The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

How much does he usually charge?

It depends on the amount of work being done.. All I know is that he is not my go to person when I want something finished to perfection. I would contact him and he can direct you to his website, where you can fill out a request for a quote. Due to licensing and such I do not want to share that information without his prior approval. I hope you understand.

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

How much does he usually charge?
Vin,

I completely understand your desire to want it done correctly and accurately. I also know the fear you have to mess things up permanently if you try yourself. I was there when I got my first blank.

I've looked into it before and there are three ways to achieve the anodized look.

1. Actually anodize the shield through an electrolyte bath.
2. Powder coat
3. Anodized Spray paint

Option 1 isn't possible because you can't anodize one piece different colors.

Option 2 is very expensive and as you say there is a risk of discoloration.

That leaves option 3. Auto body shops don't use anodized spray paint so you could buy the cans and ask them to spray it. Not sure what that would cost.

General Frosty does great work and not to disuade you from his services, but you should try painting it yourself.

I promise that short of dropping or scratching your shield up, you won't do any permanent damage. Bad paint jobs can be removed with citristrip, acetone, and time. Not to mention painting you're own shield is fun.

Buy a sheet of aluminum and practice spray painting it. When you get confident enough, paint just the blue inner circle of your blank, then move on to the red. After that you can take it to a body shop and have them clear coat the thing.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go with! [emoji1]

Vin,

I completely understand your desire to want it done correctly and accurately. I also know the fear you have to mess things up permanently if you try yourself. I was there when I got my first blank.

I've looked into it before and there are three ways to achieve the anodized look.

1. Actually anodize the shield through an electrolyte bath.
2. Powder coat
3. Anodized Spray paint

Option 1 isn't possible because you can't anodize one piece different colors.

Option 2 is very expensive and as you say there is a risk of discoloration.

That leaves option 3. Auto body shops don't use anodized spray paint so you could buy the cans and ask them to spray it. Not sure what that would cost.

General Frosty does great work and not to disuade you from his services, but you should try painting it yourself.

I promise that short of dropping or scratching your shield up, you won't do any permanent damage. Bad paint jobs can be removed with citristrip, acetone, and time. Not to mention painting you're own shield is fun.

Buy a sheet of aluminum and practice spray painting it. When you get confident enough, paint just the blue inner circle of your blank, then move on to the red. After that you can take it to a body shop and have them clear coat the thing.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go with! [emoji1]

Hey Drake,

Thanks for the post but quite the opposite really, I was asking how much he charges because I was interested in starting my own shield finishing service. I've painted cars and an iron man helmet already so this should be fun! I already bought the paint and I'm going to do the whole thing myself. Thanks for the tips though! I read through this thread and I believe I should be fine. I'll post progress pics along the way!

Vin

Hey Drake,

Thanks for the post but quite the opposite really, I was asking how much he charges because I was interested in starting my own shield finishing service. I've painted cars and an iron man helmet already so this should be fun! I already bought the paint and I'm going to do the whole thing myself. Thanks for the tips though! I read through this thread and I believe I should be fine. I'll post progress pics along the way!

Vin
Dang,

Actually that's my bad. I read the post from hellspawn, and my brain connected it to you.

I feel silly now. [emoji12]

Hello, I am looking to have my aluminum captain america shield professionally painted, I am seeking guidance as to what the best method of painting this shield might be. I contacted a car painter who does custom paint jobs, he suggested powder coating the aluminum but said the etching process might discolor the aluminum. Does anyone have suggestions as to a alternative to this process. I don't want to risk damaging the color, but I also want it too look as screen accurate as possible, baring in mind me painting it myself is not an option, I am terrible at arts and crafts let alone a movie replica.

In know some will say take the professionals advice at the paint shop, but you know how it is they see a girl think quick money and wont really care how it turns out. If etching is my only option does anyone know how bad the shield might end up if things do go wrong??? Ill include an image of the shield I'm having ordered below. I figured if anyone is gonna have the does and dont's of best paints / colors / glosses / and coatings its gonna be this community :) Thank you for any feed back and or suggestions.

View attachment 483893

View attachment 483894
Check my post #1302 on this thread. It was meant for you but I quoted Vin by mistake. [emoji1]

Dang,

Actually that's my bad. I read the post from hellspawn, and my brain connected it to you.

I feel silly now. [emoji12]

Haha it happens. My main issue is Battle Damage vs. Clean. I think I'm going the light battle damage route. My costume is the stealth suit and then I'll upgrade to civil war eventually.

What do you guys recommended as the strongest glossy clear coat besides a body shop? I'm working on my 2nd shield and my last one got chipped so easily!

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Ken, the app costume is sweet! Custom made or ordered?
Both. Custom sizing and ordered from http://whitesheepleather.com/

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys recommended as the strongest glossy clear coat besides a body shop? I'm working on my 2nd shield and my last one got chipped so easily!
Chipping clearcoat suggests poor preparation. I used http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-Colorm...TF8&qid=1433457567&sr=8-2&keywords=clear+coat

From it getting banged around. I know, easy answer. Dont bang it around. But I've heard of clear coats that are scratch resistant but you cant wetsand or buff out because its so strong? Has anyone tried this on their shield?

I've been reading the thread over and over, but am still a bit confused as to attaching the brackets. I have cut them out via the template here, and am laying them out on the shield now. If anyone can point me to a bit of a dummies guide for this part, I'd really appreciate it.

I've been reading the thread over and over, but am still a bit confused as to attaching the brackets. I have cut them out via the template here, and am laying them out on the shield now. If anyone can point me to a bit of a dummies guide for this part, I'd really appreciate it.

I welded mine :D

For my brackets, I used araldite (an epoxy – i don't know if it's branded that in the US or anything) for the T-nuts that attached the buckle-style parts to the main frame, and to mount for the whole assembly, I used a good quality double-sided mounting tape. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, or earlier in Valor's thread. There were links on Amazon, however I found mine at a local hardware store. It was rated to many kilograms to a roll of tape (I can't remember exactly as I've thrown the packaging out), and I used about 1 1/2 rolls between the two brackets and it is still going strong on the wall.

It will soon be getting a proper in-action trial at a convention, but for a movie premier and wall display, it's still going strong. Each roll was about $10.

If you're still wondering how to attach it all and everything, consult Valor's thread on his shield building, particularly the Sled shield he did for how to put it all together – that's where I got my extra information, and as I said – so far so good! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I am going to Supanova Sydney on Friday, so am under the gun to get it finished :)
I epoxyed the tnuts directly to the shield, I figured the large brackets slotted over the top of those. I only found 'Bear outdoor tape' so I am hopeful that will be strong enough, Bunnings didn't have the 3M tape, and neither did Mitre 10, and that is all we have in my town.

I'm really puzzled as to how to mount it so the shield can sling onto your back.
BTW I made my shield from an aluminium satellite dish, it doesn't hold a candle to a lot of the ones from here, but I am stoked with it all the same :)
The brackets I made from 2mm aluminium.

3M Outdoor Mounting tape can be bought on amazon. It claims a alb holding weight. Scotch (3M) also makes something called Extreme Mounting tape which is on amazon which claims a 10b holding weight. Either of these works incredibly well for shields. The benefit of the tape (IMHO) over epoxy or JBWeld is that is grabs Instantly. No clamping. and it has a bit of flex to it, unlike JBWeld, which can crack, or pop off if the shield flexes.

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414P-6...285067&sr=8-11&keywords=outdoor+mounting+tape

Thanks Valor, the tape wouldn't arrive from Amazon to Australia in time for me, so I guess, I will try the tape I purchased and see how it goes, and order the 3M tape for a backup.

The part I am confused by, is do you jbweld the t-nuts directly to the shield, drill a hole in the large brackets, and then tape the large brackets to the shield directly, with the t-nuts poking through the hole in the brackets. Then attach the small pentagon brackets with bolts, so that they stand-off from the large brackets?

I guess once he belts are on, I will be able to see how to mount the shield on your back, at the moment, it just won't click for me, too many late nights I guess!
Thanks everyone for the help, I am enjoying the challenge so far.

Thanks Valor, the tape wouldn't arrive from Amazon to Australia in time for me, so I guess, I will try the tape I purchased and see how it goes, and order the 3M tape for a backup.

The part I am confused by, is do you jbweld the t-nuts directly to the shield, drill a hole in the large brackets, and then tape the large brackets to the shield directly, with the t-nuts poking through the hole in the brackets. Then attach the small pentagon brackets with bolts, so that they stand-off from the large brackets?

I guess once he belts are on, I will be able to see how to mount the shield on your back, at the moment, it just won't click for me, too many late nights I guess!
Thanks everyone for the help, I am enjoying the challenge so far.
There is no need to jb weld the t nuts to the shield. The brackets can be completely put together as a single piece then attached to the shield with the mounting tape.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back