Displaying your props

Confused85

I have not been at this for long, but I'm slowly accumulating a few replica props.
My issue is that the objects that I poured all that love and effort into, somehow dont look right sat on a piece of flatpack furniture! Unfortunately it is a little impractical to fit out the whole room as a spaceship or castle interior to make the prop look at home! (Not to mention what my wife would say!)

There are loads of shots on here of nicely lit displays etc which are certainly an improvement on my setup, but I'm interested in seeing the displays where you guys have taken it a bit further!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

One day I would love to have my stuff out on display in my workshop, but until I have the finished space I have to keep my stuff safely in storage. My workshop is in the lower half of our split level house so it has a concrete floor that is in ground. It's kind of tricky with the temperature being a bit lower than the rest of the house.

One day though. I'm just so grateful to have my own dedicated space for my crafting. I've really very fortunate.

Display cabinets are one thing I'd like to have. I can't because all my stuff lives in my cinema, and the last thing I want is highly reflective glass panels messing up the (very good) acoustics of my room. Odd shaped items are actually good as they add diffusion. The other issue I face is my OCD kicks in when it comes to symmetry of the room and I really struggle in deciding where to put some things.

I have issues displaying my stuff, at the moment they are roughly on display in my living room in various types of cabinets, not ideal and I would love to have a room laid out specifically for them like Alan Castillo does on here :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One end of my shop where you enter is display. It's dynamic. I'm constantly tweaking placement and content. I love having it all living where I'm making things.
775bc56a6cedbdf4ee328321abd2aca2.jpg

Personally, I think it depends on what you have, and what will look good. For example, I personally try to go for simplicity in my displays whenever I can. Keeps things from looking crowded. I keep my lightsabers and blasters displayed neatly on my dresser, like so:
ir6t4Bf.jpg

Close up on the stands:
LVy2NDT.jpg

I got the saber stands off eBay, but I couldn't find anything I liked for my blasters, so I looked around at what I already had. Found a starry Na'vi dagger stand and a mirrored rectangular "stand" I suppose it could be called and an old wedding ring box that made the perfect stands for my E-11 and DL-44:
9mlu74C.jpg qLAIZvb.jpg

I used to openly display my Myers mask collection, but I got bored with the configuration after a while. I cleared out some room in my closet and was able to make shelves for them in there instead.
SSl55vN.jpg

As for the horror knives? Mounted on the wall. Made a plaque for my favorite one:
1zmwSIx.jpg

On the other end of the wall, in the same position, I vertically mounted the four favorites of my Harry Potter wand collection in a shadow box that I bought from The Noble Collection:
qbucCnw.jpg

Of course, I do also have a tall display cabinet set for those smaller knick-knacks. ;)

I've always preferred a small display collection that is carefully chosen and curated, if you get tired of it, swap it out for another theme. This avoids the "everything at once" cluttered look.

These are my displays. One thing that really helps keep them from looking cluttered is making levels to put stuff a different heights.

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
Wow! Thanks for the great responses! Some great ideas there. I think my main problem is the "pile of unrelated objects" look. I'll look into a more structured layout.
I thought I was leaning towards huge sculpted displays but you have convinced me that a simple plain stand can be even better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That is some seriously nice detail work. Who made it?

I built the house from the original resin kit and scratch built everything else using a lot of HO scale parts, trees, cars (mother's old modelT in the carport outback and Marion's car sinking in the swamp), etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back