Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

all better! thanks crackerjazz 1stcannon repair.jpg
Nice painting progress, thebeans! Did your underside cannons bend? Be very careful when straigtening them out or they might snap in two.

I'd just like to mention that I've been so busy at work that I haven't had a moment of modeling tine in months. Imagine! Not being able to work on your hobbies at work!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Getting some panelwork and first pass washes done today, decals too, some of those decals are ridiculously small.
Really enjoying this kit so taking it slow
View attachment 587792 View attachment 587793 View attachment 587794 View attachment 587795 View attachment 587796
View attachment 587798 View attachment 587799 View attachment 587800 View attachment 587801 View attachment 587802

Very nice work with both the panels and the decals, I still have more work to do before I start any painting. I love this kit, thanks to posters like you who
motivated me enough to get it....

The gun turret window frames were roadblockin me...

decided to try coat them completely on the outside with the base coat, then let it dry, then carefully scratch/rub the paint off the window sections with a wooden toothpick (or many) this leaving the frame sections painted..(in theory)

if this is a noob mistake, please let me know:) they're still drying..

Hey guys!! My entry for the Bandai Bird on this thread! Worked pretty hard on it. No time for explainin', just enjoy the pics!

20160207_154521[2].jpg20160207_154618[1].jpg20160207_155156.jpg20160207_155747.jpg20160207_155917.jpg20160207_160343-1.jpg20160207_160548-1.jpg20160207_165700-1-1[1].jpg

I feel like i might be committing a cardinal sin posting this here
I wanted to do something a little different, really should have primed it before spraying (its starting to chip in some places, not really that noticeable)

Overall though this was a really fun kit, heaps of cool little details and optional bits.

CBKdfTy.jpg

85suSzi.jpg

utxInts.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/q7slk

On that very topic peter, I think i'm gonna do-over these 'grey' panels, which are actually bluey green and not grey at all..did them with Vallejo..gonna use the Tamiya instead.

they're too far away from where they should be..this'll take ages.. :(

12696054_10154536542833032_705915893_n.jpg12695914_10154536541088032_493894588_n.jpg

decided to try coat them completely on the outside with the base coat, then let it dry, then carefully scratch/rub the paint off the window sections with a wooden toothpick (or many) this leaving the frame sections painted..(in theory)

Yikes. How'd this work out for you?

I would imagine that a fellow would have replacements for you. Anyone that is using the shapeways frames.

Then I would tape then off to so it. Or get the paint masks for greenstrawberry.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I've got 2 Bandai Falcon's on the go,....one I'm building as the original Star Wars (ANH) version,....for that one I carved out the windows leaving just the frames,.....just using a sharp scalpel,...the plastic is pretty thin

IMG_3799_zpshdrttddp.jpg

IMG_3800_zpsztrkclmf.jpg

My other one I'm building as TFA Falcon & because theres 'glass' in the CG model,...I built this one with the windows in:

IMG_3798_zpskkie9ium.jpg

IMG_3797_zpsxjym9hqe.jpg

To mask the glass I just used cheap masking tape.....what I did was,..press the tape onto the glass,...use your thumb to press the tape into the corners as best you can,....then use a cocktail stick to press down the tape right down to the edges & corners......then using a brand new scalpel blade, cut out the frames,...then remove the tape from the frames,....if any tape comes away from the glass,...press it right back down with the cocktail stick.....

Before spraying with primer,...give the part a blast of clear laquer,...this will fill any leaks in the paper with clear,...so when you paint with primer & paint it shouldn't seep under the masking tape,.....

....the main thing is, take your time,...practice on parts from your spares box,....

John

I've found that coating "glass" with Future before masking and painting makes scraping off any leakage with a toothpick much, much cleaner.
Just FYI.

I also tried a trick I read in a magazine once where the guy recommended using bare metal foil to mask windows/canopies.
I don't recommend this. The foil leaves a gummy glue on the "glass" that's almost impossible to get off.

So this build is officially into disaster territory. Lost the front left mandible headlight plate. Taking the positive from it cos I was using this as a test run anyways before I do one with lighting. Bummed out though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back