ROTJ or ESB DH-17 reference pics?

When the Deathstar Troopers pull these guns out of their holsters in the Detention Block they practically look like long handguns instead of short rifles.

Well as you know, the Star Wars visual dictionary is filled with many replicas in order to have quality images in the book. So now I guess I am asking, does that image/ or the prop itself exist in the LFL archives? Or is there any other good info about this variant existing in the movie that was not a cast?

Also, from what I see, the small size of the A New Hope variant is not due to time or recasting as they appear closer to pistol size in the movie as well. I would imagine that those are first generation pulls made shortly after the mold was made. I do not recall another cast item appearing smaller due to casting in the way that the DH-17 appears to be.

In close, I basically am just looking to be educated in this subject. Mostly I am confused by what I see in regards to this prop.

Well...the ROTJ DH17 was/is part of various exhibitions and is pictured along with the ROTJ E-11 in post #6
So the answer if this prop exists in the archives should be yes. Not sure about its use in ROTJ, never been someone to do screencaps.

The size difference of the cast ANH DH17 I was referring to is not based on the actual build/ setup of the blaster (shorter rear section w/o trunnion, no mag well, repositioned sight etc., but the shrinkage of the castings compared to real L2A3 components. I would say it is at least 10% smaller (O.D. of receiver, grips, endcap etc.) The mold we see was obviously made from an already -poorly- cast blaster, hence the additional shrinkage.

Markus

The MGC based Rebel Blasters were absolutely made for ROTJ, but never appear on screen anywhere.

The first film rebel blasters have thick trigger guards and no magazines.

The ESB rebel blasters have thinner trigger guards, have magazines, and have more extensive greeblie detailing.

Brandon

The MGC based Rebel Blasters were absolutely made for ROTJ, but never appear on screen anywhere.
There are lots of extras on Home One in ROTJ, that we never get to see up close. Maybe one of them has the blaster in a holster ...

The ESB rebel blasters have thinner trigger guards ...
Except for the blaster that Lando is holding in a promo pic, which I posted above.
Other than that detail, I see no other difference from the Planet Hollywood blaster. Hey, this blaster could have been damaged and the trigger guard thickened in the repair.
On the other hand, quite a few were cast for the Rebel Soldiers on Hoth, each one of them carrying one as a side-arm, so maybe there was more than one mould. I also think there are at least two variations of the ESB stunt E-11 blaster.

Last edited:
I've always thought the same thing. It just doesn't seem as big as a Sterling.

When the Deathstar Troopers pull these guns out of their holsters in the Detention Block they practically look like long handguns instead of short rifles.

IMHO The ANH blasters should be designated as something else. I agree, much more pistol like (size and the way it is wielded and held) than the ESB/ROTJ size utilized as a tactical rifle style.

If I had any skill and proper tools, I would love to turn my MR DH-17 into a ESB or ROTJ variant because it appears to be a size better suited for it. I know this might be sacrilegious to some of our more prominent blaster enthusiast here, but I quite enjoy the my ANH variant I modified from the Hasbro toy. I know it is smaller than the ANH version but it is closer in size (IMHO) than the Sterling/MGC scale.

Like I said earlier, I'd love to see someone develop and nice 3D print of the body of the DH-17 ANH variant.

Definately held/wielded like a pistol:

600px-StarWars-DH-171.jpg

600px-StarWars-DH-172.jpg

Well...the ROTJ DH17 was/is part of various exhibitions and is pictured along with the ROTJ E-11 in post #6
So the answer if this prop exists in the archives should be yes. Not sure about its use in ROTJ, never been someone to do screencaps.

The size difference of the cast ANH DH17 I was referring to is not based on the actual build/ setup of the blaster (shorter rear section w/o trunnion, no mag well, repositioned sight etc., but the shrinkage of the castings compared to real L2A3 components. I would say it is at least 10% smaller (O.D. of receiver, grips, endcap etc.) The mold we see was obviously made from an already -poorly- cast blaster, hence the additional shrinkage.

Markus

Since I had a vivid discussion with MJF about the ANH DH17 recently, I took some quick comparsion pics of my MR DH17 vs. a cast taken from the mold we see in post #6. I am still convinced that the reason for the shrinkage is mainly due to the flaws of the "master" the mold was taken from. Obviously the prop dept. cobbled together a "something" to be used as a background prop.

In total it seems about 10% smaller, while the receiver is not round at all...hell, it´s not even oval, but more eliptical. That´s how bad the mold/ cast is! :lol The trigger housing and grip itself does not "suffer" from shrinkage as much as the other areas of the blaster...don´t know what´s going on here!?

Markus

In total it seems about 10% smaller, while the receiver is not round at all...hell, it´s not even oval, but more eliptical. That´s how bad the mold/ cast is! :lol The trigger housing and grip itself does not "suffer" from shrinkage as much as the other areas of the blaster...don´t know what´s going on here!?

Great pictures and review. Based on the info; how about this theory?

The prop guys took a poorly cast sterling (liked it because they wanted something smaller). They cut off or whittled down the barrel and added the existing barrel. They also cut off the handle (maybe it was too small looking or very poorly cast to be usable). They then either used real sections from a Sterling or cut off that portion from a better casting of a Sterling and utilized that as the replacement grip section. They then added the round trigger guard… maybe they just wanted it to look different or they screwed up the trigger guard during removal/attachment and had to come up with something. As I write this, I have to wonder if this gun was originally envisioned for some one like Greedo or another alien who had bigger fingers. Then of course the addition of the rail, then used it to make a mold.
:wacko​

Odiwan72, am I correct in noticing in your photo taken from the the casting's butt (heh, I said butt) section that the grip section is slanted, like it was misaligned?

...slight slant IMHO, but warped and significantly "squished" just like the receiver.

Your theory is just as good as any other :lol
In the end it boils down to the question, if the prop dept. did it by purpose OR accident so us prop builders can decide which way to go ;)

Markus

Last edited:
Just weird.

I do not know a lot about mold making and casting, but is it possible that bad mold might have more shrinkage in one section than another?

The big surprise to me is the difference in size… it is bigger than what it looks like on screen. On screen it looks like it should be 75-80% smaller… like a pistol. I guess it is an illusion because of the light weight nature of the casting,their ability to wield it with ease, and the way they hold it.

I think that it looks like several mould lines on that pommel.

At least we can confirm that the box under the scope had a trapezoidal cross section - that is something that I have been wondering for a while. But I wonder if it is supposed to be so thin, or if that is a casting defect.

On the ANH and ESB versions, the trigger/grip assembly had been moved back on the gun.
On the ROTJ version the end was instead chopped off and the end details moved forward.

BTW, I think that the distance between front and rear sight on the ANH/ESB versions could match that of the Mk 7 Paratrooper version of the Sterling.
Edit: There seems to be three different versions of the mk7 pistol, with different length receivers, and the Rebel Blaster is only close to one of them.
FYI - The Sterling Mk7 pistol was ruled out as the basis for the DH-17's because Sterling didn't release them until 1983- way too late to be used anywhere in the OT.

Last edited:
Thanks, so I could use the resin pistol grip and other stuff from the doopydoos e11 kit to make one of these?
Indeed. Here is a blueprint of MR's replica that you could use for placing the parts on your pipe. The placement and relative dimensions should be the same as for the ESB blaster. It also has a template for the cone at the tip of the barrel.

You could get the barrel from a Hasbro blaster, but the ribs are somewhat asymmetric to avoid undercuts when moulding. The Hasbro's scope is also too short, so I would suggest a resin cast for that too.

Thanks. My ESB blaster is complete - the only addition I have made is a reflective disc at the back of the scope. On the ANH blaster I am going to modify the scope rail so it is trapezoidal like in OdiWan72's pics above.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back