The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

Apologies if you've already answered this, I got excited. Would you post a pattern for your bag project? Or, at least the trapezoid parts. Very nice work! The symmetry is spectacular.

This is all I used, it's just a simple trace of the photo above to scale when printed 11" x 17".

You'll have to adjust the largest two shapes to account for perspective.

bagsketch.jpg~original

I'm pretty positive there is at least 2 and did consider a third under the flap. The one across the seam lengthwise makes sense because that is the "secure" pocket where stuff won;t fall out.

SttToVl.jpg

Granted this pic is from the toy but the pleat under the flap makes it seem like there could be an external pocket there.

I'm quite certain there's more than one pocket. I'm on mobile, so I'll try to explain without good photo editing software:
irMkW6Vl.jpg

The red arrow points at the side seam at the top of that piece of leather, and the yellow I THINK points at a lower seam, showing that they're is depth to the leather.

The upper seam, where the red arrow points, is on the same plane as the trapezoids and under layer of the tan printed cloth. That plane is the back of the primary pocket. But there's not just a single layer of leather behind that, there's space in that leather. I think it's also fairly visible in the shoot that shows all the fabric printing detail.

I began to figure there was at least two pockets, but to think that there's three now (which does make a lot of sense given the additional overview of the bag), makes it alot more complicated than I was hoping. However, since I plan on using the bag outside of the costume it would have more utility with additional pockets. But I'm waiting for a generous pattern maker to come up with a pattern that they would be willing to share.

When Gamora is rifling through the bag trying to find the orb in the movie, (inside the Milano in her Yellow prison jumper), she opens one compartment, then another to reveal nothing but candy wrappers. Seen it seven times. Also, there is an additional pocket sewn into the liner which is about the size of a man's wallet, if not slightly bigger.

When Gamora is rifling through the bag trying to find the orb in the movie, (inside the Milano in her Yellow prison jumper), she opens one compartment, then another to reveal nothing but candy wrappers. Seen it seven times. Also, there is an additional pocket sewn into the liner which is about the size of a man's wallet, if not slightly bigger.

Do you know where the compartments are that Gamora goes through?

That's exactly the info I'm hoping for. I haven't seen the movie since starting this thread, when I go again I'll be paying very close attention in that scene.

That's exactly the info I'm hoping for. I haven't seen the movie since starting this thread, when I go again I'll be paying very close attention in that scene.

Yeah, it went kinda quick...also, when Star Lord is rooting through it (past the orb while looking for the walkman), after escaping, he also whips-open two compartments.

I really need to see the movie again...Yeah, after seeing all these pictures of what you guys are pointing out, it does seem like there are a lot more pockets!

I'm looking at a screen shot from the movie:

inside 1.jpg

Are there 2 small pockets in there? Also, we think there's a large pocket behind all of this that takes up the entire profile of the bag?

Very good information on this, im getting my parts in. I just received my carbon steel bucklets. This weekend i will try a couple things to get the look, kind of how i did with my belt loops. Cant wait to receive the patterned fabric. I am doing the Bag and Boot at the same time, as i lagging behind on my project.

@Soulinertia, Thanks for posting that pattern, that will be a start for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we see the back and the inside, please? This rocks!

Here's the back:
1007140642.jpg

Not that the inside of my bag is very relevant anymore...but here's 1 pocket! With all of the discussions about pockets yesterday, I'm probably going to add the big pocket that goes across the entire surface of the bag (behind the front pocket and under the trapezoids). I think I'll probably add a 2" deep divider along the top seam and use a bag liner in both sections to split up the pocket.
1007140641.jpg

If anyone on here has an extra quick release buckle they are willing to toss this way please pm me!

I'm in the market for a carbon steel one too, if no one figures out a good way to distress the stainless buckle. I'll put the stainless one in a guitar strap if that's the case, that'll be fun. The bag is going to have to be an after-halloween project for me anyway, so no hurry.

Soulinertia, if you have a second half of that sketch that covers the right side, that would be awesome. There's not so much detail there so it wouldn't be hard to finish by hand, but if you've already done the work and don't mind sharing....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the general consensus on the hardware? Just trying to get everything organized for not only myself but for others so they we don't have to go page for page.

5SVlgbH.jpg

Is this the general consensus on the hardware? Just trying to get everything organized for not only myself but for others so they we don't have to go page for page.

http://i.imgur.com/5SVlgbH.jpg

Just gathered info from the previous posts:

The 8mm Raised Flat are actually 10mm.
Not sure if the d-rings are 1.75" or 2"
The 10mm Flat Round Rivets are actually 12mm.
The 1.25" oval grommets are correct.

There are also the snaps on the strap on the other side of the bag that hold the flap down. Those are 5/8" or 16mm. I believe that is the standard Line 24 size for Tandy snaps (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Just gathered info from the previous posts:

The 8mm Raised Flat are actually 10mm.
Not sure if the d-rings are 1.75" or 2"
The 10mm Flat Round Rivets are actually 12mm.
The 1.25" oval grommets are correct.

There are also the snaps on the strap on the other side of the bag that hold the flap down. Those are 5/8" or 16mm. I believe that is the standard Line 24 size for Tandy snaps (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Let's try this again:

MCKrn6S.jpg

b8LrXtO.jpg

Here's the back:
View attachment 385924

Not that the inside of my bag is very relevant anymore...but here's 1 pocket! With all of the discussions about pockets yesterday, I'm probably going to add the big pocket that goes across the entire surface of the bag (behind the front pocket and under the trapezoids). I think I'll probably add a 2" deep divider along the top seam and use a bag liner in both sections to split up the pocket.
View attachment 385923

Any chance you could post a picture of the front and back of your back laying flat with something next to it for scale, like a ruler or a dollar bill or something? Your bag is looking great, and it would be nice to get an estimate of the rough size you went with.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back