Whats the deal with Anovos?

It´s so easy - if you don´t like the way they run their business ....... don´t give them any money. If many/most will act that way they need to rethink their businessmodel if they want to survive.
But don´t give them money and then complain.

(Same could be argued for the runs made here in the junkyard - there is a reason why runs at astromech only happen if no prepayment is asked for, goods have to be in hand before asking for money send)

Ok, let's not be too dismissive here. This is an old argument indeed but if a company becomes a licensed manufacturer and retailer they really can't run their business like a hobby. If you are selling a product on your site then it should be ready to ship. I understand that they are now doing the work in mass, I actually understand the complexities of this since my 9-5, but they should not take payment for products they don't have. Stop using the consumer's money as capital to float the manufacturing of the product. That model of taking payment and producing later has been historically what has brought similar types of companies to their knees.
I would agree in cases where an item is listed as In Stock.

Many items are listed as Pre-order and an estimated shipping quarter is listed. Offering pre-orders does not indicate they are running the business as a hobby. One of the reasons for offering pre-orders is to determine how many to make and if there is enough demand to make the product at all. Anovos cancelled several items because they did not get enough orders.

Several companies in the past made the products up front, put them up for sale, then had way too many for the demand. The companies may have ended up losing money on those products.

The prop/costume market isn't anywhere near the size of market as other items. If the companies lose money on very many products, they won't survive long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I
One of the reasons for offering pre-orders is to determine how many to make and if there is enough demand to make the product at all. Anovos cancelled several items because they did not get enough orders.

They could take pre-orders without asking for money, make lists to know how many want what, and start collecting the money when they have their product in hand. And if someone steps out give his place to the next in line.

They could take pre-orders without asking for money, make lists to know how many want what, and start collecting the money when they have their product in hand. And if someone steps out give his place to the next in line.
Would be nice in a way, but his next paragraph explains the issue that comes with that.

It´s a difference to produce thousands and hope to sell it - or produce for a order list with a small percentage that might step out. For those few it´s easier to find someone who wants the free place. That way they could still work in runs, just without playing with customers money.

Yeah, ask those who have run projects here how well that business model works. People are eager to put their name down when there's no actual commitment needed on their part. Then, when it comes time to pay up, quite a few back out with lame excuses or just disappear completely. Hobbyists can't afford to do that and neither do small business in niche markets like Anovos.

Yeah, ask those who have run projects here how well that business model works. People are eager to put their name down when there's no actual commitment needed on their part. Then, when it comes time to pay up, quite a few back out with lame excuses or just disappear completely. Hobbyists can't afford to do that and neither do small business in niche markets like Anovos.

It´s just more comfortable for them the way it is. All risks are on the buyers side.

The system works in the Astromech community, and that are Hobbyists, too. Keep the offered number small enough to find a replacement buyer fast, if someone is stepping out. When gone it´s gone, and people have to wait for the next run, if that will ever happen. That way people are thinking twice before putting their name on the list, and even more if they give up one of the rare spots. If someone decides to give it up, soon someone else jumps on the free spot.

With the amount of posts Sock has had, let's assume (for the sake of this perspective) he's a first-time prop buyer.

He searches the net and comes across Anovos - looks good. "In stock." Great! Hit that order button...

If it were any other type of business on the planet, I'd be pissed as hell if they hadn't shipped after 3 weeks, when the damn thing states "In stock."

So in anger, he goes searching the net to see (company) reviews, etc, to see if this in "normal" - and stables across RPF...

(Sadly) - welcome to the world of this (now) abysmal hobby, Sock.

Get out, while you're still sane.

It´s just more comfortable for them the way it is. All risks are on the buyers side.

The system works in the Astromech community, and that are Hobbyists, too. Keep the offered number small enough to find a replacement buyer fast, if someone is stepping out. When gone it´s gone, and people have to wait for the next run, if that will ever happen. That way people are thinking twice before putting their name on the list, and even more if they give up one of the rare spots. If someone decides to give it up, soon someone else jumps on the free spot.
I don't think it makes sense to expect things that work for hobbyists making very small runs will also work for a licensed company making hundreds or thousands of an item. The two situations are very different. What is a large run in the Astromech community?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I don't think it makes sense to expect things that work for hobbyists making very small runs will also work for a licensed company making hundreds or thousands of an item. The two situations are very different. What is a large run in the Astromech community?

What? It makes no sense that a official company produces it´s products before selling them and collecting money from it´s customers? Damn´, nearly every reasonable company worldwide makes a big mistake. :lol

In my books it´s way harder to handle it that way for the hobbyist runs. Let´s say a run of 50, with a endprice of 300 - not unusual there. Sure, as with each run here there will be some win, so he has not to pay all that in advance himself, but still a good amount.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back