Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

I noticed when dismantling the belt in my kit that they used a really hard pink colored bondo to adhere pieces together. I would imagine that the completed ensemble version will be pretty difficult to customize if they use this same adhesive for the whole suit.

I noticed when dismantling the belt in my kit that they used a really hard pink colored bondo to adhere pieces together. I would imagine that the completed ensemble version will be pretty difficult to customize if they use this same adhesive for the whole suit.

That awful epoxy was only used in the one place. CA glue was used in other places, and CA glue is what the Anovos-supplied instructions say to use (for unfathomable reasons, when E6000 is the superior choice by far), so in all likelihood, CA glue is what they'll use for the preassembled suits, when they finally go out. Which is insane since it pretty much guarantees any alterations needed will be a nightmare, at best, and impossible, at worst.

Too much velcro with the assembled kit/full emsemble, and I know velcro is great, and I know it was used by NASA in the space program, but it's not going to hold up with the amount of trooping I'm planning. I'm building another ANOVOS TK and will scrap the webbing and just use 90% snaps. However, for a velcro system, it is holding up much better than I expected, I just think I'll like snaps much better overall.
Extremely impressed with these suits though. I can clearly see where they cleaned things up, but overall, I love it.
The supplied Velcro rigging is impressive, for what it is, but I look at it as a temporary solution. It's absolutely fantastic for people who want to use the suit once per year at Halloween, or just display it on a mannequin, just not for long term trooping. It's still great for serious troopers, however, as it provides an easy to install option that lets you size every piece easily and quickly, and then it rips out easily and cleanly when it's all dialed in and you're ready to install a semi-permanent snap system that's less adjustable.

Too much velcro with the assembled kit/full emsemble, and I know velcro is great, and I know it was used by NASA in the space program, but it's not going to hold up with the amount of trooping I'm planning. I'm building another ANOVOS TK and will scrap the webbing and just use 90% snaps. However, for a velcro system, it is holding up much better than I expected, I just think I'll like snaps much better overall.
Extremely impressed with these suits though. I can clearly see where they cleaned things up, but overall, I love it.
Oh criminy! The completed ensemble is held together with VELCRO? I wonder if it's too late to cancel the order? (Of course it's not, it's Anovos. It probably won't ship 'til 2018)
Seriously, do you have one of the completed ensembles? Are they shipping? Any pics of how it's held together?

Oh criminy! The completed ensemble is held together with VELCRO? I wonder if it's too late to cancel the order? (Of course it's not, it's Anovos. It probably won't ship 'til 2018)
Seriously, do you have one of the completed ensembles? Are they shipping? Any pics of how it's held together?

No one knows for certain what the prebuilt armor is going to be held together with, because no one has received one yet.

It's a safe bet that it will use the same adjustable Velcro as the kits, however. Considering the prebuilt armor hasn't been sized, as it should be, and as we have the chance to do with the kits, adjustability is a good thing. The most commonly used systems in the 501st (screen-accurate hooks, or updated systems with snaps) aren't adjustable, since they're used to rig up armor that has been sized to an individual, and those systems are precisely made to cause the armor to lay just so on the person they're built for. So again, customized. With the prebuilt armor option you chose, there was no way to customize to the individual. (you'll note you did not send in dozens of different measurements for them to cut the armor to) If you want a remote chance of it fitting you, and adjustable rigging system is needed, and the Anovos Velcro system is actually pretty decent. Just not decent enough to hold up to someone who troops regularly.

I wouldn't cancel. I think the system is going to hold up for a while. I'm not going to add snaps until I have to. These Are VERY nice sets of armor. You will not be disappointed.

ANOVOS has restructured their financing model for their ponzi scheme. no more tiered pricing, and a "payment plan" option. coupons and discount codes most likely wont work. updates on anovos.com

Last edited:
Woah! Since when did they offer a non-soft goods package of the stormie for $200 less?! The under suit and gloves are definitely not worth $200. I'm eventually going to replace the stock under suit with some under amour.

Woah! Since when did they offer a non-soft goods package of the stormie for $200 less?! The under suit and gloves are definitely not worth $200. I'm eventually going to replace the stock under suit with some under amour.

I was told by a few locals who got the soft parts that the body suit was rubbing off the black in the wash as well as on them after wearing it

I was told by a few locals who got the soft parts that the body suit was rubbing off the black in the wash as well as on them after wearing it

:wacko

I didn't order anything from the Stormtrooper (helmet or suit), as I'm just too tall. But if I'm having the coloring of the under suit coming off on me as I wear it, like your skin discoloring from cheap watches & jewelry, that AIN'T cool man.

You can use a discount code when paying in full. You can't when using the payment plan. You have a choice. It's similar to different options when buying a car as far as chosing between a rebate or a lower interest rate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I like the option of not buying the soft goods for the classic stormtrooper. Many people don't need another set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Man, if I had known they were going to add another option for no soft goods, I would have waited a few more months and saved some money. Instead, I have some cheap black PJs that will rub off on me. :thumbsdown

SB

They just posted that new pre-order yesterday. New price is $450 for the armor kit (incl belt and holster and assembled bucket), or $650 to add in the undersuit, gloves and neck seal. $200 for the soft goods is a joke. I actually like the undersuit, but it's certainly not better than UnderArmor, and the neck seal (which fits me nicely) is not as nice as a custom-sized Darman neck seal. Black rubber chemical gloves are like $5. So for about $150 you can have much better quality soft goods. Just buy the armor. :) At $450 is still quite a good price.

- - - Updated - - -

:wacko

I didn't order anything from the Stormtrooper (helmet or suit), as I'm just too tall. But if I'm having the coloring of the under suit coming off on me as I wear it, like your skin discoloring from cheap watches & jewelry, that AIN'T cool man.

I'm 6'3" and the Anovos armor worked well for me with only minor modifications. There's at least one guy a couple of inches taller who also made it work, with a couple more minor mods.

The Anovos undersuit bleeds a little bit on the edges of the armor until it's been washed a bunch, but nothing drastic. Doesn't bleed on your body at all. (Regardless, for the price, just buy UnderArmor)

"ANOVOS uses funding from pre-orders for research and development of new products. The Payment Plan, while a great benefit to customers, effectively reduces valuable capital used for product development."

How is this not a Ponzi Scheme? Your pre-order money isn't going for the product you are pre-ordering. It's going for some other idea that they may have down the road.

Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

How is this not a Ponzi Scheme? Your pre-order money isn't going for the product you are pre-ordering. It's going for some other idea that they may have down the road.

Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

They don't indicate what percentage goes towards R&D, but yes. A portion of profits from any sale for manufactured goods is slated for R&D. Hello, Apple, Intel, Microsoft, Bowers & Wilkins, Nikon, Sony....

The big difference is, those companies don't put out a product until it's ready for shipping, and sell for full retail price.

The Anovos/EFX/MR use a "go fund me" scheme, and in some cases they sell low to get money into the pipeline a bit more quickly before the product is finished.

I bought in early with TILE, and it took 18 months get my product. I hated the experience, so I don't do the Go Fund Me schemes anymore.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back