Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Friends who were working on the show confirm that the rumors in that video are all true, though with a twist. The blame has been swapped, because the source of the info leak is connected to Fuller.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, confirmed that the aliens in the leaked photo are the new klingons.

yep, it's doomed.

at this point i can't see this thing even making air if the fans already hate it and the brass isn't smart enough to know you don't change what works.

This comment reminded me of a Bruce Sterling book in which the spaceships had moss for carpeting and lichen on the walls and ceiling so the ship could produce it's own oxygen without mechanical life-support systems.

Why are we beating Star Trek to death when there's authors like Bruce Sterling and Peter F. Hamilton that have brought so much AMAZING and game-changing new stuff to the science fiction table that would blow people's minds? Does Hollywood live in a weird parallel universe where books don't exist, only old TV shows?
Occasionally Hollywood will pull off a "The Martian" or "The Expanse", but usually when a movie or show is based on a book they will summarize the book to two or three sentences and then fill in the rest of the story themselves.

I know Roddenberry was behind the Klingons getting ridges and bad teeth in The Motion Picture, but these will always be my Klingons.
TOS-day_of_the_dove_klingons.png

I Like the ridges and I like how Enterprise dealt with it. This could be related to that, OR maybe these Klingons are genetically engineered hence their appearance. I'm not going to Pooh Pooh anything yet, it's way too early. You guys remind me of my friend who adored the Original BSG, hated the miniseries, refused to watch the new series until about a dozen episodes in when I got enough rum in him to get him to watch "33" then he was hooked big time. If it stinks you can gloat to your hearts content. My thing is that for the longest time, Trek had things going on and Star Wars was 3 movies and a bunch of crappy books. Then things flipped. I'm glad Something Trek is at least being attempted.

how many reboot projects and other revivals have we seen where things have constantly failed to live up to expectations? even when we thought they could be good?

star wars, star trek. ghostbusters. turtles. far too many disappointments in the last few years to mention.

i have zero faith in hollywood knowing what to do with older properties. people are too eager to change things. and most of the time, people who get these cherished properties are folks who could really give two flying flips less about the legacy.

les moonves seems to be one of those people. the next paul feig. it would seem in regards to destroying a beloved property.

so, I would say in this case, the naysayers have a right to be worried based on past property revivals.

it's not that hard to get something so simple right. don't change what works...and if the scripts are good....fans will follow :). it really can't be simpler.

if a property is going to be bastardized, i'd rather have it stay dead

Wow...I never considered Harry Mudd to be a "villain". Considering how far along they are with filming, I suppose a one or two episode arc, maybe more if the series last.

Well, if Discovery is supposed to be set in a time between Enterprise and TOS, in order to have Harry Mudd be in this, (who is a human), it must be very much closer in time to TOS than to Enterprise. Hmmmm.

Good point. I wonder how old this version of Mudd is supposed to be. I believe the original (Roger Carmel), was in his thirties, and Mudd could have passed for (30's-upper 40's). Rain Wilson is already much older than the original actor, and looks it too.

Sarek makes sense, but this one will be a stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is a good preview of what the Paramount streaming service is it'll be dead in a year even at 5.00 a month.

MUDD: Oh, no, no, no. Merely deserted. You see, gentlemen, behind every great man there is a woman urging him on. And so it was with my Stella. She urged me on into outer space. Not that she meant to, but with her continual, eternal, confounded nagging. Well, I think of her constantly, and every time I do, I go further out into space.

Lol...I think Kathy Griffin would be excellent for the part.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back