Prop ID Help. Computer pros could be helpful

Terrasolo

Sr Member
Hello, I've been trying to ID this Mini CD case, which I'm aware could be a combination of two or more, but the case itself - minus the tray - is causing me some issues. It would have aired in March 2000 so the disc and case would have been a 90's era item.

What I can tell is that the case is smaller than a regular CD jewel case but larger than modern mini CD cases. It has no ridges on the sides of the case but it does on the top. It also seems to be taller than a regular CD jewel case, although that could be a trick due to it's smaller dimensions otherwise. Also, the case enclosure seems different than normal jewel cases.

In the show it's used as a data disc, which really doesn't mean much I suppose, but I was curious if ay computer experts may recognize the case itself or if I may even be wrong about the mini CD.

The other thing that gets me is the disc tray itself, the Mini Disc sits recessed into it. If they tray were meant for regular CDs than the tray would just be flat there, not recessed to hold a small disc.

So that's it, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.03.31 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.05.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.07.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-25 at 10.07.51 AM.png

You know I might be able to muddy the waters a bit.

IOmega use to have a zip drive system (came out mid 90's) and the cases look really close to that. I tried to use my google-fu to find a better picture but this was the best I could come up with as a clear example - you can see examples of the case with the paper backing in them but you lose detail then.

clear.JPG example 2.jpegthis far right one you can see some ridging on the end.
But of course cases were all made a bit different from mfg to mfg.

Hope this might get someone thinking about this.

Ford! Brilliant screen name, I must say, I looked at tons of computer discs because I had a hunch but I had no luck at all. What you have shown me looks like the right track for sure, thank you so much! I'll hit google and eBay very hard with this info. Brilliant! Thank you again!

Yeah, that looks a lot like a Zip disc case. I used to have a Zip drive.

I don't recognize the 'tray' holding the mini CD, however.

The tray looks to me a lot like one of the double CD jewel cases on the market, just cut down to fit the zip disk case, at least as far as I can make out from pictures. But I guess I'll have to just search all over to see if any currently have a recess for a smaller disc. That is, assuming I'm right.

yeah that looks like a zip case with a dual mini disc insert cut down to fit in. That being said I used to see mini dual cases back in the day. I have a bunch of zip cases and mini disc plastic cases in the house if you need any.

Lowell

Hey Lowell, good to see you here! If you have the time and don't mind checking for me, I'd be very curious to see if you have a disc tray with a recess for a mini CD like the one above. I think I already found a zip disk case but really, extra couldn't hurt. So thanks for the offer!

I can't help with the case as I haven't seen one for years and they are not mini disks.
They are 80mm cd's (I have a spindle of unused black cd's next to me)

Oh second thought, at one time cd's came pre-mounted in a tray and the tray was inserted into the reader.
Um, nope, bad guess.

Why not just 3d print up something.

Yes it does appear to be a mini CD and not a Minidisk, I agree. I could try to have the tray 3D printed but if I can find a real one, it would be a bit cheaper I think. That said, I have considered it.

This is my concern as well. My hope is that someone may be selling an old CD set or that I or a friend may even have one in our collections. But, I may have to sacrifice the recessed tray as the modern ones have the same shape just without the recess. Then maybe think about 3D printing.

This is my concern as well. My hope is that someone may be selling an old CD set or that I or a friend may even have one in our collections. But, I may have to sacrifice the recessed tray as the modern ones have the same shape just without the recess. Then maybe think about 3D printing.

There are a few recessed trays still out there but for dvd/cd/blueray disk.

If they look they same, it doesn't matter what they were meant for but I'm assuming those are in DVD or blu-ray cases?

I would consider myself very lucky if the tray could be identified and found for purchase but were at least 16 years out from the manufacture of them.

Agreed. That's the one I bought as a close enough for now. They only thing is is missing is the recessed portion, which may also be slightly larger than the center of this tray. I'll know more when the Mini CD and, for good measure, the Minidisk show up.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help! I really appreciate it all. I look forward to more thoughts!

You know, based on the shot with CSM holding the disc, I started to wonder if a Minidisk was actually a better size and after seeing your example there, I'm betting it is a minidisk after all. That said, 8 don't know the true size difference. Thanks for sharing!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back