Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Love seeing this quote from Rian Johnson....

“I want it to be a blast and to be funny and to be a ride the way ‘The Force Awakens’ and the original ‘Star Wars’ movies were,” Johnson said.

YEAH!

Sounds like Rian Johnson gets it!

"Blast" "Funny" "A ride"

I'm on board.

Last edited by a moderator:

So long as the "funny" is kept in check. I like a little quip from time to time, but K2 and Finn have both been a bit much for me. Especially Finn. I know I've brought it up before, but the one-liners got to be a bit much for me in TFA. Not enough to ruin anything for me, but it did take me out of the movie a couple times.

With the kind of hype and publicity this series gets without paying tons of money - I really doubt we'll get a Super Bowl ad.

So long as the "funny" is kept in check. I like a little quip from time to time, but K2 and Finn have both been a bit much for me. Especially Finn. I know I've brought it up before, but the one-liners got to be a bit much for me in TFA. Not enough to ruin anything for me, but it did take me out of the movie a couple times.

Weird, Finn didn't bug me with his quips, but maybe cuz he's the stand in for the viewer? Does that make sense? Finn was more fish out of water... Experiencing everything happening... and commenting on it.

K-2SO, while I liked him, felt a bit TOO quippy, and more quippy than Finn. And I'm guessing that's because all the humor in the film was put on K-2SO's shoulders, likely as part of the reshoots (though they would just rewrite his lines)

And I likely found him more quippy cuz Finn had his moments of doubt, loss, fear, sadness... That's not anything against K-2SO... it would be weird if the droid had all of those...

Of course R2 and threepio did though... so... I dunno.

I guess what I'm getting at is I have no idea what I'm talking about. But typing on this forum instead of working is fun.

"Disney needs to come up with some original concept art!"

*Disney creates new concept art*

"Disney should use this old concept art!"

lol classic

I'm sure that would be hilarious if not for the fact that SW Rebels and Rogue One did exactly what I said. They used existing things when they fit.

Maybe a new TIE Advanced? [link snipped]
I'll give you that that's just a concept, and I'll give them points for attempting to actually design a new fighter in this movie. However it's no where near as cool as the TIE Advanced/Avenger, a design Lucasfilm already owns, which looks like a direct advancement of Vader's TIE technology.

http://i.imgur.com/nDFSqis.jpg
"Disney needs to come up with some original concept art!"

*Disney creates new concept art*

"Disney should use this old concept art!"

lol classic

To be fair, the TIE Advanced/Avenger wasn't concept art, but a fully realized design that appeared in three computer games, the Decipher card game, and several ship guides. This is more... grumbling about them coming up with "new" designs that are almost but not quite exactly like existing designs -- so why bother putting all that work in and not just use the design that's there for the using? Especially with the also previously established TIE Defender coming along in Rebels.

Or else make it actually original. I'm all for new TIE designs. I still wish they'd gone with the concept art for the new fighter that they came up with for TFA. It was new and interesting and a two-seater and unlike anything prior while still being obviously a TIE. Perfect for showing evolution within the setting.

Fighters_zpss28qd9xa.jpg

--Jonah

They could also have new ships that aren't based on the ATAT, ATST, tie, shuttle or star destroyer.

Let's have other ships!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Exactly! I mean, mods are cool and all but let's see some totally badass original stuff!!!!!

To be fair, the TIE Advanced/Avenger wasn't concept art, but a fully realized design that appeared in three computer games, the Decipher card game, and several ship guides. This is more... grumbling about them coming up with "new" designs that are almost but not quite exactly like existing designs -- so why bother putting all that work in and not just use the design that's there for the using? Especially with the also previously established TIE Defender coming along in Rebels.

Or else make it actually original. I'm all for new TIE designs. I still wish they'd gone with the concept art for the new fighter that they came up with for TFA. It was new and interesting and a two-seater and unlike anything prior while still being obviously a TIE. Perfect for showing evolution within the setting.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Adabiel/Star Wars/Fighters_zpss28qd9xa.jpeg

--Jonah

That's what I'm saying. If Lucasfilm has a design that fits something they need, and it doesn't suck, why not use it? That concept is just a redesign of Vader's TIE. I have no problem if they design a new TIE though. Just design something and not just paint it a different color and throw some antennae on it.

My issue with it is that this is not the empire. This is the first order. And smoke is not the emperor (unless for some reason he is). It makes no sense to me that they would simply model their designs after the empire. They want to eclipse the empire, not be them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I really hope they don't end up rather slavishly copying Harry Potter, but elements of the story are starting to seem alot like it.
The "Convors" and how they link to certain people are beginning to look a little too much like owls to me, you know ,those personal messengers that are only connected to magical beings like wizards -sorry- JEDI . That makes the story feel a bit juvenile to me and disappointingly unoriginal and Disneyfied.

Frankly, the longer they keep stuff away from us, the happier i'll be. I'd like to know as little as possible going in and if no one knows anything it's much harder to spoil :)

Why release a trailer when R1 is already keeping Star Wars in the public eye? Makes sense to wait until R1 dies down to release it to make keep SW in the psyche of the public year round.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back