The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

Those are practically practical digital models and effects shot that one could practically say look practical. "Hey, we at Lucasfilm used as few digital effects as possible -- except when we're trying to win a visual effects Oscar, in which case, hey look at all our digital effects!!!"

Great shots, John, thanks! The Falcon looks like a painting in the tractor beam scene :)

Is it me or did that dish rotate a little bit between shots #7 & #8?
Too bad Disney's web spiders have taken the vid down, but in that scene the dish swivelled like a floppy ear would when the Falcon hit the ground. Either the links broke or it was built that way? I was too bent on checking out the greeblies to notice it when I saw the movie, heheh.

Really enjoying this thread. It inspired me to take pliers to my hull plates and those pics have just found me some new areas to gnaw at. Cheers!

I've got to say, although I like what they did with the new dish from a universe perspective, I still think the old one looked better aesthetically. Just when I thought I was getting used to it!

For some reason, that bottom image looks off to me in regards to the cockpit tube. It looks too high, as if it's not sweeping back properly.

Am I crazy?

I'm pretty sure it's the telephoto focal length throwing the eye off...

Really enjoying this thread. It inspired me to take pliers to my hull plates and those pics have just found me some new areas to gnaw at. Cheers!

I've got to say, although I like what they did with the new dish from a universe perspective, I still think the old one looked better aesthetically. Just when I thought I was getting used to it!

I'm pretty sure it's the telephoto focal length throwing the eye off...

The original dish balanced the cockpit tube much better- if you ever look at the TFA Falcon with a reversed image that new imbalance really stands out.
In story the rectangular antenna was just an OEM version bolted in place- the big dish was a military grade high powered one which gave the Falcon greater range. Now that the Falcon is back in Chewy's hands I wonder if they will upgrade it to regain that advantage...

The original dish balanced the cockpit tube much better- if you ever look at the TFA Falcon with a reversed image that new imbalance really stands out.
In story the rectangular antenna was just an OEM version bolted in place- the big dish was a military grade high powered one which gave the Falcon greater range. Now that the Falcon is back in Chewy's hands I wonder if they will upgrade it to regain that advantage...

Now I can see that happening... and Rey saying 'Oh. I think I preferred the old one...'

I would love to have a circular dish back. It doesn't have to be the same one, but the dimensions of the old one provided an aesthetic balance that the new dish doesn't

I would love to have a circular dish back. It doesn't have to be the same one, but the dimensions of the old one provided an aesthetic balance that the new dish doesn't

I can actually see Disney doing that if for no other reason than it will get nerds like us to buy one more Falcon. "Hey looooook... new dish! But ya gotta buy another entire Falcon to get it... dance, monkees, DANCE!"

No, the "Nerds" would have gone mad with the old dish, because Lando crashed and lost it in the 2nd Deathstar, so it has to be a obviously different dish...

The circular one was meant to be a military grade dish upgrade,.....the rectangular are civilian,....

Haynes book:

Antennae_zpsbff4cdb8.jpg

Even the cut away book 'poo-poo's the new dish as inferior:

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-19%20at%2018.23.57_zpswhtgvmup.png

So,....yeah,....perhaps Chewie will put her back to just the way we like her......after all 3PO was put right at the end of the movie......it just gives us that 'things have happened in the past 30 years'

J

So,....yeah,....perhaps Chewie will put her back to just the way we like her......after all 3PO was put right at the end of the movie......it just gives us that 'things have happened in the past 30 years'

J

And then they hit the reset button.

the reset button: loved by the committee, hated by the fans

Too bad Disney's web spiders have taken the vid down, but in that scene the dish swivelled like a floppy ear would when the Falcon hit the ground.

Hah, no doubt. I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for that the next time I see the movie.

PS: By the way it looks like the upper quad cannon did the same thing. Sloppy, sloppy gimbals, lol!

You know, I've always disliked the official backstory of the MF and it's description as a VT-whatever freighter. To me, the Falcon never looked like a freighter -- at least that's not what it was originally. A freighter, to me, is more like the giant transport Anakin and Padme ride in on their way to Naboo in AOTC or the Rebel transport from the OT. Boxy, utilitarian. The Falcon, however, is pretty small to have been created as a pure freighter. It's hard to imagine it could ever haul enough cargo to make economic sense. Based on it's design, it makes more sense to me that the Falcon started off as a military vehicle -- a bomber or personnel transport -- that was then sold surplus and converted for civilian use. I mean, why would a freighter be designed with military-style gunports? It's more like a B-17 that got scraped and then refurbished and souped up to become a smuggler's ship, with Lando and Han calling it a "freighter" as a way to disguise it's real purpose to the Imperial bureaucrats.

She was a courier ship (Stellar Envoy) at one point I believe, but yeah, even then she had a top gun turret:

finenvoy7_zpshfrfegob.jpg

But you may have a point...most all of the YT-1300 variants I've seen illustrated don't really fit the typical boxy, lumbering "freighter" profile. What I do see is plenty of internal space for passengers (troops?); maybe a drop ship?

4527.jpg

EDIT: Just found this illustration. It was unused concept art for TFA.

latest

You know, I've always disliked the official backstory of the MF and it's description as a VT-whatever freighter. To me, the Falcon never looked like a freighter -- at least that's not what it was originally. A freighter, to me, is more like the giant transport Anakin and Padme ride in on their way to Naboo in AOTC or the Rebel transport from the OT. Boxy, utilitarian. The Falcon, however, is pretty small to have been created as a pure freighter. It's hard to imagine it could ever haul enough cargo to make economic sense. Based on it's design, it makes more sense to me that the Falcon started off as a military vehicle -- a bomber or personnel transport -- that was then sold surplus and converted for civilian use. I mean, why would a freighter be designed with military-style gunports? It's more like a B-17 that got scraped and then refurbished and souped up to become a smuggler's ship, with Lando and Han calling it a "freighter" as a way to disguise it's real purpose to the Imperial bureaucrats.

You are TOTALLY right. But I don't think it was military, either.

If I were to judge it by it's looks I would say that it was a utility ship used by mechanics for technical support. Maybe even used as a tow ship in a shipyard. Then it was re-purposed for smuggling.

The longer clip is great breakdown of the digital assets
one scene had me excited for a minute , I thought I spotted an older Star Wars ship with the rest of the ruins LOL
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Great stuff lovin this thread
Apologies i appear to have uploaded two images to the wrong threat
Please delete images

Attachments

• 1stfalconhull1.jpg
    1stfalconhull1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • 1stfalconhull2.jpg
    1stfalconhull2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back