Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

Re: Ghostbusters 3

We obviously still have a long way to go if one's gender is used as the sole argument for lack of creativity. Male or female, we're all people in end. Only reason I make a big deal about female representation is because women are still under-represented in the entertainment medium and bigoted posts like these. Next time Kerr, I recommend holding off on judging a product on terms that you yourself stated shouldn't matter.

Wrong. "Ghostbusters" was a couple of writers getting together and writing a good movie. This is getting some female comics together and writing a movie around them. When this abortion of a movie bombs, I'll expect your apology.

Wrong. "Ghostbusters" was a couple of writers getting together and writing a good movie. This is getting some female comics together and writing a movie around them. When this abortion of a movie bombs, I'll expect your apology.

Funny thing about this is, wasn't he railing about the JJ Treks and there being not-reboots and all? Yet because GB3 will feature an all female main cast reboots are all of a sudden an OK thing in his book.

Funny thing about this is, wasn't he railing about the JJ Treks and there being not-reboots and all? Yet because GB3 will feature an all female main cast reboots are all of a sudden an OK thing in his book.

I don't know. Why don't you go find an actual statement of mine and quote it here to back up your assumptions rather than assume I railed on JJ's Trek movie because his take wasn't a pure bona fide reboot? I never hated JJ's treks because they weren't a reboot. I hated them because they weren't good movies.

I'm not saying that having an all female cast automatically makes this a good movie. It might turn out to be a terrible mess. I'm simply saying that as far as what's expected in the entertainment industry, having an all female cast of Ghostbusters in a well respected franchise is refreshing and to a point, needed. Anything can work if it's done right, and I hope this one is done right.

I agree with Kerr.

And I'll go one farther... If I heard that a group of female comedians had been toying with the idea for years and they themselves had written a script and put a lot of time and love into it because they grew up wanting to be ghostbusters...

I would say, hey, at least they are doing it out of love of the source... And I would give it a chance!!!

This current situation reeks of old out of touch studio execs sayin: what franchise can we slap some boobs on to bring in MORE teen boys to buy tickets...

It LITTERALLY makes me sad.

Actually, I'd say they figure they have the teenage boys angle sewed up nicely. Through enough fart humor into it, and you're golden. It's the female demographic they want to capture. It still smacks of the kind of marketing-driven tokenism you might expect, but it's less about trying to lure adolescent men in with the promise of a hint of side-boob, and more about wanting women to go see comedies that aren't rom-coms.

What does that even mean? People to this day still love Ghostbusters and I had the pleasure of seeing it in the theaters just a month ago. Ghostbusters is not dead.

Last I checked, Ghostbusters wasn't handled by George Lucas and no one has expressed any desire to alter any of the films in any way outside of cleaning them up. And since this movie is a reboot, why should that affect the originals? THEY'RE STILL AVAILABLE!

What you are really agreeing with:

How dare a studio treat a franchise like a franchise! The moment one suit wants more of something, they're despicable human beings.

I didn't mean the originals dying with him, I meant all the talks of a new one being made. Ramis was in the very early stages of a GB3 script. It kept flip flopping for several years, (check earlier posts about it). Basically what I meant was, Ramis was one of the founders of the entire concept. Without him it seems brainless. On top of the fact we don't need a reboot. This is just a lazy, sloppy attempt at making money since the originals, the cartoon and the toys were all successful. Trying to reinvent a wheel that doesn't need reinventing will forever look stupid.

Take a look at Michael Bay's TMNT for example. Good god what a piece. And why was that even done? Because movie execs are trying to spoon feed a new generation with twisted takes on older generation's nostalgia.

There's no reason for this to be done other than trying to make a fast buck. Sure there's a small audience who's interests are peeked, but the majority seems to think Ghostbusters is fine where it is. For once I'm agreeing with the majority.

I have no problem with an all female cast. There are some damn funny women out there that I'm sure could pull off characters in a film like this. What I don't like is the fact that it seems like it's being used as a gimmick to revive interest in a franchise that has been mostly dormant for 20 years.

You know this went through the heads of the execs:

"Damn, Egon is dead, Venkman doesn't want to do it, and Ray is old and fat. We want to make money on this franchise but we need a new team. People won't go for a new bunch of guys. They want the Ghostbusters. I know, let's make them all women! That'll get the web buzzing. People will have to see it even if they hate the idea."

And the all women Ghostbusters were born. That in itself isn't a terrible thing. It's true that having a female cast will help differentiate this film from the past ones. However combine that with a senseless and unneeded reboot? Bollocks. Make them a franchise, make them the inheritants of the first crew, plenty of ways to introduce this new team without wiping the slate clean and pissing off fans worldwide.

Ugh.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Take a look at Michael Bay's TMNT for example. Good god what a piece. And why was that even done? Because movie execs are trying to spoon feed a new generation with twisted takes on older generation's nostalgia.

You can't blame a film for being bad simply because it exists. I still think a new live action TMNT movie would rock if it was done right. Unfortunately there is A LOT of things wrong with the movie we got. The designs were ugly, the story was incoherent, the origins was shamefully realized and the changes made to the story after production were really obvious.

And as I mentioned before, I really am on the wall over the 'reboot' thing. I think it's unneeded and unwarranted but I'm still going to keep my hopes up for this thing to work. It's Ghostbusters being given a female ensemble. I like that.

I dunno. I think an all female team is fine. Whatever. People are people. I just wish they would have connected it to the original films rather than doing a reboot.
Most of what made the original amazing was the combination of the writing and the lead's on-screen chemistry. I just don't expect a new film without any bridge to the old ones to have any lasting appeal. It might be funny once, but I can't see it having the kind of legs the original movie had.

I'm sure everyone's very impressed by you.

Here is what's wrong with women serving as the GB:

Statistically speaking, the inventors of goofy hi-powered hardware in their garages are not women. Nor are women the typical people doing dirty dangerous blue-collar jobs like city exterminators of ghosts.

I'm not saying several women cant do these things. I'm saying they statistically don't do these things. Some women as the GBs? Possibly. All women as GBs? No. I don't buy it. The idea doesn't threaten my masculinity, it conflicts with common sense.

So why does this matter, in a franchise that's basically a ludicrous joke anyway?

Because that entire "half-assed blue collar ghost exterminators with homemade irresponsibly-dangerous gear" is the entire premise of the show. The fact that the details of all that stuff were believable on the small scale was like George Lucas's "used space". The only way you can sell a ludicrous premise on the large scale is to make it utterly believable on the small details.

GB will not work if the whole thing feels as implausible as a modern post-Adam Sandler comedy. GB's dramatic tension came from the fact that it did not feel like movie-land most of the time. When they do things like give it an entire female cast, it's throwing the whole thing into modern-comedy-land. The resulting movie might make money but that doesn't mean they didn't screw it up.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back