GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

The trailer is certainly cut better than the first one, but the film just looks...I dunno...like an also-ran. It doesn't look particularly funny. It doesn't look particularly inspired. It just looks like, you know, any other movie.

Put it this way. The fact that Paul Feig's film is an officially licensed product doesn't change for me the impression that it's just a Ghostbuster's knockoff. Maybe I'll end up pleasantly surprised later, if I ever catch this on Netflix, but for now, still looks pretty mediocre.

For me, it's less the fact that it's women, per se, and more that it struck me as just more lazy marketing that probably meant a mediocre end product. It'd be no different for me if they'd led with "AND it's all WHITE DUDES!!!" as the big announcement.

Essentially, the reliance on demographics-based marketing FIRST rather than on the strength of the story and comedy -- REGARDLESS of the demographic in question -- is the problem. If the new Ghostbusters had been "ALL 420-friendly!" or "ALL Asian!" or "ALL Cat-owners!" my response would be the same: you're relying on something OTHER than the strength of your story/comedy to sell your film, and that tells me right off the bat that I should be suspect about how good that story/comedy really is.

It also didn't help that this was announced as a reboot. Again, all that told me was that this was basically just a cash-in on the superficial aspects of this film (the demographics of the main cast, the use of the brand itself with no connection to the original product, etc.) that did not bode well for the actual content of the film.

I agree with all of this completely. Adding in: ALL reboots have to overcome the wall of skepticism that comes from asking us to have faith in your creativity while you lift someone else's idea. The reboot wall can be overcome, but it is there. Always.

Unfortunately no one else will read what you wrote. Not one word. I know this because no one read it the last 50 times it was said. Most people will just skip over everything you wrote and come back with "Oh you just dont like girls!"

To be honest...I actually don't hate the new trailer either. The "thanks" joke landed for me. Most of the rest was a little silly, but I've enjoyed WAY sillier movies...I even like Adam Sandler movies. I'm the target demo for this kind of humor.

The problem is...at this point I've been so turned off by the idiot claims of "You're sexist if you don't like this" or "Girls have never been in movies before" claims that I'm not sure if I'm even ABLE to like this anymore. It's almost like it's had an ANTI-marketing campaign going around stirring up as much bad will as possible.

Re: whether people would read what I wrote...I mean, in the end....I don't actually care if they don't.

I'm up for having a discussion about the film, what I like about it, what I don't, and what my reservations are. If someone just wants to disregard everything I say and respond with "You're just sexist," I mean, at a certain point, hey, cool. You think that. You're wrong, but whatever. We're clearly no longer having a discussion and have transitioned to the phase where we merely shout our opinions back and forth at each other. Once I realize that's where the discussion has gone, I check out.

Although, to be fair, anyone I've told this to -- and I've told it to a decent number of folks -- has responded with "Yeah, that makes sense." But then, people who know me also have heard my (many) rants about how Hollywood increasingly relies on marketing to drive film production instead of and often at the expense of storytelling. They know my criticisms aren't about identity politics issues, but rather about laziness in filmmaking driven by people who don't seem to care about storytelling.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this movie really have enough space between references to the original Ghostbusters to fit in references to Jaws?

I loled. :lol

The problem is...at this point I've been so turned off by the idiot claims of "You're sexist if you don't like this" or "Girls have never been in movies before" claims that I'm not sure if I'm even ABLE to like this anymore. It's almost like it's had an ANTI-marketing campaign going around stirring up as much bad will as possible.

and like i said before, I'm STILL not convinced that's not sony's doing. Why else would EVERY SINGLE M EDIA OUTLET support this movie and have the same narrative you just listed in every single article, bashing the fans?

even the facebook groups. Not ONE OF THEM is against this movie. that's too much coincidence. I've never seen a support like that for any other movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Does this movie really have enough space between references to the original Ghostbusters to fit in references to Jaws?

I dunno, they added two new ones with that latest trailer. giant shandor building and mayor in office scene, anyone?

Movie looks great: ghost, comedy, proton packs, 4 ghostbusters saving New York from the paranormal.

I'm looking forward to it, a fresh take on one of my favorite movies. Awesome that they aren't just re-hashing the first movie and doing something different, but updating the jokes, effects, and references for the times and a new audience.

I bet young fans of this movie who have never heard of the first one (being born after 1984) will go back and discover the original. Hopefully not the sequel, that thing was a dumpster fire.

I'm looking forward to it, a fresh take on one of my favorite movies. Awesome that they aren't just re-hashing the first movie and doing something different, but updating the jokes, effects, and references for the times and a new audience

Aside from the gender flip and the dumbed - down comedy making it easily digestible for millenials, where's the "fresh"? It's pretty much the same basic plot and story, just minus the whit, charm, humor, and fun.

Aside from the gender flip and the dumbed - down comedy making it easily digestible for millenials, where's the "fresh"? It's pretty much the same basic plot and story, just minus the whit, charm, humor, and fun.

I tried to ignore that post...but how do you 'do something different by updating the jokes and effects?' if they are the same?
I guess no one saw the new shandor building with the same exact ghostbusters clouds..only this time it's green, and there's a beam shooting up at it. maybe that's the different part.

I guess once the movie actually comes out, and we get to watch the whole thing instead of arm-chairing from the trailers, then we'll know if your assessment is accurate or not.

I'm so grateful that I'm going to see this movie with an open mind and no pre-conceived notions. To me, it looks fun, and I'm excited to see it. But it very well could be horrible. I guess we'll all know soon enough. Good movie or bad movie, my world won't be effected either way. But it sounds like I've got a lot less invested in this movie than some, to me it's just a movie.

I'm a firm believer pre-judging the quality of a movie without seeing it only makes one look foolish. But, to each their own.

Eh, I'll give it a shot.
It won't be the same, but that doesn't mean it'll be horse crap.

go watch spy. I LIKED The trailer for that. it's literally unwatchable. unless you like modern comedies filled with about 250 F bombs. and about 3 C bombs.

sigh. even maurice lamarche reposted an article calling fans whiners. I'm educating people on all we've learned in the past year on why you should not support this dreck ;o). still love moe though. not one person in hollywood has stood against this. not one.
must be a union rule.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge Ghostbusters fan. Sure, I liked it but only the first film was worth watching imho) but I think the reason it worked it that it was a horror film with funny quips, rather than a comedy. Does that seem right?

So it would fit into the same genre as beetlejuice or army of darkness.

Whereas this is more like Scooby-Doo

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

And I do find the quips on this one funny, just not the obvious setups for jokes.

Although the "is it a race thing or a woman thing" is funny. The whole setup for it is embarassing

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Fair enough. But, I'm a firm believer in, "if it looks like shiite, and smells like shiite, then it's shiite." I don't need to taste it to find out. Unless Chuck Norris says otherwise.

What if it looks like shiite but smells like sunni?

Anyway, I think the "fresh" aspect is the ghost possession thing. Which is, legitimately, different. I mean, yeah, you can argue that it's not THAT different because Dana and Lewis were both possessed, but this is a little different from that, it seems. There are a LOT of callbacks to the original in the trailer, though, to the point where it leaves me wondering (1) why they had to throw out the old continuity to do this, and (2) why they bothered to do a new film at all other than the obvious cash-in angle?

it's not THAT different because Dana and Lewis were both possessed

And Ray, for a beat, in GB2. The only "original" thing I'm seeing here is the motorcycle, and let's face it - that's the kind of accessory they'd feature on The Real Ghostbusters to generate a new mid-level SKU in the toy line...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back