Captain America: TFA "Lucky Star Cab Company" taxi car door build / costume

I love this build. Ingenious, creative use of materials, and original. And the final product looks fantastic! And spot on accurate!

One of the best things about taking a piece like this to a con...NOBODY else will have one. Really love your final result. :)

Ah, thanks, guys! It was definitely a fun project, and a good learning experience, too.

To finish up the thread, I got some shots of the fully assembled and weathered door.

cadoor-finished-1a.jpg

The "metal" trim around the window is just craft foam, sealed and rub-n-buffed.

cadoor-finished-1b.jpg

The trim that runs between the window and the body of the door is one of those niggling irritants - it's supposed to be a double band, but I ran out of time and had to use some single that I could grab quickly.

cadoor-finished-1d.jpg

Some random spray-painted bits from the junk box, bits of dowel, and a few thumbtacks add some realism to the edge of the panel.

cadoor-finished-1c.jpg

Bulletholes, whee!

cadoor-finished-1e.jpg

I love weathering.

cadoor-finished-1h.jpg

And I forgot to take any assembly picttures of the hinges, but they're basically boxes built out of cardboard with a bit of wooden dowel hotglued inside.

cadoor-finished-1f.jpg

cadoor-finished-1g.jpg

But here's the one thing I really hate about this project. You remember how I said that being in a rush came back to bite me? Well, here's how. It turned out that the paper mache and gesso hadn't completely dried back when I was in my sanding stage. So while it was perfectly smooth at that point, over the next week it gradually dried and shrank and distorted, and the end result is the wrinkles that you see here:

cadoor-finished-1i.jpg

ARGH.

Don't let this deter anyone from using the paper mache and gesso method, though! Apart from that issue, I was really pleased with how it worked. Just don't be in a rush like me. If I'd been able to give it enough time to dry before sanding, those wrinkles would never have happened.

And very last, a few in-costume shots!

The costume itself was really simple, just some too-small pants and a shirt, though I did try to be as close to the screen as possible within the limits of my local thrift store. ;) I went with a femme-version, because there is NO WAY for me to convincingly look like Chris Evans. In that spirit, I did the thing properly and bought a 40s-style bra specifically for this costume. I painted some flipflops fleshtone for the barefoot look. There is no way I can get my hair under a cropped wig, and I had no time to learn a 40s hairstyle that would work with Rapunzel levels of hair, so I just wore it in a braid on the theory that maybe the serum affects hair length, too.

Reactions were fun! This honestly doesn't count as an obscure costume in my books (It was on the big screen! Most of my "obscure" costumes were burnt by the BBC.) but it took a lot of folks a while to figure it out, and it was fun to see the wheels turning. I actually had people come up a half-hour later because they FINALLY figured out what it was. So funny.

Also, it is TOTALLY worthwhile to travel with a car door in your back seat just for the reactions from random muggles.

cadoor-costume-1a.jpg

(Photo by Ashley H)

I was delighted to run into a femme Winter Soldier!

cadoor-costume-1b.jpg

(Photo by Ashley H)

cadoor-costume-1c.jpg

(Photo by Ashley H)

That's all, folks! Thank you for looking at this build!

How fun and cool you are! I love how it's extremely realistic looking and yet so light that you look SUPER strong holding it there at ease!

I love this build. I do have a couple of questions tho, Just know that I am very inspired to build my own version of the day (unless you want to get rid of yours:), I like the idea of a full size door and I I want to do as close to yours as possible. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1-What were the dimensions of the door at this full scale?
2-What was the purpose of the wieght on top of the different sections? Was it to compress the styrofoam?
3-Once you did the paper mache and then waited and applied the gesso, how long do you have to wait after each application to dry?

Thank you again for making such a great piece. It truly is unique.

Im curious, what was the reason for compressing the styrofoam boards? Was it because of the glue she used? I love using my hot glue gun but I dont know what the effect would be once I start doing cutting/shaving and sanding? If anyone has any advice, please lmk. I love this build and I want to make one. I am currently getting all the parts together. Thank you again for such an incredibly creative prop and costume. A+ across the board.

Im curious, what was the reason for compressing the styrofoam boards? Was it because of the glue she used? I love using my hot glue gun but I dont know what the effect would be once I start doing cutting/shaving and sanding? If anyone has any advice, please lmk. I love this build and I want to make one. I am currently getting all the parts together. Thank you again for such an incredibly creative prop and costume. A+ across the board.

I'm pretty sure it was to make sure that the layers of foam were fully glued together. sheets of foam like those can warp a little sometimes. if you didn't add weight there can be pockets in between.
You're better off not using hot glue for something like this in my experience. It's much harder to cut through than the foam and if you're trying to carve out nice smooth curves like on this it can be a pain.

This is just absolutely fantastic! i love seeing such attention to detail to such a fun part of the original film, i applaud you on this build!!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back