Deep Space 9

Another powerful Episode that demonstrates the range of that series was "The Visitor" Tony Todd gave an outstanding performance and it was nice to see Andy "Garak" Robinsons daughter get a decent part on the Show

Another powerful Episode that demonstrates the range of that series was "The Visitor" Tony Todd gave an outstanding performance and it was nice to see Andy "Garak" Robinsons daughter get a decent part on the Show

Apollo, I agree with your sentiments on DS9. There are some stellar Trek episodes on DS9, and many truly excellent episodes and characters. I agree, The Visitor , Trials and Tribulations, and It's Only a Paper Moon, are just Brilliant pieces of TV. I really loved some of the characters on that show. Garak and Vic Fontaine are wonderfully interesting, Quark, Nog and The Grand Nagus are so entertaining as well as all the tongue-in-cheek Ferengi relationships. I love the episodes with Quark and Grilka! There are some excellent Klingon cultural exploration episodes in this show. The Father/son relationship between Sisko and Jake is one of the most beautifully portrayed on TV. The growing friendship between Bashir and O'Brien is good, and the episodes with Section 31 I really loved also. There are lots more gems.

It really gets more interesting into season 4 and thereafter. So give it more time. Don't cheat yourself out of the best seasons of that show by tuning out. It's not all great, that's true. But not many shows are. The more you watch it though, the more you'll like it.

Last edited:
@The Wook : I know what you mean but I assure you you will miss out some brilliant scifi if you skip the show. You may choose to watch the Season 4 premiere "Way of the Warrior" next in order to see what is lying ahead (granted, there will be some story elements you might not understand yet because these are developed in the episodes before, but you will see a huge improvement over the earlier episodes). Then you may switch back and see the other eps in the correct order. :)

Like a fellow member already said, DS9 was some sort of a playground for Ron D. Moore to test ideas and to create a realistic interpretation of "Star Trek" and what might happen AFTER new life forms have been encountered. The exact same formula applies to the New "Battlestar Galactica" which perfected the portrayal of a realistic space drama and which assembled the same crew behind the camera (including the magnificent Gary Hutzel and Doug Drexler at the VFX helm). :)

BTW, just for the record, there is and will be NOTHING that has the same impact as "The Best of Both Worlds" from TNG. This is my all-time favourite episode of a TV show EVER. Up to now I have never ever seen anything that was better than that. Some came very close (Voyager: Dark Frontier) but NOTHING has captured the thrill, tension and nail-biting experience of this episode. It has a special place in my heart and should be preserved forever. So maybe the opening sequence of "Emissary" made me a bit prejudiced regarding the pilot episode of DS9 (heck, THAT was the battle I wanted to see for years!)... :$

Like a fellow member already said, DS9 was some sort of a playground for Ron D. Moore to test ideas and to create a realistic interpretation of "Star Trek" and what might happen AFTER new life forms have been encountered. The exact same formula applies to the New "Battlestar Galactica" which perfected the portrayal of a realistic space drama and which assembled the same crew behind the camera (including the magnificent Gary Hutzel and Doug Drexler at the VFX helm). :)

That pretty much explains why I hate DS9, I happen to detest anything that Moore had a hand in.

Wook, To elaborate a bit on what I said before: I watched it when it first aired and honestly, by mid season one, I agreed with all of what you said and actually stopped watching. But I came back around season 3 or 4 and was very glad.

If you get too bored, just skip ahead.

The thing is, I was struck a bit by what you said because I remember thinking the same things originally: Dax was hot but dull. Kira was a walking cliche. Bashir was a terrible actor, OBrien was dull, Quark was interesting but annoying, and Odo was decent. (One of the only actors who was already well established prior to DS9). Also, I couldn't see how Avery Brooks managed to get cast. He stank up the room every time he tried to act.

the things is, not only did the writers grow into the show the actors did as well. Nana Visitor especially grew into the part of Kira so well that she's now one of my all time favorite Trek actors. The Bashir/O'Brien relationship ended up being an absolutely beautiful story arc. Quark/Odo relationship also gave a whole new depth that trek never had previously with a bit of cat and mouse play, and Avery Brooks grew by leaps and bounds as an actor, eventually (in my opinion) becoming almost as strong a character as Picard, but with a bad boy streak that Picard could never reach. (If you want to just watch "in the Pale Moonlight" you'll see Sisko go to a dark place that Picard could never reach in a breathtaking ends-justify-the-means story, it's season 6, but if you're giving up on it anyway, go ahead and skip ahead). Ultimately, I came to love him as an actor. By the end, he brought a believable quality to the captains chair that even Patrick Stewart lacked.

Honestly, by the end DS9 becomes an incredible story arc that you'll find well worth your time.

Last edited:
Wook, To elaborate a bit on what I said before: I watched it when it first aired and honestly, by mid season one, I agreed with all of what you said and actually stopped watching. But I came back around season 3 or 4 and was very glad.

If you get too bored, just skip ahead. Sisko makes captain. DuKat is always a bad guy, and the Dominion are really powerful from the gamma quadrant. Their leaders are shapeshifters. There. You are caught up.

The thing is, I was struck a bit by what you said because I remember thinking the same things originally: Dax was hot but dull. Kira was a walking cliche. Bashir was a terrible actor, OBrien was dull, Quark was interesting but annoying, and Odo was decent. (One of the only actors who was already well established prior to DS9). Also, I couldn't see how Avery Brooks managed to get cast. He stank up the room every time he tried to act.

the things is, not only did the writers grow into the show the actors did as well. Nana Visitor especially grew into the part of Kira so well that she's now one of my all time favorite Trek actors. The Bashir/O'Brien relationship ended up being an absolutely beautiful story arc. Quark/Odo relationship also gave a whole new depth that trek never had previously with a bit of cat and mouse play, and Avery Brooks grew by leaps and bounds as an actor, eventually (in my opinion) becoming almost as strong a character as Picard, but with a bad boy streak that Picard could never reach. (If you want to just watch "in the Pale Moonlight" you'll see Sisko go to a dark place that Picard could never reach in a breathtaking ends-justify-the-means story, it's season 6, but if you're giving up on it anyway, go ahead and skip ahead). Ultimately, I came to love him as an actor. By the end, he brought a believable quality to the captains chair that even Patrick Stewart lacked.

Honestly, by the end DS9 becomes an incredible story arc that you'll find well worth your time.

I couldn't read your whole post because you started offering up spoilers--something I'd said in my post that I didn't want. Maybe you could re-post without the spoilers.

You're three episodes away from "Move Along Home", and since that could have you giving up altogether, just skip it.

(Hopscotch, DS9 writers? Really?)

Lol...well, I may still watch it, in case there's a good shot of the beauteous booty background babe. I'm on Episode 7 now, the one where Sisko is arguing before a judge that the 28-year old Dax is not responsible for a murder her symbiant committed 30 years ago. It's the first remotely interesting episode I've seen. But only remotely. Still...better than the previous six.

I'll try to keep going. I am not one for jumping ahead. I tried doing that with Voyager, skipping ahead to the first episode in which 7 of 9 appeared, to begin the series there. But 15 episodes later, I was so in love with Janeway, and to a lesser extent, B'elanna, that I went back to the very beginning of the series, and watched it all the way through. I don't want to make the same mistake with DS9.

The Wook

I know that experience. The new "Doctor Who" has not been very well received here in Germany. Its popularity pales in comparison to "Star Trek", "Star Wars" and "Galactica". I first saw it starting with season 5 (Matt Smith's first) - last year. I got hooked with the Wheeping Angels episode and decided to watch the previous seasons starring David Tennant. I started with - season 4, continued with season 1, skipped to mid season 3 and consumed the other episodes. :D Then I decided to watch everything in the right order and started again with season 1. :)

OK, with DS9 there is ONE episode in particular called "If Wishes were Horses"... AHEM...... That's a real tough episode. I don't want to spoil anything, but do you remember "Shgoratchx" from "Buck Rogers"? Holy moly, both seem to share the same vibes...! :D ;) :)

B'elanna is where it is at.

she got screwed when 7 of boobs joined. so did everyone else. another reason to not like braga.

I liked the character, but it was dumb because she wasn't just given a regular uniform. It was like some male officer said "So... you're going to have to wear this." 7: "That's not regulation Starfleet". Officer: "Um... you have to wear this because of... Borg stuff...". :lol

I liked the character, but it was dumb because she wasn't just given a regular uniform. It was like some male officer said "So... you're going to have to wear this." 7: "That's not regulation Starfleet". Officer: "Um... you have to wear this because of... Borg stuff...". :lol

well, she wasn't a crew member. so apparently since no fat people exist in the future, they all have to wear skimpy outfits :)

It was the Doctor who designed 7's outfits. He's a man (not even a man...a hologram), guided only by the welfare of his patients. His sartorial choices for 7 were designed for the sole purpose of fostering her nascent sense of individuality.

I, for one, am eternally grateful to him.

The Wook

Lol...well, I may still watch it, in case there's a good shot of the beauteous booty background babe. I'm on Episode 7 now, the one where Sisko is arguing before a judge that the 28-year old Dax is not responsible for a murder her symbiant committed 30 years ago. It's the first remotely interesting episode I've seen. But only remotely. Still...better than the previous six.

I'll try to keep going. I am not one for jumping ahead. I tried doing that with Voyager, skipping ahead to the first episode in which 7 of 9 appeared, to begin the series there. But 15 episodes later, I was so in love with Janeway, and to a lesser extent, B'elanna, that I went back to the very beginning of the series, and watched it all the way through. I don't want to make the same mistake with DS9.

The Wook

DS9 does start off a little rough but it definitely picks up after the first season or two. There's more character development on DS9 than there ever was on TNG and the recurring characters are (at times) almost as good and sometimes better than the main cast. And even though Q only shows up once during the show's run it's a great episode with a great one liner by Q.

DS9 does start off a little rough but it definitely picks up after the first season or two. There's more character development on DS9 than there ever was on TNG and the recurring characters are (at times) almost as good and sometimes better than the main cast. And even though Q only shows up once during the show's run it's a great episode with a great one liner by Q.

I'm not a fan of Q. The character, or the actor. But I did see his episode on DS9, and he was better than he was on Voyager, for example. What was the one liner?

The Wook

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back