Age of Ultron Captain America shield handles

I think the gist of this contraption is to make all the quick-connects Cap seems to make with the shield more believable. Notice the back harness hasn't changed from TWS, so the idea of magnetic holders is just carrying over to the arm-mount.

The problem, of course, is that this is movie magic: there's no way to make non-powered magnets that small (or even magnets with a power supply which are that small) to hold up a traditional blank that weighs about 6.5kg as well as the straps Valor has made in the past.

I am completely in love with the pictures from the set. as someone who has been looking at magnetic solutions for the back harness for almost a year, I think it's a pipe dream to think you can get a magnet that will deliver 55kg pulling power with a surface area less than 25cm^2 which will then release the shield when you want to change hands or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Valor -- it's the Tony Stark solution, obviously. :)

I'm no Tony Stark :)

To be clear. I don't plan on tackling this. For a couple reason. First, the production process is a bit extreme for my shop. But secondly. I don't think I like it. I fell in love with the original bracket handle system. Such a simple, elegant solution. And totally practical. This new approach might grow on me. But not so far.

Valor I'm excited to see you tackle this project

As an alternative to the expensive and difficult process of trying to work these new grips in metal, not to mention the weight, could they maybe be made of vac-u-formed plastic forms, reinforced inside with fiberglass matting and resin?

Or, less Old School, how about 3-D printing them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using a very similar Handle and Magnet system with my proof-of-concept wonderflex shield for a while now... Really cool to see the possibility of it in the movie! I have been planning to 3D print an entire shield for some time... with these new images, looks like I might upgrade my model to the new version

I, for one, would be very interested to see photos and a description of your system if you wouldn't mind posting them, please.

Been using a very similar Handle and Magnet system with my proof-of-concept wonderflex shield for a while now... Really cool to see the possibility of it in the movie! I have been planning to 3D print an entire shield for some time... with these new images, looks like I might upgrade my model to the new version

Dunno if this helps any, but I started off by searchin for the largest images I could of the new Hot Toys Cap figure for AoU that showed the two segments of the shield brackets with the new retention points. Here theyare:

AoU - Cap - Hot Toys figure - SHIELD - view of each retention section.jpg

Then I separated them and rotated them and stuck them down on a generic image of a Cap shield interior and produced this.

CA-AuO - shield new brackets.jpg

Best I could do for now until some better source material comes along.

If you look closely at the back of the shield from the photo, you'll see that the forearm section has something that resembles a beer bottle opener. If we start to look at the forearm connector as more of a clip that slides into the forearm piece (Almost like a beer bottle opener), that might be more the direction that the reality of the shield attaching? He still is using the handle that folds out. And it looks like the shield can be left-handed, or right-handed since both handles pop out from behind the shield.

I was also thinking if it were a rubber shield, the weight would not be too great so what about creating a small electromagnet in the forearms? I know the battery would die relatively briefly, but we all try to carry our shield on our backs most of the time anyway, yeah?

Last edited:
Hey all, great work so far. .... I've already been working on this... a few items from me personally

1) I've always prefered a hard mount handle (at least the grip part) over the leather strap. Having used shields in stage combat and sparring combat, a hard mount grip over a leather strap provides so much more control. My personal shields usually have a hard mount grip like below.
DSC00438.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

The bulk of the new design is kinda silly... if that were real, it would weigh a ton. So I'm doing my own version of the folding hard mount grip that isn't so crazy bulky

For the forearm side, I think I make the blue forearm strap like the actual prop shield uses. Again, alot less bulky

I think Tony tries to help Steve out and makes a new harness for him. He can either use the magnets, or the handle and strap system (maybe that blue strap pops out of one of those bulky new pieces??)

Like Valor mentioned, if it's just magnets.. then how would steve use the shield when he's in plain clothes? I don't think it's just magnets only.

I like this... mainly because I'm tired of doing my leather straps... lol...

There's a good view of the gauntlets in the latest TV spot. They way the shield LEAPS onto his arm make me think it's supposed to be more than simple magnets.

Attachments

• arm.jpg
    arm.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 236
Another attempt at it. Perhaps sharper, with more detail, but don't go at all by my color fathfulness. I was bringing it up from a very muddy dark original.

GLOVES - PS.jpg

Very interesting Up until the TV spot image, the "clips" on his wrist and forearm had been empty. Leading me to believe they were clips that hooked into a protruding part of the new shield system. Here it looks like there is clearly a small hexagonal piece in the clips. They even seem to be glowing slightly. Magnets? Stark Technology? Coolness?

Another attempt at it. Perhaps sharper, with more detail, but don't go at all by my color fathfulness. I was bringing it up from a very muddy dark original.

View attachment 453829

Someone mentioned in this thread or another about using bicycle pedal type clips. Being a cyclist myself and knowing how easy and sturdy spd clips are, I really believe that's how this shield is supposed to function. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ngSBfLgKhA go to about 3:46 to see the mechanics. The shield looks to use the same principle.

The design also looks to be ambidextrous with the appropriate handle folding out depending on whether you are left or right handed and minimally the forearm section "clipping in" for stabilization.

EDIT: Maybe the one on the back of the hand is for quick acquisition and the handle is meant to fold out if you want a more solid control of the shield

If anyone, like me, is better at adapting existing items than building from scratch, these handles might be of interest. The company has locations around the world.

This is the best approximation I've found so far in a recessed, hinged, aluminum handle that might be used to approximate the hand grip handle on Cap's new bracket system.

handle - flip up hinged aluminum - larger handle - essentracomponents.co.zahinged-recessed-handl.jpghandle - flip up hinged aluminum - essentracomponents.co.zahinged-recessed-handles.jpg

http://www.essentracomponents.co.za/hinged-recessed-handles

Here's the shield, for reference, or, well, at least the best view I've got of the shield mechanism and handle, stowed and in use.

AoU - Cap - SHIELD back NEW HANDLES - PS for clarity.jpgAoU - Cap - Hot Toys - shield folding handle.jpg

I realize the legs of the handles I found are 90 degrees, but the ones on the shield are obtuse. I hope to find better, but these were good enough I thought I'd bring it to the group's attention.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back