Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

i'm sorry I brought it up.. I just thought it was interesting! I'll know better next time....anyway, back to the main thread!

It's not that. It's that a lot of people reacted to something excerpted from an entire interview as if it were the entire statement, and a deliberate and high-publicity one, at that. It wasn't. I think the problem is that the echo chamber of the internet has magnified it into being on par with Feig's "new Ghostbusters, and guess what -- they're all women!" cart-before-the-horse announcement. JJ wasn't saying there were specific plan afoot to introduce a blatantly gay character. He was not saying the next film was going to be all homosexual characters. He did not say some of the characters were (or were not) going to turn out to be gay. He was just saying that, as the new content is being written, nothing's off the table. A far cry from how it's being presented.

Yes, sexual orientation matters to Star Wars. If Leia hadn't been hetero, we wouldn't have had Kylo Ren. At the very least. It's impacted things on a local and galactic scale from the get-go: Luke wanting to go find this beautiful princess, Anakin creeping on Padmé, Padmé eventually reciprocating, Leia falling for Han... How many people have died, gotten hurt, or gotten captured in Star Wars because someone had the hots for someone of the opposite gender?

Going forward, Phasma might turn out to be gay, but I don't think it would matter much for her, either way, as she seems to be all about the job and no time for such things. Finn seems to have been friend-zoned by Rey, and stuff that was almost in TFA (and will likely show up in VII) has Rey showing interest in Poe, and vice versa. Beyond that... *shrug* ...well, we'll just have to see.

I would assume LFL official. Which means the RPF's own TK-409, Chris Bartlett. And the astromech droid is likely LFL's. If not, then probably the RPF's own R2D2 Guy (I think that's his handle), aka Mike Senna.

You are correct on R2D2_GUY is Mike Senna -- but he isn't the only "R2-D2 Guy" who could have contributed. The head of the R2-D2/Astromech/Droid Builders' Club (who is named Guy) also lives in SoCal. LFL has many options to call on for the Oscars. :D

Moving on... Do we have anything new on who's in Episode VIII? Or what new characters are going to be showing up? There have been a few rumors, and some casting calls/screen tests talked about, but I haven't actually seen anything settled, and since filming's underway...

--Jonah

Last edited by a moderator:

You are correct on @R2D2_GUY is Mike Senna -- but he isn't the only "R2-D2 Guy" who could have contributed. The head of the R2-D2/Astromech/Droid Builders' Club (who is named Guy) also lives in SoCal. LFL has many options to call on for the Oscars. :D

--Jonah

Ah, that's how it works with LFL. :)

I thought there was a group of people who help run the R2 Builders Club, I may be mistaken.

Mike Senna

There is a Council, yes. I seem to recall you being on it, Mike. ;) My info is not the most current, though... In general, Guy is the one I see most often taking the role of The Voice of the Council. I don't know how much discussion goes on behind the scenes before he responds to one thing or another. Occasionally, I do see another Council member respond to something speaking ex cathedra for the club, but not often.

--Jonah

As for JJ's answer to the homosexuals in SW question. What did anyone expect him to say? It's not like he'd ever say NO to a question like that. Can you imagine if he did? They haven't even went that step with the Marvel movies or other films much at all. If there are elements involved, I doubt it's going to be any of the leads at this point. There are many SW movies planned, not just the episode #ed ones. JJ is not directing the next two, he is Exec Producer but everyone knows the director has more power of that kind of thing. JJ didn't even do it in his Star Trek films.

- - - Updated - - -

As for C-3PO in TFA, he was not spray painted. He's looked dull in the other films too. He looked like a cleaner-dull in this one, though. His joints have always had this rubbery look when he walked as seen where is hips join the pelvic area, all the costumes have flexed there like rubber enabling him to walk.

- - - Updated - - -

It was at the Oscars backstage.

Last edited:

So Daisy Ridley says Luke is "So cool" in EPVIII.

Ben

As for JJ's answer to the homosexuals in SW question. What did anyone expect him to say? It's not like he'd ever say NO to a question like that. Can you imagine if he did? They haven't even went that step with the Marvel movies or other films much at all. If there are elements involved, I doubt it's going to be any of the leads at this point. There are many SW movies planned, not just the episode #ed ones. JJ is not directing the next two, he is Exec Producer but everyone knows the director has more power of that kind of thing. JJ didn't even do it in his Star Trek films.

- - - Updated - - -

As for C-3PO in TFA, he was not spray painted. He's looked dull in the other films too. He looked like a cleaner-dull in this one, though. His joints have all ways had this rubbery look when he walked as seen where is hips join the pelvic area, all the costumes have flexed there like rubber enabling him to walk.

- - - Updated - - -

It was at the Oscars backstage.

I thought he didn't look so different than he did in ROTJ, minus the red arm obviously. He looked rather dull in a lot of the Endor scenes I thought.

I thought he didn't look so different than he did in ROTJ, minus the red arm obviously. He looked rather dull in a lot of the Endor scenes I thought.

It's all down to how they hide reflections of the crew, different films had different solutions

J

I just hope he doesn't include something that hurts the SW brand with youngsters. If it's highly objectionable, lots of kids will be left out of seeing this film. I do wish Hollywood would leave political commentary out of entertainment. SW has always been for everyone. I'd hate to see that change now. Don't exclude the kiddies just to include your political views. People of all lifestyles/colors/cultures have enjoyed Star Wars. Why tamper with something so cherished by all???

I just hope he doesn't include something that hurts the SW brand with youngsters. If it's highly objectionable, lots of kids will be left out of seeing this film. I do wish Hollywood would leave political commentary out of entertainment. SW has always been for everyone. I'd hate to see that change now. Don't exclude the kiddies just to include your political views. People of all lifestyles/colors/cultures have enjoyed Star Wars. Why tamper with something so cherished by all???

Oh, geez... it's right in front of you. You're dancing all around it and you don't even see it.
If it were a snake it would have bit you.

Has anyone brought up including anything inappropriate for kids??? I didn't realize that was on the table.

My kid loves modern family and star wars, so I can't imagine him being upset if there was a gay person in star wars.

Right, we've spent nearly 40 years talking about made up aliens and spaceships, but this is pointless.

It is in terms of Star Wars, because it has nothing to do with Star Wars at this time. If they introduce a character that's homosexual into the films then it's totally applicable, but this has nothing to do with anything other than a completely neutral comment made by one of the writers/ producers in an interview.

All this is right now is an opportunity for people on here to argue differing political agendas.

Back to Star Wars, please and thank you.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back