Percival Grave's costume from Fantastic Beasts

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I like Percival's outfit, so we (my wife and I) are working on creating one.
attachment.png

He surely must be cold because it looks like he's wearing:
a large collar white dress shirt complete with collar bar*
a black tie with white accents
a vest with a white pique lining
a suit coat with red piping
an overcoat with white piping and lining
a gray basket weave scarf with gray fringe
dress pants
black boots
attachment.jpg

attachment.png

*One of the first things I notice was the collar bar with what looked to be some kind of black fringe. After staring at it for a while, I slowly came to believe that the fringe was actually a pair of scorpions.
attachment.jpg

At DragonCon I found a pair of silver scorpion charms which I painted black and wired to the silver collar bar I got off of eBay.
attachment.jpg

Then yesterday I captured the best image yet and now I'm positive they're scorpions.
attachment.png

The basket weave scarf I found now appears to be less than 100% screen accurate, but it's close enough for me. I did have to add a fringe to it.
attachment.jpg

I have many other captured images of Percival which I can post if there's interest. Also need to post some pictures of the completed pants, vest and overcoat.

ATL

Attachments

• 1 PG 4.PNG
    1 PG 4.PNG
    203 KB · Views: 5,028
  • 7 adding fring to scarf.jpg
    7 adding fring to scarf.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 3,150
  • 6 Percival mug shot 9-28.png
    6 Percival mug shot 9-28.png
    439.9 KB · Views: 3,814
  • 5 collar bar.jpg
    5 collar bar.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 3,161
  • 4 scorpion.jpg
    4 scorpion.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3,279
  • 3 Percival coat back 2.png
    3 Percival coat back 2.png
    331.8 KB · Views: 3,178
  • 2 percival scarf.jpg
    2 percival scarf.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3,628
Wore my Percival Graves outfit to the premier last night. The movie is fantastic!!! I had many more folks admiring the costume after the movie... :)

ATL

edit - Still wondering what the significance of the scorpions might be??

Last edited:
Here's the finished costume which was actually pretty much finished back in late September. Now that the movie is out, there are probably a few notable discrepancies, but since, in all likelihood, Percival won't be in any future films, the costume will stay the way it is. We have since added the white "over-vest".
attachment.php

:) I believe I look more like Percival Graves than Collin Farrell.

ATL

Attachments

• 8 finished costume.jpg
    8 finished costume.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,905
Wow, you look WONDERFUL! Great job indeed!

Thanks PotionMistress :)

So there's this fashion accessory that Percival has:
attachment.jpg

After finding a descent resolution image, I figured the necklace part was some sort of braided leather cord. Also realized that since the braid wraps through the DH symbol, I'd have to braid it myself. :wacko

I found this 1mm dark brown leather cord at Hobby Lobby. There are several YouTube videos on how to do a 4-strand braid, problem is is that they all seem to use 2 different colors cords which helps immensely. So after watching one of the videos frame by frame and starting over a dozen times, I finally got the hang of it:
attachment.jpg

The bits of blue tape helped distinguish the different strands which were something like 6 feet long each(before I started braiding).

9 DH symbol on braid.jpg

10 DH and the 4 strand braid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa! This is brilliant! Excellent work! You certainly give Colin a run for his money looking like Graves.

Did you make the coat yourself? I just saw the movie again tonight and I finally noticed the way the sleeves are done. I wanted to cosplay him before, but that coat is too gorgeous to not own to just wear anyway.

Hi OhMyStarLord,

My wife does all the sewing machine work. :) She used a McCall's pattern M7374 for the coat, and added a collar from Butterick B6103 which she had to enlarge (I believe she called it a shawl collar?). I can remember the words that were flying as she tried to figure out how to do the white piping on the sleeves.:rolleyes

ATL

OhMyStarLord,

For my costume, the lining of the coat was what my wife called imitation satin:
attachment.php

For the "overvest" she used a white pique:
attachment.php

Which I like a lot.

However, after we watched the movie (twice), she thinking both the lining and the vest are corduroy or corduroy-like material probably wool. :) Probably need to go see the movie again to be sure.:lol

ATL

Attachments

• 12 Pique.jpg
    12 Pique.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 3,501
  • 11 coat lining.jpg
    11 coat lining.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 3,544
Now from ThinkGeek, the Fantastic Beasts Percival Tie and Pin Set - Exclusive. Although I already had a tie, I wanted the more accurate bar, so I ordered the set. Since they shipped it in a plastic bag, both scorpion tails were broke off.
attachment.php

I called ThinkGeek, and they promptly replaced the set and did not require the first to be returned. Of course, the second set was also packaged in a plastic bag. :(, but it survived.

One note, the "gems" in this reproduction are a vivid emerald green. After some searching, I found some aqua colored 4mm square stones and I'm going try and replace the ones on the bar.

As for the tie, it's close but not 100%. I don't believe the "spots" are accurate. I'll post a comparison picture soon with a tie I'd gotten off of eBay.

ATL

Attachments

• IMG_20161129_065939438.jpg
    IMG_20161129_065939438.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3,480
attachment.php

The tie on the left I got off of eBay (Pierre Cardin), the tie on the right is the one from Think Geek which is much wider and probably more 1920ish. I don't believe the "spots" on either one are 100% screen accurate, but for cosplay, they'll work.

ATL

Attachments

• DSCN6334.JPG
    DSCN6334.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 3,342
IMG_20161209_191956.jpg

So last night I had the cheapest go ever at Graves. I found out about the Barnes and Noble event on Tuesday, I had a coat I deemed acceptable and his wand so I went for it. I got the Think Geek tie and the pins from Amazon so they got here in time, the rest was just stuff I had and a thrift store purchase of a white vest to rip the collar off of and pin to my vest, but overall I'm pleased. Also my hair was already cut like that so I just threw in some bleach and black dye I had already. People kept asking if I was in transition between Graves and Grindelwald, might try to play more into that next time I do the costume.

I did also had to just take apart the tie pin so it would stay on my collar, it was the last thing to come in so I couldn't do much more, but how on earth is that meant to stay on my collar? Have you tried it out yet,

Had the opportunity to examine these costumes up close at the Warner Bros. lot today. Thought I'd jump in for reference materials. :)

15450983_10154356050739833_1949221855_n.jpgDSCN3808.JPG15451253_10154356023799833_1305087554_n.jpgIMG_3158.JPG15451192_10154356045289833_725113077_n.jpg15401433_10154356048559833_1017705967_n.jpg15356094_10154356046009833_1940090671_n.jpg

The outfit is 5 layers and a scarf. The shirt is a white-on-white jacquard cotton. The under-waistcoat (a separate piece from the main waistcoat) is a white... silk? The waistcoat is a black silk twill with covered buttons in the same fabric. The suit coat is a textured silk fabric with covered buttons in the same fabric, trimmed with a red cord instead of piping. The overcoat is a long-haired cashmere/Lurex. The sleeves have a long vent lined with the same fabric as the under-waistcoat, and where the seam begins, a little bit of that lining fabric pokes through, which is what makes that white line. At the armpit, the sleeve is attached to a stretchy fabric, probably for ease of use. The scarf is a dark, desaturated navy blue silk.

The tie looks like a plain black silk tie with the design painted on manually by the costume department. The scorpion collar clips are just as badass in real life as you'd expect. The pants are made of the same black silk as the waistcoat. The boots were custom - good luck finding something close. The gaiters are leather and pretty thick.

Happy to answer any questions :)

Last edited:
So last night I had the cheapest go ever at Graves. I found out about the Barnes and Noble event on Tuesday, I had a coat I deemed acceptable and his wand so I went for it. I got the Think Geek tie and the pins from Amazon so they got here in time, the rest was just stuff I had and a thrift store purchase of a white vest to rip the collar off of and pin to my vest, but overall I'm pleased. Also my hair was already cut like that so I just threw in some bleach and black dye I had already. People kept asking if I was in transition between Graves and Grindelwald, might try to play more into that next time I do the costume.

I did also had to just take apart the tie pin so it would stay on my collar, it was the last thing to come in so I couldn't do much more, but how on earth is that meant to stay on my collar? Have you tried it out yet,

I wish I would have heeded your warning. The scorpion collar clip is not made correctly. I couldn't get it to stay on either. I had better success after I opened up one of the rings and inserted a safety pin as an additional link but still had problems with it.

Here's the Graves costume:
attachment.php

And a variation:
attachment.php

My wife and I actually won the costuming contest the next day but we were wearing Snape and McGonagall.

ATL

Attachments

• 13 at Celebration.jpg
    13 at Celebration.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 2,681
  • 14 grindewald.jpg
    14 grindewald.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,845
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back