GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

In case you weren't aware of it. CGI is just like the tools they used to make the originals: tools! You still need to know how and when to use it. Like a piece of rock and a hammer, if the guy who's holding the hammer knows how to use it, you can get something like Michelangelo's David. Or if the person has no idea,

you get something that looks crappy like my cgi project ;o)

the dislike ratio is growing by the day. imagine by the time this thing is released..I wonder if sony would be so embarrassed they'd just pull the plug at this point. isn't embarrassing the company a major thing in japan? (things I learned from Mr.Baseball ;o))

Saw this posted by my local CBS radio station. I guess most twitter people don't watch SNL. from what I gathered here..this is all leslie jones does.loud and obnoxious. just like all mcarthy does is be loud and fat and obnoxious. (minus gilmore girls apparently). the other lady who doesn't look like egon looks asleep in half her scenes...like meghan fox expressionless asleep.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/03/03/ghostbusters-trailer-met-with-excitement-but-also-fears-of-racist-tropes/

Looks like one of these popcorn summer comedies, I'll probably watch it on Netflix when it's out. I don't see anything in this trailer that indicates it is any better or worse than your standard Kristen Wiig comedies, they're usually fine for passing 1h30 and leave you in a good mood when you've got nothing to do, I don't get all the hate here... It's not like the first Ghost Busters was a master piece neither, it was a fun comedy that hasn't aged all the well today.

I'm pretty excited to see this when it comes out. Granted it's hewing more in tone to something like 'R.I.P.D.' than the original movie but it still has all the things I would want from a modern Ghostbusters movie.

Usually Entertainment Tonight has nothing but good things to say about impending releases, but I saw their report from yesterday and even they said it "borrows heavily from the original". I guess the best we can hope for is a pale imitation.

Portion of the Q&A from the trailer sneak peek my team and I attended Wednesday morning at the Sony lot. A very awesome day for fans. Lots of great one on one discussion with Ivan and Paul after the trailer debut. Any worries I had have gone away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly this is the main villain.

zyTzZOt.jpg

Literally the personification of the GB logo.

What better way to represent the utter destruction of the franchise?

Supposedly this is the main villain.

http://i.imgur.com/zyTzZOt.jpg

Literally the personification of the GB logo.

What better way to represent the utter destruction of the franchise?

would it have been better if this was first and stay puft had never happened? or would it still not be as cool as stay puft?

Dislikes are now almost at 100,000 ratio to likes. oh sony sony sony, you have been a bad monkey.....ray, we'd like to shoot the sony monster, could you move please?

they'd have been better off saving face and firing feig in month three. it would have soon been forgotten...rather than dragging it out for a year till this point.

although in Ghostbusters case, THIS one at least had dan and ivan TRYING to keep it on track as best they could on the gadget side of things. they may not have had total control, but at least you could kind of see their style in it, so I can see why some folks are hopeful or want to be hopeful.

not so much with turtles.

Not sure if trolling or serious. If serious, I will never read a post from you seriously again. :lol

GB1 is brilliantly written and absolutely stands up today.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

I chose to ignore it.

The only thing that could possibly date ghostbusters is some of the fashion...and one or two disco songs. that's it.

other than corded phones, what could date it?

heh, the irony with this one is, even if they referenced pop culture icons, like the Muppets did with Spice Girls.....most of the 80s pop culture icons are just as popular today as they where then, so even that wouldn't date it ;o)...

I mean, really, to me, it doesn't matter who it is. The minutiae of the film doesn't really matter a ton to me. Oh, the Ecto-1 is a hearse instead of an ambulance? I don't care that much. The suits have a bright line across the chest instead of being just brown? Yeah, don't really care. The proton-pistol lick? Meh, don't really care.

What I care about, what bugs me the most, is that (1) they wanted to make this its own thing, so they severed it from the continuity of the original film.....buuuuuuuuut (2) they wanted to "be so, so respectful" to the first film, and to do that, they basically lifted a LOT of references.

Man, if you're gonna sever the film from the continuity, have the ****ing stones to let the film stand on its own. You went "it's a reboot" for a ******* reason. Make your choice, and own it. Don't try to have it both ways.

Ultimately, that's the biggest problem I see with this: it's trying to have it both ways. It's not as bad as having, say, a shot-for-shot remake like Gus Van Sant's Psycho, but still, the thing I keep coming back to is:

Why. Did. You. Bother?

Why bother disconnecting this film from the originals, if you were just going to ape it left and right? The trailer just makes the film look like a pointless remake with a gender swap. And sure, on its face, it's...you know, fine. Probably decently funny like most of the modern comedies you see nowadays. But really, why did this movie need to be made at all?

There doesn't seem to be nearly as much new stuff, or at least what's new seems totally overshadowed by the old stuff. I guess the thing that just really sticks in my craw is that they seem to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater. There was just no need to eliminate the continuity of the old films. This could ALWAYS have been a true sequel, instead of a remake.

The Q&A Discussion paints a much different picture than everything I have been seeing. Did they not release the actual trailer yet??

The absolute BEST thing people can do in response (like Fantastic 4) is to stick it to them where they measure success, which is their wallets.

I need to see this movie like I need 5 nipples.

Reboot, sequel, whatever.
I'm glad they are not trying to crap on (or erase & tread over) the old GB. But this doesn't look like the new chapter of GB that I wanted.

Sony, there was $12 (or even $24 or $36) in my wallet with your name on it, if you had done this right. You didn't.
I wanted something that felt like a cross between the first GB movie and the RGB cartoon. Try again next summer.

The Q&A Discussion paints a much different picture than everything I have been seeing. Did they not release the actual trailer yet??

Out of curiosity, how so? I didn't watch the whole thing, just Feig's brief comments about how the film "references" the old ones, but does so "out of respect" instead of, you know, out of a sense of creative bankruptcy.

Wow... Some fan did a re-edit and made this look a lot better than the one Sony put out. Less is more......

[video]/www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDXpOX0Cp0[/video]

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back