Cherno Alpha Pilot - Pacific Rim (3D modeling started)

MorbidCharlie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is my attempt at recreating a drive suit for Cherno Alpha from Pacific Rim. I'll keep this first post updated with my progress as I work on this.

The Armor
I'm still deciding how to approach this, foam or fiberglass. I have decided that, for accuracy, I am going to 3D model the pieces. I've had no real experience with Blender, but I'm picking it up quickly and making decent progress. I'm hoping to have my first armor piece rendered by the end of the weekend.

The Gloves
Blackhawk S.O.L.A.G. HD w/ Nomex.
Comparison images:
glove.JPGglove2.JPG

The movie one on the right has been significantly weathered, but the stitching is the same. The leather strap and buckle has been added and the two metal rivets added to the velcro flap.

The Undersuit
Having no luck identifying this suit, it was likely that it was custom made for the movie. I've been in touch with a costumer/seamstress and have decided to "outsource" this to her. She has identified the fabric as duck cloth, for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Re: Cherno Alpha Pilot - Pacific Rim (Research - gloves identified?)

Those gloves look pretty close!

I'm not much help for identifying/building, but I wanted to subscribe to this thread because I *loved* the Cherno Alpha suits, especially the helmets! I'm very keen to see how this build goes. :)

And I think I'd like to try my hand at a Gipsy Danger pilot suit sometime (the ones from the start of the movie), so thanks for that link (though ACK I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money on just one small part of the costume, as cool as those gloves are)! But I have three costumes that I'm already trying to finish for Toronto FanExpo in August right now, so I'm putting this on the back burner until after the con, lol!

Sweeet!
Cherno Alpha was my favourite jaeger and those pilot costumes were so cool, especially those face plates. Fwoor.
I'll be watching this closely. Awesome work on the glove ID too!

Okay gang... I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've spent the past few days trying to identify the undersuit and knee guards and I'm coming up with nothing. I have no experience sewing or in leatherworking so I'm hoping someone can help me identify these pieces to buy off the shelf.

Capture.JPG
The undersuit has a few distinct features. In this one, you can see the double zippered pockets and the bicep pads.
Capture2.JPG
In this one you can see the detailing on the arm.

I'm inclined to believe this is not a military suit because of it's design, but I've had no luck looking through tactical or work coveralls.

Capture3.JPG
Here are the knees.

I'm thinking that these might be some kind of riding leathers with the armor added on that have been cut. The leather appears to be the same on the guards as well as between the legs.

Anyway, I'm going to give this another week and if I don't have any luck, may have to make my own or go with a close alternative.

Re: Cherno Alpha Pilot - Pacific Rim (Research - need help!)

Following this thread also - Aleksis is such a badass, I'm going to be waiting for the Bluray to try and get more photos of her in that big ol' leather coat, and maybe pull together a soft costume version before attempting the armour.

It helps that my boyfriend and I have a similar height difference to her and Sasha.

The art book said that pretty much everything made for the actor playing Aleksis had to be custom-made, since he's 7ft tall, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to find pieces that match exactly.

For the leather coats they wear when they're not in the drivesuits, apparently some girl from the prop department spent a couple of weeks pinning safety pins to them in the shape of the Russian double-headed eagle.

I've had no luck identifying the undersuit, so it was likely custom made as Yrien has said. I've found a seamstress who is willing to take on making me the suit, so hopefully, I'll have one in the next month or two. I'm going over what little media there is for these suits (a lot of redundancy in images) to finalize my design and have decided to try and 3D model the helmet and potentially some of the armor for pep or 3D printing... a daunting task since I am a complete noob to 3D rendering. All in all, though I am very excited and feel like I'm making progress on this, even though I have nothing to show for it yet.

Have you had a chance to have a look at the art book? There's not a ton of info in there, but there's a partial sketch (down to the knees) of Aleksis in the undersuit, and a couple of photos of them in the drivesuits. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner, but maybe someone does who owns the book if you haven't got it yourself? I can try taking pictures if you need them, but a scan would be better.

Yes, thank you Yrien! That's where I got my recent batch of photos. Robert Maillet (Aleksis) posted them on his Facebook page. I've started work on 3D modeling, and although it doesn't pertain to this particular build, I made the "skull and cross" emblem that Aleksis has on his necklace and am going to have that 3D printed.

I was hoping I could be helpful and identify some of the items, but man, I don't recognize much at all. I suspect that no expense was spared and they just made whatever they needed. The leather straps on the codpiece look vaguely familiar; probably from vintage military suspenders/load-bearing harnesses.

Wow. I was no help whatsoever. :( Good luck!

I'm working on a PacRim suit, too, using a Star Wars toon clone as a base. ;)
I can recommend greatly the new Pacific Rim Man/Monsters book.

Well, I know you're trying to ID the undersuit but maybe this will help. I can't tell if Alexsis' suit uses these, but Sasha's does:

B-CM-05_1000_Black_Metal_Quick_Release_Cam_Buckle_Lge.jpg

CAM BUCKLES QUICK RELEASE METAL 1 INCH-WIDE BLACK By-The-Bag

Although I can't find an exact match, the bigger buckles might be something by AustriAlpin. Their Cobra buckles are all the rage right now. (And the ones on the suit are marked "Austria.")

AustriAlpin ? The world?s highest quality safety hardware for military, SAR, fall-stop, para-sport, and mountaineering

Speaking of the undersuit, Alexsis' appears to be an olive drab color. The texture reminds me of canvas webbing, but much thinner. For what any of that is worth.

Cherno_Alpha_Pilots.jpg

I've updated the first post to reflect current and future progress.

View attachment 216936

CAM BUCKLES QUICK RELEASE METAL 1 INCH-WIDE BLACK By-The-Bag

Although I can't find an exact match, the bigger buckles might be something by AustriAlpin. Their Cobra buckles are all the rage right now. (And the ones on the suit are marked "Austria.")

AustriAlpin ? The world?s highest quality safety hardware for military, SAR, fall-stop, para-sport, and mountaineering

Thanks MFP 2020 for the info!

Has anyone made any progress so far? im working on outlines and maybe some pep files but i need more pics. Also im having a hard time finding some of the brass fittings. I guess most of it will be custom work...

I am currently almost done with 3D modelling most of the armor. The pieces are by no means exact, but the best I could do in 45 days. Still working on the female and male chest, but have both shoulders, back plates, thighs, boots (the most inaccurate part), ab plates, neck pieces, and female crotch + butt done. If you're interested let me know!

13094402_589958954511696_3075094481339077543_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, not sure if anyone has really delved into multiple pictures from the movie and the costume on display, but damn them for not wearing the same ensembles in almost any pictures. They switch shoulder sides, switch out shin plate sides, some pictures have totally different back plates, it's just all over the place.

I am currently almost done with 3D modelling most of the armor. The pieces are by no means exact, but the best I could do in 45 days. Still working on the female and male chest, but have both shoulders, back plates, thighs, boots (the most inaccurate part), ab plates, neck pieces, and female crotch + butt done. If you're interested let me know!

View attachment 621325

- - - Updated - - -

Also, not sure if anyone has really delved into multiple pictures from the movie and the costume on display, but damn them for not wearing the same ensembles in almost any pictures. They switch shoulder sides, switch out shin plate sides, some pictures have totally different back plates, it's just all over the place.

Sent you a PM!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back