Marvel Black Panther Costume

CptFalcon

Hi all,
This is my first thread. I am considering doing a cosplay of the Black Panther from Marvel's new Civil War movie, which was amazing, but I'm not sure what kind of material I should use for the suit. I have attached some images below. Any ideas?

BPcloseUp.jpg BPTorso.jpg

I'm working on this idea as well. And it's been a long process.
I've got a newb build thread here.

I started planing and build this when there were only concept pictures and a few on the set shoots. So from what I could see, it looked like the material was maybe Cordura, so that's what I've gone with. I'm using spandex for the base (see post #4), and Cordura for the texture detail. However, this is a very long and tedious process and it may not reflect the detail of the screen used costume.

Check this out for some pictures of the Screen used costume.

After having seen these pics, I realized that the material was different then I thought. But I'm still not sure what it is. It seems to have actual raised detail so I don't think it's just a print.
For my sisters suit (Shuri costume), we bought a black mesh to sew on top of the spandex to try and imitate the screen used suits texture. Not exact, but might turn out looking cool (in progress pic).

My sister had some cloth from a dance uniform that has a similar look to the screen used suit. But it was pink, we didn't know what it was called, and we couldn't find anything similar in black.

My thought is, if you can find a suitable material that matched the look of the base costume, then adding the leather (pleather) details wont be to hard. It'll be a lot easier then my method of adding lots of cordura pieces to a spandex base.

Marvel loves to silicon print on spandex (or other stretch materials), so it's a good bet that that's what this is. That's how Daredevil, Cap, Falcon, Deadpool and a number of others were made.

Thanks for the monks fabric idea. Any ideas on how to do the darker strips? I was thinking of possibly gluing on strips of black leather.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back