Nintendo is releasing a miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Sadly this has hurt Nintendo's image even among the most loyal of it's fans. They even got called out in a gaming magazine as either being incompetent or underhanded or both.

GOOD. It's about time someone calls out the bohemoth company for being as stupid as they are after all these years screwing over the consumers like this.

Imagine if Apple announced the iPhone 8 and only released 10 per store on launch day. I mean what kind of bass-ackward way of thinking is this anyway?

This stunt may still make millions for Nintendo and I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple marketing take a page from their book in the future along with other major companies. As they say even bad publicity is good publicity. It certainly has the masses talking about the product. Worked for Trump.

Nintendo does this with their amiibos too, they make fake shortages and then after a while you find the stuff cheap. Remember that gold mario everyone was losing their minds over a few years back? Got it for 6.99 used at gamestop. If i want a princess peach with no legs or a samus with 2 cannon arms like those high priced factory rejects i can make those for less than what ebay wants lol. We're going to see this fake shortage when their new system comes out too, just like we did with the wii, wii u, and various handhelds.

Sadly kickstarter is about the only place to find retro styled games and hope they can get onto consoles too. Companies these days want to follow trends even when the trends leave a lot of customers in the dark.

Nintendo does this with their amiibos too, they make fake shortages and then after a while you find the stuff cheap. Remember that gold mario everyone was losing their minds over a few years back? Got it for 6.99 used at gamestop. If i want a princess peach with no legs or a samus with 2 cannon arms like those high priced factory rejects i can make those for less than what ebay wants lol. We're going to see this fake shortage when their new system comes out too, just like we did with the wii, wii u, and various handhelds.
Shorting production gives Nintendo several advantages.

1) It drives up demand.

2) Virtually guarantees the whole production run sells.

3) Allows them to go to their stockholders and boast about constantly selling out of stock.

Another problem Nintendo has is price-controlling their products, but that's another story for another day.

Well it kind of did a reverse interest for me. I'm going to stick to what I got and ignore this mini release. I would have gotten this day one, but seeing how they went about this really irked me and so i'm not going to be giving in to they're marketing strategy. They should have had more units at launch. Makes me dislike that company even more now.

More units at launch, and the ability to downlad and add more games. Though tbh it has already been hacked.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I had a slight interest in getting one of these, but forgot about it. And most of the games I was not interested in. So I'm just going to build a RetroPie, a Raspberry Pi that runs emulators of several consoles and computers. The wireless controllers are the most expensive part. If I get really carried away I might even make one of these.

I got an email from Think Geek saying they are going to get more NES Classics, but they do not say when.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Super Mario Bros on my android smartphone :p

I've got a few reasons for my thoughts on this. I really don't want my kids getting in the habit of grabbing my phone whenever they want. Partially it's for privacy, partially it's because them I want them to be engaged in the world around them, whether they are bored or not. We do a lot of long car rides and I want to continue talking, listening to music and playing 20 questions. I'll be really sad if we start driving to school and they are just dialed in to my phone for the whole trip.

I also want to promote dexterity, so I firmly believe in tactile controllers. My daughter has terrible thumb strength. She needs the exercise. Personally, I hate emulators and having a pretend controller on a phone is the worst way to experience a platformer.

And lastly, I think video games should stay somewhat social. I like the idea of my kids taking turns while sitting in front of a tv. I don't want them locked into their own world that way. Of course at a certain point they will probably use my 3ds, but for now, I want to be a part of their gaming.

I've got a few reasons for my thoughts on this. I really don't want my kids getting in the habit of grabbing my phone whenever they want. Partially it's for privacy, partially it's because them I want them to be engaged in the world around them, whether they are bored or not. We do a lot of long car rides and I want to continue talking, listening to music and playing 20 questions. I'll be really sad if we start driving to school and they are just dialed in to my phone for the whole trip.

I also want to promote dexterity, so I firmly believe in tactile controllers. My daughter has terrible thumb strength. She needs the exercise. Personally, I hate emulators and having a pretend controller on a phone is the worst way to experience a platformer.

And lastly, I think video games should stay somewhat social. I like the idea of my kids taking turns while sitting in front of a tv. I don't want them locked into their own world that way. Of course at a certain point they will probably use my 3ds, but for now, I want to be a part of their gaming.

All sounds like good parenting :) much better than some of what I got: don't sit too much infront of that thing or you'll get square eye :lol

And yes, a phone as a controller: SUX. I have only ever made it to the 2nd level so, it's really just a fun little thing to have on your fun, as opposed to something worth while :p

All sounds like good parenting :) much better than some of what I got: don't sit too much infront of that thing or you'll get square eye [emoji38]

And yes, a phone as a controller: SUX. I have only ever made it to the 2nd level so, it's really just a fun little thing to have on your fun, as opposed to something worth while :p
It's not that we're hippy parents either. My kids are addicted to TV. But I'd rather have them watch a show together than each locked into a different iPad.

I just know that if that were an option, it's all they'd do.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back