Captain America: Civil War

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/7/8566749/captain-america-civil-war-cast-avengers

Synopsis:
"Captain America: Civil War" picks up where "Avengers: Age of Ultron" left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.

- - - Updated - - -

I dig how Cap3 is a direct sequel to Avengers 2, kind of like how Avengers was more or less a sequel to Cap1.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW I was sooo glad to see that William Hurt reprising his role as General Ross. I'm still in the camp that loved that Hulk movie and I'm glad it'll further cement it into the MCU.

That's actually the thing that bothered me most about AOU -- with the whole tentative romance between 'Tasha and Bruse, with the Hulkbuster armor satellite code-named Veronica... how has Bruce apparently forgotten all about Betty?

--Jonah

What IP said is hardly much of a spoiler and it's actually all over because of the ***** storm that hit Joss Whedon's Twitter account, and it doesn't really spoil anything; it's not like a so and so dies or lives, or X is really the bad guy kind of spoiler.

Last edited:
Sorry 'bout that. I also don't think of it as spoilery, as I'm in the apparent minority who's seen them building to that since she first met him in the first Avengers.

--Jonah

I heard some speculation that I liked a lot... but, I wonder if Marvel would actually do it.

In the comics, Goliath dies during Civil War. Now, Ant Man has some of the same powers as Goliath (if not identical powers)... I think it would be a genius (as well as incredibly ballsy) to off Ant Man right after his intro movie. I don't think Marvel would do it - but, it would be exciting to see them pull something like this devote an entire feature just to kill him off in the next flick. Paul Rudd is already 46 - while not terribly old, in movie-especially superhero movie-world, that's pretty old... could be a perfect way to intro the Wasp (as Evagneline Lily (at 35) could have quite a few more movies in her.

That said, we all know who dies in the aftermath of Civil War and who is at the end of their contract and those that filled those boots are already signed for multiple future movies.

Gaahh!! I hated it! I hope the author is wrong, wrong, wrong. It's a topic that doesn't even need re-visited as far as I'm concerned. I like the canon material for a plot. Go ballsy and do it right. It'll shock everyone and it's what most expect anyway.

Too early to speculate, but it's still fun.

Who Dies In CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR? | Birth.Movies.Death.
Not confirmed. But considering many in Atlanta have access to the production details, the scene is very likely happening. But the rest is all speculation. Could be spoiler or not.

I like the outcome that is described in the article, even though initially many might feel that it won't make enough of an impact.

*Reads the article*

I've got something to say about this article that I strongly believe needs to be addressed.

The film is going to feature Spider-Man. Of course it's going to have a scene that takes place at a funeral. :p

Teasing aside, I find the article's theory and potential outcome misses a very important point. It describes Peggy Carter as the "final" thing that connects to Steve's old life and prevents him from starting his life anew. This is wrong for so many reasons and it leaves an important detail out that it almost comes off as sexist towards Peggy Carter. For starters, Steve did show moments that he had moved on from his romantic relationship with Peggy and even flirted with Agent 13. He even told Natasha that he'll probably pursue that relationship further in the future. The Peggy/Steve ship has sailed, so killing her off to free him up is completely pointless since he's free anyways. The only influence that Peggy had over Steve was him staying with SHIELD, and he was willing to bring the entire organization down without so much as a thought to Peggy's role in helping create SHIELD. Peggy Carter is not holding Steve back.

Now, let's talk about BUCKY. To say that he has a connection to Steve's old life is a vast understatement considering how long they've known each other before he was even Captain America. His personal relationship with Bucky is so strong that Steve was willing to give up everything for Bucky even when he wasn't himself. Falcon even tells Steve that the person Steve thought he was is completely gone and that he may have to stop him regardless. But what does Steve do? He drops his shield, says he won't fight and when Bucky has the opportunity to finish Steve, Steve gives him the chance to 'finish it'. Steve is going to hold back and not let go of Bucky even if it means his death.

But no. Let's have the WOMAN in Steve's life be the real reason that's holding him back and only with her death will Steve be truly free... What a crock of-

*clears throat*

I don't like it.

Well I don't agree.

Yes, Bucky is holding Steve back. Bucky has already gone to the dark side (And yes, he has returned and might fight along side Cap eventually). But Bucky is still alive and there is hope and motivation to retrieve him.

Despite her condition Peggy could still be considered as a positive reminder and connection for Steve from his past, so losing her could be seen as the starting point that will eventually push Cap over the edge. So in this case a WOMAN holding Steve back is not entirely a bad thing. Maybe it sounds bad in text but will be executed well during the actual scenes.

As for Sharon, yes Steve did briefly flirt with her. Despite him being already free from any commitment or romantic relationships, why is it so hard to believe Steve still may not really pursue his relationship in a more forthcoming way with someone? There are people who after losing their partner/spouse have not remarried or haven't pursued any relationships for years together.

It's such a complicated situation and mindset for Steve, but it's very easy to just say and assume he has all gotten over her. Peggy, the love of his life is still alive. Doesn't mean she should be killed solely so that Steve can hook up with Sharon. But it's the natural course of things, Peggy's passing of old age leads to Steve eventually moving on to Sharon. Perhaps he is old fashioned that way. Maybe it would be seem sexist (it's really not) to imply that it's the WOMAN who was holding Steve back. So be it. The heart wants what it wants. (Even though he knows he can't have it).

Well I don't agree.

Yes, Bucky is holding Steve back. Bucky has already gone to the dark side (And yes, he has returned and might fight along side Cap eventually). But Bucky is still alive and there is hope and motivation to retrieve him.

Despite her condition Peggy could still be considered as a positive reminder and connection for Steve from his past, so losing her could be seen as the starting point that will eventually push Cap over the edge. So in this case a WOMAN holding Steve back is not entirely a bad thing. Maybe it sounds bad in text but will be executed well during the actual scenes.

As for Sharon, yes Steve did briefly flirt with her. Despite him being already free from any commitment or romantic relationships, why is it so hard to believe Steve still may not really pursue his relationship in a more forthcoming way with someone? There are people who after losing their partner/spouse have not remarried or haven't pursued any relationships for years together.

It's such a complicated situation and mindset for Steve, but it's very easy to just say and assume he has all gotten over her. Peggy, the love of his life is still alive. Doesn't mean she should be killed solely so that Steve can hook up with Sharon. But it's the natural course of things, Peggy's passing of old age leads to Steve eventually moving on to Sharon. Perhaps he is old fashioned that way. Maybe it would be seem sexist (it's really not) to imply that it's the WOMAN who was holding Steve back. So be it. The heart wants what it wants. (Even though he knows he can't have it).

The other thing to consider, vis a vis Cap's love life or lack there of, is the time factor. Where as for Peggy 70 some odd years have passed it's only been a few years for Cap so Peggy has had decades to get over losing Cap and moving on with her life, Cap hasn't, he's only had a few years. So for Cap, it would seem like only yesterday since he last saw Peggy and I'm sure that it's a bit difficult for him to completely grasp that the woman he loved and was a young woman not that long ago is now all of a sudden an old woman who has lived a long, full life. I can't imagine that it would be that easy for anyone to deal with and on top of that Cap has probably been too busy to really work it out, probably deliberately so, making sure that he works with SHIELD and going out to the field and conducting missions as much as possible to keep his mind off of Peggy and the life he knew before.

The other thing to consider, vis a vis Cap's love life or lack there of, is the time factor. Where as for Peggy 70 some odd years have passed it's only been a few years for Cap so Peggy has had decades to get over losing Cap and moving on with her life, Cap hasn't, he's only had a few years. So for Cap, it would seem like only yesterday since he last saw Peggy and I'm sure that it's a bit difficult for him to completely grasp that the woman he loved and was a young woman not that long ago is now all of a sudden an old woman who has lived a long, full life. I can't imagine that it would be that easy for anyone to deal with and on top of that Cap has probably been too busy to really work it out, probably deliberately so, making sure that he works with SHIELD and going out to the field and conducting missions as much as possible to keep his mind off of Peggy and the life he knew before.

All great points, but I'm still not convinced that
killing Peggy is best way to go about it. It won't take away the fact that Steve already missed his chance since that already happened after he was thawed. Plus wouldn't the conflict that Steve has be undermined If Peggy was to simply die? The film would be taking the easy way out since everything you listed wouldn't matter anymore. Why can't Steve be capable of figuring this stuff out on his own rather than waiting for plot convenience to do it for him? Removing obstacles is no where near as dramatic or satisfying as dealing with them. Turning Peggy into an obstacle where Steve can only develop as a character through her death is classic fridging and that's a plot device that's been done enough in the MCU already.

All great points, but I'm still not convinced that
killing Peggy is best way to go about it. It won't take away the fact that Steve already missed his chance since that already happened after he was thawed. Plus wouldn't the conflict that Steve has be undermined If Peggy was to simply die? The film would be taking the easy way out since everything you listed wouldn't matter anymore. Why can't Steve be capable of figuring this stuff out on his own rather than waiting for plot convenience to do it for him? Removing obstacles is no where near as dramatic or satisfying as dealing with them. Turning Peggy into an obstacle where Steve can only develop as a character through her death is classic fridging and that's a plot device that's been done enough in the MCU already.

I'm with you on this one, it would be lazy writing and not to mention using an overused trope as well. Then again, studio execs aren't always known to be the most creative of people either and this plot point/device could very easily be at the insistence of the studio because they think that it would be a good idea and because they can't think of anything better even if their writers can.

Of course, there's memes.

civil-war-meme.jpg

captain-america-civil-war-memes-favorite-star-trek-captain-why-we-fight.jpg

7e5.jpg

20f.jpg

Sorta under the same type of meme:

4bb.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back