Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

After watching Rogue One again last night, the timeline for Threepio and Artoo really doesn't work... at least in the way I thought this all worked.

They're shown on the Yavin IV base after General Raddus' Profundity had already returned to his ship... to fight. The Tantive IV should already be docked on the Profundity. Since the capital ship is already en route to the battle where we see it docked when we see it at the end of the battle. If Rogue One ends where ANH begins, there's no real way the droids could be on the Tantive IV.

I guess an argument could be made that immediately after we saw 3PO and R2, they were whisked onto the Tantive IV and it docked with the Profundity just before it left for Scariff. That doesn't seem very likely... it does look like the Tantive IV is already in the Profundity's belly as it arrives to battle.

......but was the Profundity even on Yavin IV?....it's a huge starship with a large ventral mast beneath it.,....it may have been left in orbit......Raddus perhaps had to shuttle to the ship.....the same as Tantive IV crew/passengers would have to to if Leia's ship was docked on the Profundity at Yavin

Senator!
Senator.
Stop right there, Private.
Let him speak.
Intercepted Imperial transmission, ma'am.
Rebels on Scarif.
I need to speak to Admiral Raddus
He's returned to his ship
He's gone to fight.

Also.....the ships all arrived at Scariff on the same jump.....& as we saw in Return of the Jedi, the ships all get into position & jump in formation

The thing that I've read is that the Tantive IV was docked in the Profundity for repairs,.....I don't know how official that is,....but just say it isn't

Vader arrives in the Devastator just as the fleet were jumping away from Scarif,.....It proceeds to destroy Rebel crafts.....an Imperial officer (who looks a bit like Jeremy Bulloch) informs Vader that the Rebel Flagship is disabled but has received transmissions from the surface,...Vader orders the Officer to prepare a boarding party,.....

Perhaps Leia's Blockage runner docked with the ship to aid crew & retrieve the DS plans before Vader's boarding party arrived.....

J

Last edited:
The ship is not even far away. How is that a stretch?

The timing doesn't work. The filmmakers let us know that one character has left, while two others that should be with him (or at least nearby) are still there. ...all in the midst of a battle on another planet. Yes, I know Star Wars doesn't necessarily use real-time pacing... but, it definitely makes the whole 3PO/R2 cameo a stretch and fan service more than anything.

......but was the Profundity even on Yavin IV?....it's a huge starship with a large ventral mast beneath it.,....it may have been left in orbit......Raddus perhaps had to shuttle to the ship.....the same as Tantive IV crew/passengers would have to to if Leia's ship was docked on the Profundity at Yavin
I didn't mean to imply that the Profundity was on Yavin IV. (I had re-written my second paragraph and apparently left in some wording that doesn't fit).

Being the resident Star Wars buff, I've had more than person or two ask me about this... and up until last night's viewing, I thought the timing was different. There is also a website or two that lists this as a goof (although, it's not on the IMdb yet).

Even Garth Edwards' explanation doesn't hold up with what's actually said in the film.

It's a minor fault in otherwise great film.

Last edited:
Wookieepedia says this about the Tantive IV:

"PrincessLeia Organa boarded the Tantive IV with the intention of travelling to Tatooine to meet with the exiled Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi. Before she could depart however, the Battle of Scarif broke out. Towards the end of the battle, the Tantive IV was docked inside the crippled Rebel flagship Profundity, and barely managed to launch and escape the battle with the stolen schematics of the Death Star before Darth Vader could board it to recover them.[10]The Tantive IV then headed to Tatooine, but was pursued and intercepted by the Imperial Star Destroyer Devastator. In the following battle, the main reactor of the Tantive IV was shut down, and Imperial stormtroopers boarded the ship.[7] Soon thereafter, the Imperials destroyed the Tantive IV.[2]"

J

Wookiepeedia isn't official. The article seems to infer that the Tantive IV docked with the Profundity during the battle - I'm sure it's just bad writing.

anyone else know edwards was the rebel trooper who pulled the "launch lever"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wookiepeedia isn't official. The article seems to infer that the Tantive IV docked with the Profundity during the battle - I'm sure it's just bad writing.

It might be a mistake of the movie makers or something that could explain everything,...as I posted earlier....

Also.....the ships all arrived at Scariff on the same jump.....& as we saw in Return of the Jedi, the ships all get into position & jump in formation

The thing that I've read is that the Tantive IV was docked in the Profundity for repairs,.....I don't know how official that is,....but just say it isn't

Vader arrives in the Devastator just as the fleet were jumping away from Scarif,.....It proceeds to destroy Rebel crafts.....an Imperial officer (who looks a bit like Jeremy Bulloch) informs Vader that the Rebel Flagship is disabled but has received transmissions from the surface,...Vader orders the Officer to prepare a boarding party,.....

Perhaps Leia's Blockage runner docked with the ship to aid crew & retrieve the DS plans before Vader's boarding party arrived.....

J

It might be a mistake of the movie makers or something that could explain everything,...as I posted earlier....
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

The Wookiepedia article seems to suggest that the Tantive IV docked during the battle (again, I think it was just poorly worded). I don't think the Tantive IV would go to the Scariff battle unless it was hidden - like in the belly of the Profundity... an Alderaan flagship outright in the battle would put too much in jeopardy. It was a huge risk to even have it there in the docking bay/hanger. Exposing the Organa clan and Alderaan as Rebellion (friendly) would just be reckless... although, all that happened anyhow.

And while it's not real clear, it does look like something might be in the Profundity's bay prior to the battle.

- - - Updated - - -

The Wookiepedia article seems to suggest that the Tantive IV docked during the battle (again, I think it was just poorly worded). I don't think the Tantive IV would go to the Scariff battle unless it was hidden - like in the belly of the Profundity... an Alderaan flagship outright in the battle would put too much in jeopardy. It was a huge risk to even have it there in the docking bay/hanger. Exposing the Organa clan and Alderaan as Rebellion (friendly) would just be reckless... although, all that happened anyhow.

And while it's not real clear, it does look like something might be in the Profundity's bay prior to the battle.

But is he the same imperial officer that later used Leia as a human shield in ESB?

Could be...

Brilliant!!

Just checked some shots JD & you are spot on,...you can see the Blockage Runner inside the bay

(brightened)

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 22.51.57.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-25 at 22.53.24.png

...but the first part of my post I did point out that all the craft arrived together at Scarif,....so they must have all jumped together the same way they jumped together in Return of the Jedi

J

As I said earlier in this thread, the ship is called a Blockade Runner because it's fast. Even if the other ship had left, it's most likely a lot slower being a capital ship. The Tantive IV could easily catch up.

Well, seeing Star Wars has ships called Devastator, Avenger and Executor (among others)... the Profundity isn't that bad.

Could be...

Brilliant!!

Just checked some shots JD & you are spot on,...you can see the Blockage Runner inside the bay

(brightened)

View attachment 716833View attachment 716832

...but the first part of my post I did point out that all the craft arrived together at Scarif,....so they must have all jumped together the same way they jumped together in Return of the Jedi

J

that is so freak'n cool! thanks for sharing that

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back