Finishing my Star Lord helmet :)

TheRocketeer

Master Member
Ok so here is the post I told everyone I would do..so people can follow or ignore this as they see fit.. but it should help someone :)

I took pictures of most things, I painted this up and took pics in about 4-5hrs so I was rushing to get it all done for Halloween. Its really not that hard, just lots of differnt things to do to get a decent paint job :)

Ok so step one..I cut out the eyes with a dermal, and sanded all the edges to make them smooth.. 120 grit then 320

1_eyes.jpg2_Back_sand - Copy.jpg3_both_pieces.jpg

Next I drilled a few holes.
The first pic is holes for the pipes to go into, they are a bit long so people will need to cut/sand and fit them.

4_first_drilled hole.jpg

Next I drilled a couple small holes..cause I missed this in the master..not sure how..but its 2 secs to just drill 4 tiny holes to make a nice looking detail
5_second_drilled holes.jpg

Now I take both pieces and the extra bits/pipes etc and wash them really well, lots of soapy water..not too hot or you will warp resin..

6_washed up.jpg

Once its nice and dry I get my gear and the Adhesion Promoter, I find it works well on resin or rubber..

10_Ad_promo.jpg7_proper_equip.jpg

Before I put any spray on the pieces I bow all the dust off then use a tac cloth to get rid of all the dust.. I use this cloth beteen colours too, if the paint is fully dry.. And set up the pieces so you can spray them all down at once, you need to spray paint of the adhesion promoter within 10 mins..

9_tack_cloth.jpg 8_saanded and ready.jpg

Next step, after a few mins of adhesion promoter being on the cast.. First coat of paint, I used a cheap krylon gold.. I would recommend Dupli-colour so all the paint is from the same supplier.. but this seemed to work well..sorry no pic of just the base colour.. I started masking before I took one..

So yeah the next step once the paint is dry, mask off the areas that are going to stay gold :)

11_first_coat.jpg12_masked.jpg

Even the little bit on the side :)
13_masking the small stuff.jpg

Now you can get your second coat on there, I used Dupli-color gunmetal grey

14_secondCoat.jpg

And dont forget the pipes and small bits.. adhesion promoter then black paint
15_details.jpg16_paintedBlack.jpg

Now once the second colour is dry unmask it carefully :) You may have some areas that dont match up to the lines on the helmet..dont worry about that, this one is battle damaged and worn likt the movie prop..lots of room to fix any problems from masking wrong or unmasking wrong :)

17_unmasked.jpg

Next I used a product new to me..old to most people on this site..Rub n Buff. I decided I really didnt want to mask off all those little tiny bits..I'm way to impatient for that :) so i just put the product on and made sure it was rubbed in enough to be "dry" and shiny.. I used it for the resin bits too, then glued them on

19_RubnBuff2.jpg18_RubnBuff1.jpg20_AddedPipes.jpg

Next I started by inking all the lines with a dark brown/black ink, and a liner brush. You can thicken up the lines and dab the ink on with a sponge or paper towel to get the more weathered effect..this is where you would hide/fix any mistakes made from masking or unmasking :) I added battle damage with silver paint as well.

21_inks.jpg

Next I did the sanding for the inside of the eyes, so the lighting kit will sit properly.. when I do this again I'll probably do that in the 1st or 2nd step :)

22_sand the eyes.jpg23_fit Light kit.jpg

And now you will want to check over the helmet to make sure the silver is all good and shiny and all the inks are dry then use a clear coat, a few light coats.. I used a satin finish so its not a super shiny helmet. Add some magnets and foam..elastic strap and you good to go :) Easy :)

24_clear coat.jpg

Ok so here is the post I told everyone I would do..so people can follow or ignore this as they see fit.. but it should help someone :)

I took pictures of most things, I painted this up and took pics in about 4-5hrs so I was rushing to get it all done for Halloween. Its really not that hard, just lots of differnt things to do to get a decent paint job :)

Ok so step one..I cut out the eyes with a dermal, and sanded all the edges to make them smooth.. 120 grit then 320

View attachment 400134View attachment 400135View attachment 400136

Next I drilled a few holes.
The first pic is holes for the pipes to go into, they are a bit long so people will need to cut/sand and fit them.

View attachment 400137

Next I drilled a couple small holes..cause I missed this in the master..not sure how..but its 2 secs to just drill 4 tiny holes to make a nice looking detail
View attachment 400138

Now I take both pieces and the extra bits/pipes etc and wash them really well, lots of soapy water..not too hot or you will warp resin..

View attachment 400139

Once its nice and dry I get my gear and the Adhesion Promoter, I find it works well on resin or rubber..

View attachment 400142View attachment 400140

Before I put any spray on the pieces I bow all the dust off then use a tac cloth to get rid of all the dust.. I use this cloth beteen colours too, if the paint is fully dry.. And set up the pieces so you can spray them all down at once, you need to spray paint of the adhesion promoter within 10 mins..

View attachment 400141 View attachment 400143

Next step, after a few mins of adhesion promoter being on the cast.. First coat of paint, I used a cheap krylon gold.. I would recommend Dupli-colour so all the paint is from the same supplier.. but this seemed to work well..sorry no pic of just the base colour.. I started masking before I took one..

So yeah the next step once the paint is dry, mask off the areas that are going to stay gold :)

View attachment 400144View attachment 400145

Even the little bit on the side :)
View attachment 400146

Now you can get your second coat on there, I used Dupli-color gunmetal grey

View attachment 400148

And dont forget the pipes and small bits.. adhesion promoter then black paint
View attachment 400149View attachment 400150

Now once the second colour is dry unmask it carefully :) You may have some areas that dont match up to the lines on the helmet..dont worry about that, this one is battle damaged and worn likt the movie prop..lots of room to fix any problems from masking wrong or unmasking wrong :)

View attachment 400151

Next I used a product new to me..old to most people on this site..Rub n Buff. I decided I really didnt want to mask off all those little tiny bits..I'm way to impatient for that :) so i just put the product on and made sure it was rubbed in enough to be "dry" and shiny.. I used it for the resin bits too, then glued them on

View attachment 400154View attachment 400153View attachment 400155

Next I started by inking all the lines with a dark brown/black ink, and a liner brush. You can thicken up the lines and dab the ink on with a sponge or paper towel to get the more weathered effect..this is where you would hide/fix any mistakes made from masking or unmasking :) I added battle damage with silver paint as well.

View attachment 400158

Next I did the sanding for the inside of the eyes, so the lighting kit will sit properly.. when I do this again I'll probably do that in the 1st or 2nd step :)

View attachment 400156View attachment 400157

And now you will want to check over the helmet to make sure the silver is all good and shiny and all the inks are dry then use a clear coat, a few light coats.. I used a satin finish so its not a super shiny helmet. Add some magnets and foam..elastic strap and you good to go :) Easy :)

View attachment 400159

I would just like to say holy crap thats awesome. The finish on this mask is amazing. Fantastic job

Ive posted pictures of mine from you,..... Curtis in my thread......Mike Ds....again thanks.....

Good work with the rub n buff. I figured to just mask it, because I know that using the rub n buff can get sloppy very easily

Love the helmet! Great job! It's nice to see accurate details. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to replicating. My little "bullet" ends were made from a ball point pen cap and some flexible wire loom, then the center pieces were molded from woven wire covers. Here are a couple pics of mine. Nice job, I'm diggin' it. :)bullets mold.jpgbullets.jpg

Yeah I was going to as well, but the Rub n Buff seemed to be easy to keep under control :)
Good work with the rub n buff. I figured to just mask it, because I know that using the rub n buff can get sloppy very easily

Good work.. I made mine in 3D and used my resin based printer to print the masters out.
Love the helmet! Great job! It's nice to see accurate details. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to replicating. My little "bullet" ends were made from a ball point pen cap and some flexible wire loom, then the center pieces were molded from woven wire covers. Here are a couple pics of mine. Nice job, I'm diggin' it. :)View attachment 401105View attachment 401106

Yeah I was going to as well, but the Rub n Buff seemed to be easy to keep under control :)

Good work.. I made mine in 3D and used my resin based printer to print the masters out.
The tutorial was good for me to see how your technique works. I was thinking of masking off the silver areas and shooting it with Alclad chrome, but as you can imagine, all that detail masking will be more labor time.

Yes I was going to do the same..but I dont have the best luck with clearing the Alclad paint.. 50/50 and I needed to get the helmet done for the night :)

The tutorial was good for me to see how your technique works. I was thinking of masking off the silver areas and shooting it with Alclad chrome, but as you can imagine, all that detail masking will be more labor time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back