype equipment they don't construct everything themselves. What happens is they buy various sensors, equipment, etc. made by different vendors and then cobble it all together.
For me that's what worked so well with the original design and what I feel is missing in the new one. The original pack just looks like it could work and oddly enough resembles some of the equipment my fiance uses to monitor the particle accelerator and fire the particle beam at samples at her job.
The new pack just doesn't look like it could work and the prop builders didn't mask the parts they used well enough. The tackle box, stove top and pipe fittings are just too obvious.

My issues with the proton pack have nothing do with the movie, I admit, I'm not liking what I've seen and have read about the movie so far but I'm not basing my dislike of the movie on the pack alone, I'd actually be willing to admit that I liked the pack if I actually liked it, but I don't. I don't think that it has any bearing on the movie, I just don't like the design and I'd dislike every bit as much if I thought the movie was going to be any good.

Looks like crap, still. The proton pack with a pink heart on it? Might as well cover it in ****ing glitter, unicorn stickers, and Hello Kitty **** while they are at it. I'm sure when facing down Gozer they'll complain about breaking a nail. And then when they all get on the same cycle they'll skip going on a job because they're all PMSing. ***** this has to be a joke on us all that they're actually wasting money on this.

Looks like crap, still. The proton pack with a pink heart on it? Might as well cover it in ****ing glitter, unicorn stickers, and Hello Kitty **** while they are at it. I'm sure when facing down Gozer they'll complain about breaking a nail. And then when they all get on the same cycle they'll skip going on a job because they're all PMSing. ***** this has to be a joke on us all that they're actually wasting money on this.

Flagrant misogyny.

Last edited:
When scientists build prototype equipment they don't construct everything themselves. What happens is they buy various sensors, equipment, etc. made by different vendors and then cobble it all together.
For me that's what worked so well with the original design and what I feel is missing in the new one. The original pack just looks like it could work and oddly enough resembles some of the equipment my fiance uses to monitor the particle accelerator and fire the particle beam at samples at her job.
The new pack just doesn't look like it could work and the prop builders didn't mask the parts they used well enough. The tackle box, stove top and pipe fittings are just too obvious.

it also kind of states the girls arn't better scientists or builders than the guys where. maybe part of the movie suspense is this thing will malfunction at critical times?
ugh.

the whole problem with this movie is from the very start, they havn't been focusing on ghostbusters. but 'four funny girls'. if your movie outline is so weak, that people busting ghosts isn't your main selling point, this movie practically begs to be made fun of. especially when they degrade their own 'bad ass' characters by putting a heart on a 'dark and gritty' looking proton pack.

what I'd like to know is how sony wore dan and ivan down enough so they gave this thing the go ahead.....or did they mis lead them? both clearly didn't want this idea to go forward.

I had to dig a little into the production design/art department credits to get past wall of previous work on rom-coms and stuff, the rest was credits for Transformers, Phantom Menace and the such. Call me skeptical, but with that in mind I think I see where this is going. I couldn't presume there is noone capable on board at all, nor would I, but the bar in production design terms was already set pretty high. That's before we even take into account the existing prop designs etc have had 30 years for us to cherish and live with them.

A ton of the charm of 80's era production design to me came from very industrial, grounded type props, vehicles, gadgets, and so on. A lot of it also had that weird quality of being ugly while having great aesthetics. I don't see any of that in the revealed images so far, and a number of the posts on this page have echoed the same kind of concerns I'm having.

Beyond the limited props revealed so far, and regarding the actual production overall, all I've got is why do this in the first place?

Unfortunately the answer to that has already been bandied around here too. Paying homage and piggybacking a ride aren't the same thing, I remain deeply skeptical. Better to be pleasantly surprised than let down huh?

Last edited:
maybe part of the movie suspense is this thing will malfunction at critical times?
ugh.

Umm...Perhaps you should take Jeyl's suggestion and watch the original again. Because this is the gag that Murray and Akroyd play when they turn they switch the pack on for the first time.

Umm...Perhaps you should take Jeyl's suggestion and watch the original again. Because this is the gag that Murray and Akroyd play when they turn they switch the pack on for the first time.

In a film full of funny and great moments Peter and Egon squeezing to the side of the elevator in that scene stands out as my favourite.

Regarding the pack, meh. Nothing there to love but also nothing to rage about in my opinion. It just... "is". And the patina actually looks to me like its discolouration from welding.

There are many things that concern me about this film, the pack isn't one of them.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

In a film full of funny and great moments Peter and Egon squeezing to the side of the elevator in that scene stands out as my favourite.

Regarding the pack, meh. Nothing there to love but also nothing to rage about in my opinion. It just... "is". And the patina actually looks to me like its discolouration from welding.

There are many things that concern me about this film, the pack isn't one of them.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I love how that whole short scene plays out in the elevator.

I mean, look; if it were up to me, would I have remade Ghostbusters? Nah. But given that the decision to make Ghostbusters reboot happened, and it's being made with four women whom I find particularly funny, I'm gonna be on the glass half full side.

I'm a little ambivalent about the proton pack. Sure, it looks like they slapped an electric stovetop on an oscillating fan cage; but I'm not going to make too many judgements off of a single image. Maybe there's a reason that there's obviously a toolbox on the bottom.

But some people are bringing a lot of baggage to this thread. In one post, it came from home depot, in another, it was buried for 10 years (my first thought was like yours, welding marks). I don't know how one describes how a device looks "less ingenious" than another, or how it apparently gives off a "doesn't work" vibe. The DeLorean looked like a mess, but it fit the character of Doc Brown. Like I said, even though Kate McKinnon is ostensibly "the Egon," it doesn't mean that her character is going to play out the same way. Certainly it seems from the one shot we have seen, her character is a bit goofier and more eccentric.

And I dunno, I kinda thought half the humor in the first part of the original film was making fun of the fact that they were by no means "professionals."

At the end of the day, it's one static photo of one version of a prop.

The new pack looks like an upside-down RGB cartoon pack. The thrower looks like it might be interesting. I like the cable. The pack itself is a damn lazy replacement for one of the most beautiful, intricate, well-conceived props of all time...
I truly could not have said it better myself.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back