The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

You guys ROCK! That's why I love this forum board!

Thanks 80'sKidAutoman!!!!!

Can't wait to start showing some progress pics. I am going to make the shirt with the wide collar, waiting for the bag materials, making the pants and vest from scratch. Thanks again for being so insightful!

Anyone manage a successful holster yet?

Some of these photos show details of the trench coat and the bag or gloves.

16124a50dedfd87239200d28236ec395.jpg

edf674a3dbf395c98c92e36f7e99e0f2.jpg

HTqJLQ0.jpg

rs_634x813-150206121810-634-chris-evans-chris-pratt-boston-3-ms-020615.jpg

ZuhSoAv.jpg

chris-pratt-chris-evans-nonprofit1.jpg

Chris-Pratt-visit-hospital-2.jpg

B9OmQ6fCEAAdXaj.jpg

Attachments

• rs_1024x727-150206122411-1024-chris-evans-chris-pratt-boston-7-ms-020615.jpg
    rs_1024x727-150206122411-1024-chris-evans-chris-pratt-boston-7-ms-020615.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 196
  • ff65214f2bb29e3b96592e18ffd83b71.jpg
    ff65214f2bb29e3b96592e18ffd83b71.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 281
  • f7541855ce461d90958cb23384115f86.jpg
    f7541855ce461d90958cb23384115f86.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 270
  • chris-pratt-chris-evans-nonprofit2.jpg
    chris-pratt-chris-evans-nonprofit2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Hello everyone, while I've mostly reverted back to my lurking ways I was hoping I could get some help with my costume. Due to time constraints from school I am unable to make many of the items for my costume on my own (which sucks). That includes screen printing materials for Star Lord's jackets and bag. I know Soulinertia is still offering fabric for the bag, I'm still debating about that because it would be very expensive for me to get it up here (though I might suck it up in order to get the hardware kit being offered). Has anyone come across any fabrics that bear some resemblance to those used for the jacket and bag? I would be very grateful to anyone who can give me any advice or point me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey folks, been lurking awhile. I'm working on altering a wilson leather jacket to be more screen accurate. I found some great faux cracked red leather cotton/ rayon fabric at my local wal-mart, which I'll be using for the non-leather sections of the coat. It's not the accurate pattern, but doesn't look half bad from a few feet away...

I've been a little lax in revisiting my cobbled together Star Lord from DCon, just because, well, life. And I kinda hoped someone would have solved the fabrics by now. So, getting back to it, and being more proactive, I started work on getting my jacket fabrics together. I actually went out and purchased some twill to try to dye the right color, but wasn't getting as saturated a hue as I needed with my household dyes. Was about to order some fancier stuff, when I looked up at my swatch book, facepalmed myself, and dragged this down.

The colors are pretty spot on. Slight tonal differences that could easily be explained by variance in dye lots, or a quick pearly grey dip (one of the most commonly used tech-down methods in entertainment). Still need the silkscreen, but hey. Baby steps.

I'm being a little tight lipped on the source right now, until I get all the info together. It may be a bulk order deal, in which case I'll be off to the project run forum with it...

So what do ya'll think?
429842754.jpg

I've been a little lax in revisiting my cobbled together Star Lord from DCon, just because, well, life. And I kinda hoped someone would have solved the fabrics by now. So, getting back to it, and being more proactive, I started work on getting my jacket fabrics together. I actually went out and purchased some twill to try to dye the right color, but wasn't getting as saturated a hue as I needed with my household dyes. Was about to order some fancier stuff, when I looked up at my swatch book, facepalmed myself, and dragged this down.

The colors are pretty spot on. Slight tonal differences that could easily be explained by variance in dye lots, or a quick pearly grey dip (one of the most commonly used tech-down methods in entertainment). Still need the silkscreen, but hey. Baby steps.

I'm being a little tight lipped on the source right now, until I get all the info together. It may be a bulk order deal, in which case I'll be off to the project run forum with it...

So what do ya'll think?
View attachment 437722

Well, it kinda depends on what you mean by "solved". I managed to do the farbric, getting very close to accurate with screen printing and all, but the process was rather arduous. The samples you have look pretty close. I'd say that from what I've seen the "final" main jacket color is a cross between the two lower red twills. The cards swatch is much darker than what they ended up with in the finished jacket- maybe it's the "pristine" version of the fabric, before processing.

I also wonder where the orange samples were from, because from what I've gauged, the darker shades were simply bleached to get different tones. The short jacket doesn't really have any "evenly shaded" orange panels. There seems to be slightly brighter orange panels on the inside hemline, but it's hard to tell if they are evenly dyed or not.

Well, it kinda depends on what you mean by "solved". I managed to do the farbric, getting very close to accurate with screen printing and all, but the process was rather arduous. The samples you have look pretty close. I'd say that from what I've seen the "final" main jacket color is a cross between the two lower red twills. The cards swatch is much darker than what they ended up with in the finished jacket- maybe it's the "pristine" version of the fabric, before processing.

I also wonder where the orange samples were from, because from what I've gauged, the darker shades were simply bleached to get different tones. The short jacket doesn't really have any "evenly shaded" orange panels. There seems to be slightly brighter orange panels on the inside hemline, but it's hard to tell if they are evenly dyed or not.

I guess I should have said, "if anyone besides Joa had solved it..." lol. This Is great info though. And, first off, your fabric looks amazing. And I kind of wish I would have seen where you were selling off the extra before it was gone...

But I think you're right. I think this is the "pristine" version. I do think they started with the colors, and then aged them. Which what you said about the color variations, makes me think they built the jacket before they aged it. Which, also, is the more common practice. That would mean that the color under the silkscreening is a bit more saturated than the rest, because it would have acted as a resist to the distressing chemicals.

The twill weave on these swatches is dead on though, so even getting white and dyeing up, still a good option. This is the company that the TV and film industry uses frequently to source twills and such. So it very well could be the same base fabric. This is where they sent me when we were building the prototypes for the new Constantitne coat before I left the series to return to the Originals (it was better guarantee of long term employment... Looks like I was right).

Has anyone come up with a good solution for his holsters? Ive seen a couple of 3D printed items, but none have really explained how it attaches to the pants and how the guns themselves affix to it. Anyone come up with anything, or seen someone selling a good product?

Thanks

Has anyone come up with a good solution for his holsters? Ive seen a couple of 3D printed items, but none have really explained how it attaches to the pants and how the guns themselves affix to it. Anyone come up with anything, or seen someone selling a good product?

Thanks

There's one on Shapeways that I printed out and it holds the gun fine. NOVA Props (IronManiac and Daniel Nelms) are working on one that uses the same system that the Shapeways one does but also includes magnets to make sure it never falls out. I think they're figuring a way to make it detachable as well so you can still wash your pants, heh.

I attached the clips to the holster pads with Chicago screws, and the pads attached to the pants with snaps

20141031_174442_zpsvghvzd0l.jpg

I also coated the clips in plastidip to help prevent scratches

Last edited:
How did you attach the holster pads to the pants? And did the clips have holes pre-drilled for the screws, or did you do that yourself?

Sorry, for some reason it cut part of my text off. The pads connected to the pants with snaps. I drilled the holes myself (also printed the clips on my home printer)

I have not really liked most of the rocket remotes out there. So I am working on this one below. I want to add a real button and LEDs and so I made room inside for the electronics. I just need to figure out how to do the electronics. Creating it was the easy part.Remote.jpg

Quick question guys, I've just ordered the short red Peter Quill jacket from a seller on eBay.

I really want to put the patch and valve on the arms but I have no idea how to affix them to the leather. I really don't want to mess it up and potentially ruin a brand new jacket. I presume you would use some sort of flexible glue but I don't know where to start.

Any help/tips on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back