GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Oh Buzzfeed...

12 Things You Can Do To Support The New “Ghostbusters” Movie Against The Haters

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/cant-bring-us-down?utm_term=.eubjm3KVV#.hgVb2N5XX

I can't help but wonder what the reaction will be to this kind of stuff.

Like, I don't expect it to make a huge dent in the bottom line, but I wonder if the constant drone of articles and social media buzz about how people who don't like the new Ghostbusters = sexist and such couldn't also backfire a bit. I certainly don't expect it to make people already disinclined to see it say "Whoa. I'd better go see it so that I'm not a sexist, too!" But, again, I can't help but notice how much this all seems to be about the conversation about the film, rather than the film itself.

What I see in this campaign is a mixture of honest, feminist anger (which is legitimate as directed against the actual trolls/sexists), and calculated, manipulative marketing. It's not about how funny the film is. It's not about how entertaining the film is. It's about how spending boatloads of cash on this film and its associated merchandise lets you strike a blow for feminism and -- more importantly -- against the men who would hold it back.

It's just leaning so very, very hard on the casting of the film to sell the film, rather than on the quality of the film. The quality is secondary. If you're a feminist, of course you'll find the film entertaining. Or rather, it doesn't matter if you find the film entertaining, because the film is so important. It must be supported, so as to break down barriers, and show those bastards what's what! The actual merits of the film (beyond the casting, that is) are otherwise entirely irrelevant.

all this is being manufactured, no doubt, to give paul feig more power, and to paint him as a champion of womens rights. using people's own anger against them for a rise to power.

that's his dream and he's said as much in interviews. gain more power, do more cheezy gender swap movies aimed at the common denominator. become female michael bay.

and people are buying into it left and right. just look at how the women who work for him kiss his ass in interviews.

it's really all quit sad.

especially since the man has no talent for comedy.
especially when he writes it himself.

Oh Buzzfeed...

12 Things You Can Do To Support The New “Ghostbusters” Movie Against The Haters

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/cant-bring-us-down?utm_term=.eubjm3KVV#.hgVb2N5XX

This kind of shlock is the reason why I dont read buzzfeed anymore, its gotten SO out of hand. I wonder how much Sony paid them to write that "article". Its times like these that make me hate the internet. I wish this movie happened 20 years ago, but of course it wouldnt, because the social climate wasnt like it is now. This movie would have just been swept under the rug and forgotten, but no, the SJW's are out in force. I cant believe thats even a term... :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

I can't help but wonder what the reaction will be to this kind of stuff.

Like, I don't expect it to make a huge dent in the bottom line, but I wonder if the constant drone of articles and social media buzz about how people who don't like the new Ghostbusters = sexist and such couldn't also backfire a bit. I certainly don't expect it to make people already disinclined to see it say "Whoa. I'd better go see it so that I'm not a sexist, too!" But, again, I can't help but notice how much this all seems to be about the conversation about the film, rather than the film itself.

What I see in this campaign is a mixture of honest, feminist anger (which is legitimate as directed against the actual trolls/sexists), and calculated, manipulative marketing. It's not about how funny the film is. It's not about how entertaining the film is. It's about how spending boatloads of cash on this film and its associated merchandise lets you strike a blow for feminism and -- more importantly -- against the men who would hold it back.

It's just leaning so very, very hard on the casting of the film to sell the film, rather than on the quality of the film. The quality is secondary. If you're a feminist, of course you'll find the film entertaining. Or rather, it doesn't matter if you find the film entertaining, because the film is so important. It must be supported, so as to break down barriers, and show those bastards what's what! The actual merits of the film (beyond the casting, that is) are otherwise entirely irrelevant.

Dude. Very well written, couldnt agree more, well said good sir, if I was wearing a hat, I would tip it to you.

Just to be clear, that's my take on what the marketing strategy around the anti-sexist media blitz seems to be. The trailers themselves weren't all that great. They've improved somewhat, but there was really nowhere to go but up. The film itself just seems...you know...like a mediocre modern comedy that isn't particularly funny (to me, at least). It's a serviceable, run-of-the-mill comedy film from the 2010s. It's nothing special.

But the whole feminist/sexist dynamic has taken this film and turned it into something else which is completely separate from the film as a piece of entertainment. It's actual entertainment value is now -- at least for some people -- completely wrapped up in its social politics. The sexists see it as a threat, the feminists see it as a kind of advancement. And all because they decided to gender-swap the cast in a reboot story that happens to also hew pretty closely and heavily reference the source material film.

You don't see this kind of reaction to a film like Bridesmaids or Trainwreck or The Boss or Tammy or Pitch Perfect or whatever. Plenty of comedies with female leads have been made and generally well received, but very few have become political footballs like this one has.

And the thing, for me, is that while I can certainly understand people invested in these issues responding as they do, it also seems like the marketing team for this film and indeed the creative team (Feig and the lead actors) have gone HARD into this "It's all about the feminism/sexism issue" angle for this film. For Feig, I can kind of get it, especially since he's active on social media, and social media is a microcosm and pressure cooker for people to use their agendas as a cudgel with which to beat other people. I expect his Twitter feed has been choked with awful messages from awful people, so a lot of this is him fighting back, and it may have warped his perception of why/how people respond to the film.

The marketing dept, though? I think they recognize that they have a FANTASTIC way to sell merchandise without having to worry about whether the film is actually any good. At least for now. Once the initial reviews come out, that may change, but even those, I think, will have to at least acknowledge the feminist/sexist issue.

It's just leaning so very, very hard on the casting of the film to sell the film, rather than on the quality of the film.

How can people have deep discussions about the quality of the film when it has not released yet? I'm NOT saying you can't dislike the film because of the trailers, music or sony emails. What I'm saying is people are discussing what they know about the film, mostly the cast, and the events surrounding the film, all that other junk.

I doubt it will backfire. The super majority who are turned off by these articles are in the same venn diagram of people that weren't going to watch it.

I genuinely believe feig thinks he's doing crusaders work at this point, and even without the truly small hateful minority that would dislike anything no matter what it is, he'd be blind sided and gobsmacked that people don't like his vision on things. he has so many people in hollywood kissing his as as yes women that this is probably the first time someone has told him 'your work is crap'....and he doesn't know how to handle it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-29/ghostbusters-backlash-highlights-sexism-in-hollywood/7553548

the quote by that lady.... ugh. -begin al bundy mode- i think she'd be happier if she got laid once or twice. -end al bundy mode

"Further, the majority of critics reviewing these films have been male," she added. "Making a reboot of one of these films with a mostly female cast violates this group's sense that this public space belongs to them."

oy.

make a good movie, we'll love it no matter who it stars! and make it a sequel....that simple.

there's some interesting quotes from feig in their too, especially his wording on some.

I genuinely believe feig thinks he's doing crusaders work at this point, and even without the truly small hateful minority that would dislike anything no matter what it is, he'd be blind sided and gobsmacked that people don't like his vision on things. he has so many people in hollywood kissing his as as yes women that this is probably the first time someone has told him 'your work is crap'....and he doesn't know how to handle it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-29/ghostbusters-backlash-highlights-sexism-in-hollywood/7553548

the quote by that lady.... ugh. -begin al bundy mode- i think she'd be happier if she got laid once or twice. -end al bundy mode

"Further, the majority of critics reviewing these films have been male," she added. "Making a reboot of one of these films with a mostly female cast violates this group's sense that this public space belongs to them."

oy.

make a good movie, we'll love it no matter who it stars! and make it a sequel....that simple.

there's some interesting quotes from feig in their too, especially his wording on some.

Of course they're going to scream "sexism" when told their ****ty film is ****ty. They don't have any real defense otherwise than to make an empty argument to justify their failures as filmmakers

Last edited:
So I rewatched GBII still not great but compared to the little I've seen of this....
Funny thing in GBII:when Peter is on at the beginning on his show the woman said the would world end on Feb 12th 2016....gee a few months later and we'd see a GB apocalypse...

I havn't even seen these in stores yet, not a kmart, not a toys r us, nothing.

and then i see this. i literally lol'ed.... I hope it's a good sign

n9nSN9T.jpg

Have they done any critic screenings yet? If not thats a huge sign of a stinker. All in, this movie needs to churn out $300 mill to break even. Dont see that happening.
Critic screenings have already begun. I've been hearing two dates for the review embargo being lifted-- 7/5 and 7/10.

Critic screenings have already begun. I've been hearing two dates for the review embargo being lifted-- 7/5 and 7/10.

If thats the case, hopefully they have retooled this enough to be passable. And lets be honest, Subway isnt the best food, but its the largest restaurant chain. They just need to make it good enough to satisfy the masses.

Dont know if this has already been posted but this critic nails it on the head:

http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ghostbusters-reboot-movie-critic-refuses-to-review/

If thats the case, hopefully they have retooled this enough to be passable. And lets be honest, Subway isnt the best food, but its the largest restaurant chain. They just need to make it good enough to satisfy the masses.

http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ghostbusters-reboot-movie-critic-refuses-to-review/

I wouldn't trust ANY critics reviews at this point, especially if they are positive.

we've seen how bought and paid for 97% of the press is these days.

again, normally i don't like promoting youtubers, but another sensible video.

Did I understand his explanation right? if you buy from fandango, the movie studio doesn't get as much profit?
I don't think i heard that right

Last edited by a moderator:

Er that article is making fun of Rolfe. So yes, I agree it is a great article :)

Just when you think this conversation can't get any more stupid.

That thing barely even makes sense in places. It's like the person writing it was so angry about the fact that a guy most people have never heard of isn't going to see the chosen film, that they've been rendered incoherent by it.

That thing barely even makes sense in places. It's like the person writing it was so angry about the fact that a guy most people have never heard of isn't going to see the chosen film, that they've been rendered incoherent by it.

it's not the only one....

honestly, the way some people reply to thoughtful responses, or try to twist your response without directly answering it, or to make you look silly for not fully understanding something..

it's one reason why i've all but withdrawn from online interaction. only in a few places now. it's very easy to drive one crazy when you write out a page long response and have it either ignored, or just brushed off. as i know a fe of you on here have had happen as well ;o)

Supposedly the NY premier has been cancelled or just plain moved to LA.

Now, here is a question for Westies14 , our hollywood expert

What is the purpouse of a premier? I know it's a big party for all the cast and crew. but, also isn't used as a promotional event to get press out there for interviews, AND used as a critic screening to boot?

If they cancel the NY screening, wouldn't that show a lack of faith in their product?

I want to see if my understanding is correct.

The fact that things like Madam Tussades is in NY and the 'secret two day party ' in brooklyn promoting the film would be two totally different elements compared to a premier party, right?

I was referring to the video, not the article.

He had some great points: Make a continuation, Include some of the original cast members....NOT CAMEOS, introduce the new cast members to pass the torch onto. 'Not going to watch the movie' ...BS. He will watch it and not post a review, but he will watch it.

Although I didnt particularly like Star Wars TFA, they included the old cast and passed the torch and continued the story. They did it respectfully. Can you imagine the crapfest if Disney tried to pass off a rebooted Star Wars with all new characters, bad writing and Mark Hamill playing a galactic hot dog vendor?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mindy-kaling-predicted-female-ghostbusters-backlash/

the problem with modern hollywood right here. all about what they want, and not what's good for the franchise.

your idea is terrible as ghostbusters, mindy. maybe not terrible as an original property dealing with ghosts, but terrible as ghostbusters.

I can see Natilee Portman as the venkman type though. she looks like she could give a crap about nothing in real life.

Ivan, like dan in jay leno's garage, talks so slow and un interested about this reboot, he really looks dead inside about it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back