DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

I made a prototype of the spacer, it's not quite wide enough only 28mm, but I just wanted to make one that was the correct height. I also had trouble locating the correct sized phillips head screws so I just grabbed these to make sure I had some that were long enough for a test fitting. I'll be remaking this in brass soon.

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/DL44/ESB-HanHoth/IMG_4251.JPG

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/DL44/ESB-HanHoth/IMG_4252.JPG

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/DL44/ESB-HanHoth/IMG_4253.JPG
It looks like it might be just a bit too tall, to me. Also, the original part still looks like it may have rounded edges. At least from the reference we have to go off of.

I'd take at least .050" off the height, and give each end a nice curve, even by hand with a file.

It also looks like the whole mount might need to move up some, though it may just be the angles the photos were taken.

As it is right now it is exactly 11mm, which is the estimated combined width that the two spacers (9mm and 2mm) that mortifactor gave. He also mentioned in the original that it had straight sides. Maybe he can confirm if there was a chamfer on the edge or not from memory.

It looks like it might be just a bit too tall, to me. Also, the original part still looks like it may have rounded edges. At least from the reference we have to go off of.

I'd take at least .050" off the height, and give each end a nice curve, even by hand with a file.

It also looks like the whole mount might need to move up some, though it may just be the angles the photos were taken.

I can confirm it is not a thoren disc. It has no indentation and sits flat on the mount. Its approx 3mm thick. All measurements are eyeballed, so if a better measurement can be derived from the available pics, go ahead!

In the centre of this round greeble (guess I'll stop calling it a thoren's!) there is an approx 1 cm grey infill looking area, showing the greeble had an indentation or perhaps a screw hole or was a doughnut that was filled in with a grey putty. The yellow staining looks like dried on ketchup, but sits flat. Rust maybe? The ex-thorens has a more nickle like hue than the exposed alu chips on the mount next to it. Might be a plated part.

I looked at the spacer assembly under the mount again, looks like a 9mm tall bit with a 2mm bit stacked on top. I thought it was 8mm + 2mm before, but its an estimate and I see in metric. It is prob a US/Imperial measurement in reality.

Also, I can 100% confirm that the bolt things holding on the plastic greeble on the other side do not run through the round metal disc (ex-thorens) on the other side. Just doesnt line up. I was on all fours to see this.

IMG_4253.JPG

60e115073a78b883b0f71a125f5c4314c882109ae88f871397bbeafa611b4121.jpg

I made a prototype of the spacer, it's not quite wide enough only 28mm, but I just wanted to make one that was the correct height. I also had trouble locating the correct sized phillips head screws so I just grabbed these to make sure I had some that were long enough for a test fitting. I'll be remaking this in brass soon.

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/DL44/ESB-HanHoth/IMG_4251.JPG

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/DL44/ESB-HanHoth/IMG_4252.JPG

http://newmagrathea.com/forumimg/DL44/ESB-HanHoth/IMG_4253.JPG

That looks to stick the scope mount out a bit too far, is it really what I said? I can't remember how it was in person without making false memories now, but I wrote down at the time "8mm thick piece with a 2mm thick piece stacked on top. 2.5mm wider in diameter than the mystery disc (the used-to-be-thorens)". I'm not sure if humans can see in 0.5mms but there you go :lol

The measurements are from some really hard up-close eye-balling, I did sculpture at university and was in workshops every day so have a better than average instinct when it comes to small measurements, but it was a few years ago and not something that is 100% accurate (I wasn't exactly a machinist)

The first visit you told us 8mm + 2mm, but the second visit you said 9mm + 2mm. I figured I'd go with the larger since I can't add to the size once it's cut. I think it looks a bit big myself. I still don't have the diameter of the spacer large enough yet, but I've found some tube stock that I think might work.

I do have a couple questions that you could answer if you don't mind.

1. Do you remember if there was a bevel on either spacer piece? If so which, where, how much?
2. What is the stacking order of the parts? (gun, large spacer, small spacer, mount) or (gun, small spacer, large spacer, mount)
3. What material did you think the 2mm spacer was made from?

That looks to stick the scope mount out a bit too far, is it really what I said? I can't remember how it was in person without making false memories now, but I wrote down at the time "8mm thick piece with a 2mm thick piece stacked on top. 2.5mm wider in diameter than the mystery disc (the used-to-be-thorens)". I'm not sure if humans can see in 0.5mms but there you go :lol

The measurements are from some really hard up-close eye-balling, I did sculpture at university and was in workshops every day so have a better than average instinct when it comes to small measurements, but it was a few years ago and not something that is 100% accurate (I wasn't exactly a machinist)

Last edited by a moderator:
The first visit you told us 8mm + 2mm, but the second visit you said 9mm + 2mm. I figured I'd go with the larger since I can't add to the size once it's cut. I think it looks a bit big myself. I still don't have the diameter of the spacer large enough yet, but I've found some tube stock that I think might work.

I do have a couple questions that you could answer if you don't mind.

1. Do you remember if there was a bevel on either spacer piece? If so which, where, how much?
2. What is the stacking order of the parts? (gun, large spacer, small spacer, mount) or (gun, small spacer, large spacer, mount)
3. What material did you think the 2mm spacer was made from?

I don't remember a bevel and I wrote down at the time that the edges where completely straight. The order went gun -> thick part -> thin part. I remember the thicker part looked a bit brassy, but hard to remember completely. Hopefully I wrote the details earlier in the thread. The thinner piece was a silver toned metal.

I recommend getting the diameter right and replicating the press pictures from the exhibition. If you are using a phone camera stand back and zoom in so the perspective isn't so stretched. Should be able to see if it looks right. There was also a picture of it in Han's hand in the snow where the spacer could be seen wasn't there? I can't remember, I am out of the loop on this already lol.

ok, so Luke IS using this blaster on Hoth...somehow I missed this pic :wacko

Do you guys see that the front of the M19 is pointed slightly inwards instead of being completely parallel to the MGC body?
Take a look at the positioning of the front bolt, making the foot of the M19 sticking out just a tad and not as much as we see it on other ESB blasters.

Last edited:
@newmagrathea The piece of tube you used as a spacer looks very close to the correct thickness, IMO, based on all the available photos we have of this.

Too far from the pistol to be esthetically pleasing, but accurate.

Sorry I haven't kept up. That's a much bigger gap than we did in the old days. I assume there's new information on that? (or new to me, LOL)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back