Cap shield help needed please!

BDBear

I'm working on two shields right now, both from the popular sled bases. One plastic, one steel. I've been putting off the steel one because I'm terrified of cutting off the rim. I don't like the idea of losing any of the diameter, and I'm a huge perfectionist, so pretty sure any cut I make with my jig won't be good enough, and i'd then always consider it a failure. However, just read about someone who filled the gap instead of taking off the rim. Has anyone here done that? Any tips?

Filling the gap and sanding to contour would work.
I just cut the rim and then filled the rope holes with JB Weld.
If you take your time it is easy enough to cut but the steel shield becomes super floppy with the now narrow edge.

I would try JB Weld for hole filling. But keep in mind if you are going to use the transparent Metalcast paints, you'll see the repair through the paint. I would bite the bullet and cut off the rim. C'mon, you know you want to do it.

I would try JB Weld for hole filling. But keep in mind if you are going to use the transparent Metalcast paints, you'll see the repair through the paint. I would bite the bullet and cut off the rim. C'mon, you know you want to do it.

Vile tempter! Yes, I sort of do want to. Also Valor, if you were curious, I used the jb weld on the plastic sled, works beautifully.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back