New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

Based on the cutaway we saw earlier, have you thought about putting a little backyard pressure on that nozzle to see if it snaps into place?

If it breaks... you didn't hear that idea from me. :rolleyes

I did indeed...not alot, but sill not much of a change..it's not all that annoying at all..the inner tube in the beam emitter however, does wobble around if I motion with it, but I'm not really going to do that all that much anyway. I 'd say I am quite satisfied with it, and especially TG's swift replacement..It charged up quicker than two hours, and the functions are terrific, all working great.

Poor paint job on the phaser 2 and misshapen chrome grill on the phaser 1. I'll post pics this evening.
My real concern at this time is actually getting a replacement from Star Trek.com. I've followed their instructions so far for returning manufacturing defects but nothing from them yet except the usual automated "We'll get back to you shortly." Has anyone had to deal with Star Trek.com for customer service of this type? What was your experience?

From what I understand, the only part of the Wand Phaser that was actually painted was the handle. The P1 and P2 body were both injection-molded with the colour mixed into the liquid plastic.

That's the explanation they gave in a similar discussion thread over at the TPZ.

Sounds to me like it wouldn't be a poor paint job, but rather some sort of defect in the plastic itself. I'm definitely interested to see those pics later to get a better idea of what happened to yours.

Last edited:
It's probably worth buying a bunch of these. I can seem them skyrocketing in value. It's such a good deal.
Don't go betting the farm on that. As any economist will tell you, the principal driver of value is scarcity. For these things to increase in value by very much, there would have to be relatively few of them.

Take Star Wars bubble gum cards for instance. I once found a shoebox full of originals, a complete collection in excellent condition, from 1977 or '78. I thought I'd found a gold mine. Then I went on eBay and priced them.

The entire collection was worth less than $5 (five dollars, not a typo), because they sold millions and millions of them back in the day. Everybody and his brother has at least one set.

So what do you think the odds are on these phasers ever becoming hard to find? How many of you have already bought more than one? China's not exactly known for producing small runs... :)

Also, prices are set in the marketplace by what people actually pay for goods and services, not by the prices they're offered at. Another example: how many of those $1,500 MR phasers do you actually see selling at that price? How many $1,000 communicator kits? I've never seen a single successful auction at those, um, optimistic* prices, and I've been watching Trek items for years and years...

And now that I've just said that, mine's here and I want 10 more... :p

- - - Updated - - -

I never see the MR phaser's going for less than a grand. am missing something?
I've seen many of them priced that high, but I've never actually seen one sell. Not saying it never happens, just that there can't be very many.

I would also be willing to bet that the market for MR phasers is going to drop now that the Wand Co. is out there. I'm sure some people were willing to pay the high price just because there was nothing else out there, and now there is.

I would also be willing to bet that the market for MR phasers is going to drop now that the Wand Co. is out there. I'm sure some people were willing to pay the high price just because there was nothing else out there, and now there is.

Now that, is worth betting on..The MR, I believe, originally sold for $300.00 or thereabouts, I don't remember since I bought the signature Shatner and Nimoy editions at $500.00 each directly from them, and got rid of them fairly soon after. However, since now, one can get these which to most, ( including myself) are visually as good looking, if not better in some cases, than the MR for a fraction of what that thing is going for, and the Wand is chock full of features, including some sound effects that did not come with the MR.. Now I won't say the MR will drop in price dramatically right away, but I believe with time, it will come down considerably, as the interest and demand will dwindle, since that demand will be satisfied with this new offering, and its not a low quality toy.. As a similar example: alot of Aurora Model kits from the 60's were worth a god awful fortune throughout the 80's, until they were reverse enjineered and reissued in pretty much the same way aurora did em..One of them was the Lost in Space Robot, which was selling for $850.00-900.00..Polar lights company copied it (Box, instruction sheet and all) and had it made in (where else?) China...An original generally sells nowadays for $200.00..So your theory does have some basis in what has, and what I believe will, have a very good chance of happening..

Last edited:
Buy a bunch if you want a bunch, but not because you think you can cash in on them later. Remember Cabbage Patch Kids? Every moron out there loaded up their attics and basements with them and waited a few years. When they went to sell them they were worthless. You know why? Because every moron had their attics and basements full of those hideous little trolls.

And I HATE those wankers who buy up everything just to sell 'em on ebay or wherever with jacked up prices. I'd like to jack them up.

Buy a bunch if you want a bunch, but not because you think you can cash in on them later. Remember Cabbage Patch Kids? Every moron out there loaded up their attics and basements with them and waited a few years. When they went to sell them they were worthless. You know why? Because every moron had their attics and basements full of those hideous little trolls.

And I HATE those wankers who buy up everything just to sell 'em on ebay or wherever with jacked up prices. I'd like to jack them up.
Yeah, that kinda says it all. :)

Yeah, that kinda says it all.
smile.png

Yeah, it sure does. Can't stand those folks either. That sort of thing really rubs me the wrong way.

I'd just buy up a couple or more of these simply because I'd want to; one to keep stock, one to upgrade the handle and maybe even one to do a B&W.

I can guarantee the resale value will never go up.

I own two.

My wife calls me the King of Buy High, Sell Low. I buy stuff that makes me happy, but nothing that makes me happy appreciates particularly well, house not included. Therefore my purchases have guaranteed that the Wand Phaser will never be worth much more than retail. Sorry about that.

Here's the misshaped sight grill:
IMG_0780.JPG

And it's a little trickier to see, but here's the "paint" issue. To the left of the grid lines it looks like the paint had pooled when it dried, so there's a discoloration that makes it look like there's a paint edge. When I ran my finger over it, it was smooth, but it looks like pooled paint.
IMG_0779.JPG
Wasn't too happy about the scratch next to the dilithium chamber knob either.

I just finished making several mods to my Wand phaser. I'm not the best picture taker but let me know what you think.

Mods included the following:

Polished all metal
Added screw to bottom front
Replaced ten turn
Replaced meter window (covered red light)
Painted side of raising site on the P1

and everything still works :)/>

Don't go betting the farm on that. As any economist will tell you, the principal driver of value is scarcity. For these things to increase in value by very much, there would have to be relatively few of them.

Take Star Wars bubble gum cards for instance. I once found a shoebox full of originals, a complete collection in excellent condition, from 1977 or '78. I thought I'd found a gold mine. Then I went on eBay and priced them.

The entire collection was worth less than $5 (five dollars, not a typo), because they sold millions and millions of them back in the day. Everybody and his brother has at least one set.

So what do you think the odds are on these phasers ever becoming hard to find? How many of you have already bought more than one? China's not exactly known for producing small runs... :)

Also, prices are set in the marketplace by what people actually pay for goods and services, not by the prices they're offered at. Another example: how many of those $1,500 MR phasers do you actually see selling at that price? How many $1,000 communicator kits? I've never seen a single successful auction at those, um, optimistic* prices, and I've been watching Trek items for years and years...

I sold a MR Nimoy Signature for $1,500 and an Artists Proof MR Phaser for $1000. But both had absolutely all the boxing and packing and paperwork exactly as new. They both were perfectly working, and pristine (no scuffs, no scratches and undisplayed), unlike some units sold on eBay that passed around more than a cheap date at Prom. I was the original owner too.

That said, I don't think the Wand would go up in price until well after they sell out years later.

I just finished making several mods to my Wand phaser. I'm not the best picture taker but let me know what you think.

Mods included the following:

Polished all metal
Added screw to bottom front
Replaced ten turn
Replaced meter window (covered red light)
Painted side of raising site on the P1

and everything still works :)/>

How did you replace the ten turn?

Last edited:

Boy...to many here,it seems that bottom screw is a VERY big deal...I rarely look under any replica myself, so it's not an issue for me...The jewel on the hand unit between the wheel and the meter is my big thing..but I haven't added it just yet...but hey...whatever floats anyone's boat...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back