Educational thread! Lightsabers from found parts-cost and desirability.

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

Thought it would be good to hear some views about the costs for a found parts lightsaber. Obviously, im talking about the Obi, Luke and Vader sabers using JUST found parts. What is the cost breakdown for each? I know Graflex has shot up in price, that Obi Wan is near impossible and Vader is hard aswell but what about the add on parts,especially in the case of Obi Wan ANH. Tap handles, Grenades - what should someone who wanted it perfectly accurate expect to pay?

Also, I know a few offer replica parts - Korbanth, Roman, Russ etc but does this mean that demand is driven down for the real McCoy, and do you yourself accept replica over the real thing??? Obviously those guys save a lot of people a lot of grief and give them an identical replica anyway which is think is fantastic personally and shows that the hobby is working to bring new people in to the fold by being able to offer those replicas that are pretty much off limits as identical screen used found parts.

Be good to hear opinions on this.

lee

Original parts at this stage are pretty much next to impossible to find or astronomically priced. Or in most cases, like the Obi-Wan parts, both. The Graflex and it's OG parts are attainable (save for the t-track) but not cheap. Obi-Wan requires serious archeology skills to uncover, and again, not cheap if in the hands of somebody who knows what they are, and the MPPs seem to be dwindling in number. One hasn't shown up on eBay in ages. Those that do show up, again, not cheap.

I don't have exact numbers-- but google can fill you in on that.

For me it depends on the saber... I have no real love for the Vader MPP, so I was happy just using a heiland, or buying a replica down the road... That's not to say I wouldn't grab up an MPP for completion sake if the opportunity came up, but I'm not LOOKING for it.

Obi's I love more than any saber, so I wanted as authentic as I could find... and have done well. The only part I don't have is a female BP... I currently have a male one, which is still great though... And this really is the same for the Graflex - though I will likely buy up a replica for anything after TFA (unless prices drop - which they won't for a loooong time).

As for the pricing expecting to pay for Obi? I dunno. I lucked out on some parts, and had some good guys help me with the others (Teecrooz especially... Edraven). I think my final price is WAY less than the average collected parts.

I honestly wouldn't even know where to start for pricing a correct female balance pipe these days...

Not only do you have to find the correct engine type, which is neigh impossible, but then you have to hope for that it has the correct part or has been upgraded with the correct part and that can only be determined by disassembling the engine... :wacko

I think I saw a real Mk 1 Grenade section go in the JY once for $800.... but that was a while ago back when Graflexs were still sitting at $300, so I couldn't even imagine what they would be now

Parfaitelumiere I'm sure sold an incomplete Obi for €3.5k a few months back, if I recall it was a converted Male BP and replica booster section?
A couple of MPP's have shown up lately with incorrect shroud selling for around the £1k mark too.

Parfaitelumiere I'm sure sold an incomplete Obi for €3.5k a few months back, if I recall it was a converted Male BP and replica booster section?
A couple of MPP's have shown up lately with incorrect shroud selling for around the £1k mark too.

Actually Patrice sold off his female balance pipe in that package :eek

Personally I actually thought he undervalued it....

parfaitelumiere's whole OB1 was real parts except for the booster.

My figures, which seem to have doubled or tripled since I started tracking them a year and half ago:

AS Handwheel: In the Wild $20-100, from a SW person $250-550
Booster: In the Wild $150-1000, from a SW person $600-1000
Grenade: In the Wild $200-800, from a SW person $400-800
Graflex Clamp: In the Wild $50-150, from a SW person $120+
Female Balance Pipe: In the Wild $?, from a SW person <$3500
Exactra: In the Wild $50-200, from a SW person $75-150

As mentioned, all parts of this besides the Exactra and Graflex Clamp are pretty much impossible to find in the wild or for sale ever. And of course all of these figures are based on condition of the piece as well.

My figures, which seem to have doubled or tripled since I started tracking them a year and half ago:

As mentioned, all parts of this besides the Exactra and Graflex Clamp are pretty much impossible to find in the wild or for sale ever. And of course all of these figures are based on condition of the piece as well.

Remember seeing a grenade go for $1400... Think it was on an auction site maybe?

These do seem to be where the prices have leveled off. Many times money isn't the issue, it's actually finding the part that makes you crazy.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back