Salacious Crumb Puppet - Build Thread

Hi there,

wow ... that's incredible for a first attempt ... very good researched ... will be following from now on.

Chaim

Ready for paint.

1977079_10153953611955527_1388143644_n.jpg

A little teaser. Starting the tedious process of punching hair. He'll likely be completely finished by tomorrow afternoon.

10154962_10153965101920527_1561811784_n.jpg

Re: Finished! Salacious Crumb Puppet - Build Thread

Wow! That's amazing, I can't believe that was your first sculpt. Fantastic job.

Wow, this looks really really great. :thumbsup
What kind of paint did you use?

Thanks for all the compliments! I'm very happy with the way he turned out. I've learned a lot about this character. I'm going to make more of them, and improve a bit on the process and body.

Here are some more pictures of Salacious in natural light:

DSC_0279 (Large).JPG DSC_0277 (Large).JPG DSC_0282 (Large).JPG

What kind of paint did you use?

I used acrylic paints with a latex base. I struggled a lot getting it to work with my internal mix airbrush, and discovered that is was best to use a cheap external mix brush. The mix is simple if you use a latex base (I used this one from FX Warehouse) I want to say I mixed about 4-5 parts base to one part paint. You need to be careful though, the paint will dry much darker than it looks in your bottle, the base mixes in white but dries transparent/opaque. When you use a latex base to paint latex, it adheres VERY well, with no cracking. I followed up with a very light coat of latex sealer just in case (this one).

So if you are planing doing more of them and offer the for sale eventualy......would you think about a casting material which wont rotten with the years? I think thats a major problem with normal latex stuff. Remember the stuff from Illusive Concepts. I would also like to know if you have compared your version with the Sideshow Lifesize version. Are there any differences in scale? And again...really fantastic work.

would you think about a casting material which wont rotten with the years? I think thats a major problem with normal latex stuff. Remember the stuff from Illusive Concepts.

Thanks again for your compliments & questions! While it is likely possible to create a similar result with another casting material, I will be sticking to latex for the time being. I'll use nearly a gallon of latex per puppet, and it helps me keep the cost down, and get a result that is very close the the original (which was cast in latex), a result that would be very difficult, if not impossible, using another material. I figure I should be able to get at least a good 10 years out of this puppet - I imagine if I were to just let it sit as a display piece, and keep it out of direct sunlight it could last many more than that. Its very hard to say how long one of these puppets might last, as I have not really had experience with a latex prop of this kind. I can tell you that latex is used in many, many professional & licensed props & toys (Even the new little Disney Salacious), and while they will break down over time, they generally live a nice full life before they get there.

I would also like to know if you have compared your version with the Sideshow Lifesize version. Are there any differences in scale? And again...really fantastic work.

I have not yet had mine next to a Sideshow salacious. I am pretty confident with the scale of mine though. I printed out a full sized outline from on a picture of the original, and lined my parts up to it through the build. I also had quite a few pictures of people standing next to the original puppet including the one above in post #28 (which shows the scale of mine as well as that of the original). While the sideshow statue was sculpted by the original sculptor, which is really flipping cool, but I think they tried to make him look more realistic and lifelike, and there were a number of issues with it that caused me to shy away from it as a reference source. I have no real sculpting experience, and certainly no reason to brag as mine has issues with it as well, but I do feel it is a bit "truer" to the original puppet than the sideshow statue is.. but I'm sure im a little biased :angel

Salacious_Crumb_(DB).jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back