Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

looks fantastic sir. The incandescents would freak me out.......I would go with warm white LED bulbs. They give the same color light as the incandescent and none of the heat. Probably have to be replaced much less often as well. You'll find them in the hardware stores with all the other light bulbs.

Makes you wonder how the original didn't end up a molten lump of acrylic!

Makes you wonder how the original didn't end up a molten lump of acrylic!

You can see a fan in the background here, and Muren's hair blowing in the breeze. Must be for cooling.
Death_Star_1.jpg

There have been some wonderful builds on this site but as a single ,original ,one of a kind all guts n' glory project this one is difficult to beat. Those last three photos are truly brilliant and hugely evocative. I got the same kind of slight chill looking at them as I did when I saw that glimpse of the Death Star at the end of the "Rogue One" trailer. The finished paintwork and lighting looks an almost perfect match. Bravo.

At least 5'2". ;)

Were you able to have any meaningful conversation with him...?

- - - Updated - - -

There have been some wonderful builds on this site but as a single ,original ,one of a kind all guts n' glory project this one is difficult to beat. Those last three photos are truly brilliant and hugely evocative. I got the same kind of slight chill looking at them as I did when I saw that glimpse of the Death Star at the end of the "Rogue One" trailer. The finished paintwork and lighting looks an almost perfect match. Bravo.

Unbelievable patience/skill displayed in this this thread...result: very cool:cool

This thread has never been anything less than 100% inspiration. I almost wish you wouldn't finish it!

Humbling compliments - thanks guys...!

Would I bi fired if I made the trench lights (hanger bay openings) round instead of rectangular...?

I'm trying, and trying, but can't seem to find an efficient method of creating the more rectangular holes the original model had. If I could remove the paint (ALL the paint) from the back wall of the trench, then I'd create a new strip of plastic and add the holes in first then install this new strip.

I'm surious if the original model builders followed a similar method.

Yeah - they were better at this craft than I. But for the difficulty I've had, it couldn't have been much easer for them. Also, looking at the original today, the trench looks - well - weird. There is strip of bare plastic along the middle third of the trench back wall, and NO evidence of the original bay doors/holes. Combined with the fact that the upper "ceiling" pieces of the trench are now gone, it makes me wonder just what the hell happened, and how it looked originally (how it was originally built).

MD005.jpg

DS036.JPG

DS035.JPG

DS043.JPG

DS042.JPG

DS027.JPG

Have you tried making a thin brass template that fits the trench, then just scratching inside the little window? Just a thought. No idea if it would actually work.

Dave :)

Have you tried making a thin brass template that fits the trench, then just scratching inside the little window? Just a thought. No idea if it would actually work.

Dave :)

Yup - tried that. Found a little all-metal model of the Empire State Building with perfectly-sized windows. But just too small to really get a tool in there. But maybe I should give it another try.

This may sound obvious but have you tried precision flat tip screwdriver, sharpened to a chisel tip.
Put different thickness spacers for different heights as to scrape away small square sections, if that makes sense.
I'm not sure how thick the trench is but it would be tedious for sure.
If you mess up you could square off the ends with some small styrene bits, similar to tile details, I would think the trench would have some height value changes.
Just my 2 cents.

Could also make your own scrape tool using a straight pin stuck in a wooden dowel for a handle. Might fit the window. I know they have to be small.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back