[NOOB] How much is needed make a mold and cast two copies of a Stormtrooper helmet?

PvtParts

Total noob with casting. Basically, what are the amounts I should keep in mind? Cheapest/best bang-for-buck casting stuff please.

Re: [NOOB] How much is needed make a mold and cast two copies of a Stormtrooper helme

That Hasbro helmet is SO awesome. And recasting is a nogo around here. So the supplies may cost you even more than the price for an anovos bucket.

Re: [NOOB] How much is needed make a mold and cast two copies of a Stormtrooper helme

Assuming you're making a mould of a pepped helmet or something similar, you can figure around $200 minimum as the cost of the mould, and maybe $40-$50 per helmet for materials. This is assuming you get it right of course and don't make any mistakes. A Stormtrooper helmet is not the easiest project to start with as a complete newbie.

I was actually thinking of buying that Hasbro and then making two more copies because I thought that would be cheaper than buying three Hasbro helmets.

What specific materials are you basing your amounts on, bookface?

What specific materials are you basing your amounts on, bookface?

You need to factor in the additional materials as well, such as trooper trim for the edges, padding for the insides, paint, sanding materials, tools that you do not have, hardware such as screws and the aerators in metal or resin.

Right right, but strictly with the materials, what stuff do I need and how much of it do I need?

Take it easy there...

Not many people around here have been casting helmets, because it is not that easy or cheap.

There are multiple ways to do it. The original helmets for the movie were vacuum-formed - which requires that you first build a vacuuforming machine. When you have one, making good casts requires a bit of skill. You would probably screw up your first casts. The Stormtrooper helmet is not a simple shape.
Another way is to do roto-casting: which requires that you first build a rotocasting machine - it rotates the mould around while the resin solidifies.
Either is worth doing only if you are going to make many helmets.
Another way to build them is to lay fibreglass inside a mould - which requires skill and is labour-intensive, not to mention involving nasty-smelling chemicals and hazardous fibreglass dust.

Or ... you could just buy another Hasbro helmet, and be happy that they are available in your area for a reasonable amount of money. I envy you.

I was actually thinking of buying that Hasbro and then making two more copies because I thought that would be cheaper than buying three Hasbro helmets.

Buying the Hasbro helmet and then slapping some silicone on it to make copies is the kind of recasting that is frowned upon here. Whether you intend on selling the copies or not.

Agreed, just buy three buckets. Spend the money saved on upgrading the hardware, lenses, and paint for weathering if that's your thing. I'm guessing that, if you're asking in the manner in which you are, that you've never done the casting process, at least on the scale it would take. So, you're also looking at multiplying your material budget for trial-and-error to get through your learning curve.

Well you can do everything with materials from smooth on, which is a great company to buy from when you're just starting out as they have a ton of videos about using their products.

For the mould, you can expect to use 5 of their trial size kits of silicone, rebound 25 is a good one at about $30 per kit. Look at their videos of making a brushable mould. You'll need a mother mould to keep it rigid while you're casting, I use fibreglass but they do something called plasti-paste that will work. Probably a couple of the trial kits at $35 each. Once the mould is done, you need casting materials, I don't remember which of their resins are best for slush casting, you can call them and ask. Probably 3 of their trial kits ($30 each) to make two helmets? You might be able to do one kit per helmet if you don't make any mistakes.

You'll need a dremel or something similar to trim and sand the helmet when it comes out of the mould, and then all the parts to actually finish the helmet, not to mention paint.

So assuming you don't need to buy a dremel, then like I said, figure about $300 to make two helmets minimum, not including the cost of the donor helmet that may or may not survive the moulding process completely unscathed. I just looked up the helmets, they're $75 each on amazon. If you were planning to mod the helmet to a much higher degree of accuracy then it might be a fun project, otherwise I'd say just buy 3 helmets from the start.

Of course there are other materials out there, but me being in the UK I don't know if anything I recommend beyond the Smooth On stuff will actually be available. Fibreglass is always cheap but not something to recommend to a novice.

So there you go, I don't mean to pour cold water over your ambitions but if your plan is to get an extra couple of helmets cheaper than just buying them outright, then you're in for a shock when you total everything up.

And finally like others have said, this doesn't even get into the ethics of whether it's the right thing to do. I've listed everything here that you would need to do it mainly so you can see that sometimes it's easier just to buy something. What you go on and do with this info is down to you.

Just this post here indicates you are way over your head, save your money and buy 3 helmets

Total noob with casting. Basically, what are the amounts I should keep in mind? Cheapest/best bang-for-buck casting stuff please.

If you are interested in learning to mold and cast, start small and do your research. There are hours of video on YouTube.

I started with one piece sterling smg part molds, then moved to more complex two parts molds. I have never molded a helmet but I have made a couple vinyl and resin masks of my own clay sculpts. The above amount of materials and cost seem about right.

Definitely cheaper to buy extra helmets from amazon or other retailer.

Nope. You'd spend WAY more in mold making materials and casting resin than you would to buy them from Amazon. Plus all the sanding, prep, painting and detailing would be far more of a time expense than buying the finished off the shelf.

Exactly. The RTV alone will cost you more than 3 helmets. You will have to make 2 part moulds, so that will double the cost. You can use a fiberglass support to lessen the amount of RTV, but seeing as how you are a noob, it is above your experience level for now. Buy the Hasbro helmets.

TazMan2000

Just in case you missed it. YOU will NOT be able to recast Hasbro helmets for cheaper than you can buy them. Oh and then there's the whole recasting thing....

A couple of things to say, recasting anything without permission is a no no, if that item is out of production and especially if the "company" has ceased trading and producing said items then we get into the grey area that is how almost all of us ten years ago probably bought our first Vader, Fett, trooper lids. Many people with higher morals here have at some time innocently bought a eBay bargain that comes in this second grey area.
But also this is true. If this guy wants to use his hasbro lid that he owns in anyway he sees fit, as long as he does not sell them, well that is impossible to police. Selling in this instance is wrong from all moral and legal standpoints.
Def cheaper and better to just buy more hasbros. Do it before they stop making them and the price soars like the crappy efx lid.

The combination of username and thread question made me think this was a trap at first....

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back