Star Trek Beyond

I saw both previous entries in the theatre, so I've supported them. However I'm of the mentality of "fool me once..."

I've been fooled twice. I'm now the fool. Won't be fooled a third time.

These films have about as much depth as a wading pool, Trek is about so much more than that. I'm out.

OH to be just a Star Wars fan, oh it must be nice.

It is. ;)

As a SW fan who never liked any incarnation of Star Trek before JJ's 2009 film I actually enjoyed this trailer. It looks like a fun sci-fi/action adventure flick. I thought Into Darkness was a bit of a disappointment compared to the first film, but I'm totally willing to give this one a chance.

Despite not being of the same genre, this still looks better than BvS and Suicide Squad.

I feel like they made this trailer more "rock and roll" to separate itself from Star Wars.

This one looks more like Insurrection than classic-crew Trek, but who knows.... the trailer reveals nothing about the plot beyond "a new alien species attacks the federation, the Enterprise gets wrecked, the crew gets stranded somewhere..."

I enjoyed the last two. These movies are fun. I don't expect much more from them and think some people view the old movies through rose colored glasses.
ST:TMP - about as exciting as 2001: A Space Odyssey
ST2: TWoK - Awesome, but an action movie at its core.
ST3: TSfS - Awesome, and also not really a think piece that felt like TOS
ST4: TVH - Fun for the family... I forget, did Disney or Lucas make this one for Greenpeace?
ST5: TFF - Is this the God one? Yeah, that one was stupid. The one I've probably re-watched the least amount of times.
ST6: TUC - Worf's granddad and Kirk in ice prison? It was ok.
ST7: G - An excuse to bring Picard and Kirk together... overall it was meh.
ST8: FC - Second to TWoK in my book. Best of the TNG movies by far.
ST9: I - I just remember it being lame and had aliens that looked like Katherine Helmund from Brazil.
ST10: N - Crap fest with the guy that later played Bane who apparently was supposed to look like Picard. Remind what the plot of this movie was again?
ST Reboot - Hey look, they made a fun, watchable trek film, despite a blue collar bad guy with a ridiculously powerful ship and wacky time travel crap.
ST: ID - Still fun, even with the recycling of classic Trek characters and story mash-ups.

Perhaps there are grand themes and exciting ideas in this new Trek, but the marketing is ignoring them (because let's face it, that's not how you get butts in seats). As long as it's not a warmed over rehash like Into Darkness, it'll be an improvement.

Of all the ST films, TWOK was brilliant, never to be equalled. I enjoyed 3, 4 and 6 quite a bit. The only TNG movie I can stomach is FC, which was great. JJ Trek 09 was fresh and fun. That's 6 out of 12 ST flicks I actually like. So...again, Beyond is a coin toss. Maybe with the reboot, it'll be the ODD numbered ones that are good haha.

devincf: Just talked to Justin Lin about STAR TREK BEYOND. He said the right things. Expect a villain who challenges Federation philosophically.

devincf: Also: Pegg & Lin talked about how INTO DARKNESS cured death & ended starships and they decided to just not address it.

devincf: Also also: it sounds like maybe Spock/Uhura are kind of no longer an item.

The following was asked to Devin:

Daniel Rochelle: ‏ @ devincf Are they treating Beyond as if Into Darkness didn't happen? I'll be happy if I can buy 2009/Beyond without "needing" Into Darkness.

His reply:

devincf: I think so. You can just skip the whole movie.

devincf: Just talked to Justin Lin about STAR TREK BEYOND. He said the right things. Expect a villain who challenges Federation philosophically.

devincf: Also: Pegg & Lin talked about how INTO DARKNESS cured death & ended starships and they decided to just not address it.

devincf: Also also: it sounds like maybe Spock/Uhura are kind of no longer an item.

The following was asked to Devin

Daniel Rochelle: ‏ @ devincf Are they treating Beyond as if Into Darkness didn't happen? I'll be happy if I can buy 2009/Beyond without "needing" Into Darkness.

Hi reply:

devincf: I think so. You can just skip the whole movie.

I'll give him this. Those are all the right answers to those questions.

The scene where Simon Pegg jumps out of the pod and grabs the cliff... is that a scene from the next Mission Impossible? Did Paramount get their franchises mixed up?

You know what?

Star trek works really well as a TV show. It's a story about ongoing adventures, not one big epic battle. These are explorers. The same with stargate.

Sure, there were a couple of good movies, but those were more by luck than anything. Mostly they're just inconsistent in all respects.

EricVespe: Just talked Star Trek with Justin Lin. Dude seemed really humble and determined to make a positive mark on the series he grew up loving.

Even if you forget its a Star Trek movie, as an action film, it still looks bad. I see some people jumping around, something smashing into something else. Have no idea what its all about. Almost has a Michael Bay like stench to it. Now, maybe its the best thing since sliced bread but the trailer didn't make me interested in finding out.

Well, no one else has posted it today so I guess it's up to me.

v84ht7vimzwqx76dzovl.jpg

(Karl Urban still owns that McCoy impression though.)

Completely underwhelmed. I have always given Trek a shot in the theater, up until now. I get it, I know it is only the first trailer, but for the first time...I have no intentions of seeing this one in the theater. Yay, jumps, crashing, bright colors...meh.

I miss TNG, and TOS.

Well just conjecturing here for fun the Aliens the Woman was fighting, and look of some of the weapons are very Cardassian-like, for that universe.

Well just conjecturing here for funthe Aliens the Woman was fighting, and look of some of the weapons are veryCardassian-like, for that universe.

I was thinking Jem'Hadar

I disagree.

But I'll let you start. What makes a movie an 'action' movie?

What makes this movie an action movie or what defines action movies for me?
Fights (hand-to-hand and/or gun), explosions, good vs. evil.

What would you call TWoK? A romantic comedy?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call TWOK an action movie with class, like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard, The Hunt for Red October etc. But Hollyweird doesn't know about class anymore.

Of course the original series had it's share of fun action stories, but they had much more than just that. Now all we get is the action, but it's dumb action.

Jar Jar Drek '09
Jar Jar Drek in the Dark
and now Star Drek Beyond the Pail

If no one wants to make a Star Trek film, then don't call it Star Trek. Make up something original, something new, and make it whatever you want it to be. Who knows, I might actually like it.

A few years ago in the Star Trek Beyond Writers room:

JJ: "ok so what do we have?"

Writer1: "uhhh how about a Beastie Boys song?"

JJ: great! Worked the first time! What else:

Writer2:" what if we transport someone while they are falling!?!?"

JJ: love it! More!

Writer1: Ooh! ooh! What if we blow up the Enterprise again but this time in a asteroid belt!

JJ: yes!!!

Writer2: oh I know! Let's completely ignore 50 years worth of canon, mythology and alien cultures and just make up something new!

JJ: I love it! No one but nerds watch Star Trek anyway! Who cares! Ok what else?

Writer3: uh guys? How can the Enterprise be destroyed by asteroids? I mean that's why they have a deflector dish and shields? And wouldn't their long range sensors pick that up long before they arrived?

JJ:.... Ah geesh.... I'm going to go direct Star Wars.... I'm outta here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so, I guess this is fast cut, fast action star trek for short attention span millenials who don't like the slower submarine based adventure of old trek with morals and a message. just splosions and bad logic.

sigh. Dear JJ. you don't destroy the ENTIRE FRAKIN SHIP to get them stranded on a planet. THAT'S WHAT SHUTTLE CRAFT ARE FOR! Merry Christmas! Holy ......! Where's the Tylenol?

sigh. i'm going back to watching the rest of tng blu ray.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back