Steven Spielberg's The BFG (Post-release)

Re: Steven Spielberg's The BFG

I don't know how I feel about this. Seeing the Giants is bringing back way too many "Jack the Giant Slayer" memories.

I won't lie.
Both trailers have me misty-eyed.
And I haven't even read the book.

Big Friendly Giant.

The kid is a girl.

Saw the cartoon a few months ago - it was a bit long, but an okay movie. It could probably have been edited a bit for pacing as it was a little slow. Definitely a slight bit scary. Just hope they keep the fart song.

Wish they would have taken a more creative route towards bringing the BFG and the other giants to life on screen. This has the same weightless rubbery look as movies like Alice in Wonderland, the Lovely Bones, Pan, etc. May as well have just gone full animation and made the girl GC too. I wish they would have looked at this property as if they were making it in the 80s, used miniatures and forced perspective/compositing, had a real actor in makeup as the BFG, and actually make these "magical" worlds tangible. We've seen this all before, no one wonders "wow how did they do that". I will always give major props to the actual artists who animate this stuff, but I still don't appreciate the overuse and over reliance on it.

Wish they would have taken a more creative route towards bringing the BFG and the other giants to life on screen. This has the same weightless rubbery look as movies like Alice in Wonderland, the Lovely Bones, Pan, etc. May as well have just gone full animation and made the girl GC too. I wish they would have looked at this property as if they were making it in the 80s, used miniatures and forced perspective/compositing, had a real actor in makeup as the BFG, and actually make these "magical" worlds tangible. We've seen this all before, no one wonders "wow how did they do that". I will always give major props to the actual artists who animate this stuff, but I still don't appreciate the overuse and over reliance on it.

So it was pretty bad, huh? :(

There was a considerable amount of physical sets and props (including forced perspctive and miniatures) built for this film, you just don't realize it.

There was a considerable amount of physical sets and props (including forced perspctive and miniatures) built for this film, you just don't realize it.

honestly I was probably unfairly judging this movie, and was feeling a little bogged down by a lot of over usage of CGI in general when I first posted it. I still would have liked a real actor as the BFG, but I didn't mean to be so harsh towards it in particular.

honestly I was probably unfairly judging this movie, and was feeling a little bogged down by a lot of over usage of CGI in general when I first posted it. I still would have liked a real actor as the BFG, but I didn't mean to be so harsh towards it in particular.

I know how you feel, though in this case, Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies) used motion capture technology. The facial features of BFG were mapped off of his face, just aged and exaggerated.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back